cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

PacketLoss
Dabbler

Re: Problems with Webmail

I know everyone likes a good conspiracy. I can imagine a team of folks at Plusnet who've been through blood, sweat and tears. If they read this thread I can't possibly imagine why they'd not feel like sharing what they're doing in return.

Plusnet, appreciate this is most likely a challenging time but if you could provide a brief update it would be appreciated.
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

I appreciate that it might be nice to know what work has been carried out, however we're not prepared to go into detail about what work has been done and what remains to be done.

I know that's not the answer that you want to hear, but I am unable to provide further information at this time.

Edit *done not down*

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@JonoH wrote:

... we're not prepared to go into detail about what work has been done and what remains to be down.

Sometimes not saying something says a lot more than saying something.

This answer rather implies issues with third party kit which the third party would rather the world did not know.  We have seen this before from PN's network vendors.

It might though be something else ... whatever it is, it is very subtly broken or it would have been fixed long before now!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@JonoH  the first post here is 12/10/16   it is now 17/05/17  even though we may have had several incremental fixes the core problem still persists Knuppel

We are told to use a Email software to connect to Web mail , but this has not cured anything ! if you have time read some posts here Shocked its not a 100% fix and still has problems with connections .

While i do agree sometimes it works Mostly mornings are ok , but then it just breaks down :(.

So i do not accept we do not deserve some kind of explanation  rather than just 

we're not prepared to go into detail about what work has been done and what remains to be down.

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

I suspect that there is a commercial reality here.  There is a difference between what we think we deserve in terms of answers and what PlusNet are prepared to say (not commercially constrained against saying) what is wrong here.  My guess is that one key bit of the technology stack is not working to specification, therefore a disclosure of which bit would (understandably) be something Plusnet would seek to avoid doing.

Do people recall how a couple of years ago all suddenly went quiet on the cause of problems when the new generation of BNG network servers died under stress well below their top capacity?  Note we never see "we are working with our vendors..." messages these days.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@JonoH

I hear what you're saying but from a customer perspective I see little evidence of anything being done to rectify this issue. Sure there's been a few good days but on the whole the service is still abysmal most of the time. Plusnet staff have commented several times that it's not going to be a quick fix or a eureka moment but given the length of time taken thus far one could be forgiven for thinking those comments are nothing more than a lot of 'hot air'!

Adding insult to injury, today Plusnet have sent me an email telling me that they're increasing my monthly payments! They should be giving us all a rebate for having to endure such a dire service not charging us more!

PacketLoss
Dabbler

@Anon

It depends how you look at it I guess. I didn't even know I got email with my package. I'm not sure if the other isp's still provide email but I'd imagine they would be pretty quick to announce that, if that was the plan.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Why are domain names so expensive?

I could learn to setup my own mailserver & I'm sure it would work better than Plusnet's effort.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Domain name prices have gone up recently but they're still perfectly affordable - I have about 8 of various kinds...

Webmail is perfectly tedious today!

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

PN look like their fixes are going one step forward the 4 steps backwards Crazy3

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anon
Pro

@PacketLoss wrote:
@Anon

It depends how you look at it I guess. I didn't even know I got email with my package. I'm not sure if the other isp's still provide email but I'd imagine they would be pretty quick to announce that, if that was the plan.

You tell me an ISP that does not provide free email, all the ISP's I have been with and the ones I looked up today do provide this service free.

Pnet do provide a dis-service free.

The mind boggles at what would happen if Pnet had a major problem with broadband, if it takes two years to not fix email.

No, only explanation, they want to get customers so weed off with the dis-service that they stop using it, the more that stop using it the less they need to bother putting their tongues in their cheeks and saying they are doing something.

Quite frankly, I just do not believe them, that's why they won't tell us what is happening, because NOTHING IS happening, IMHO.

Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

"Use an email client" they say - well I got this message on my phone yesterday for the first time...

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

@drj did it connect fine after retrying?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable

@drj wrote:

"Use an email client" they say - well I got this message on my phone yesterday for the first time...

They don't use SSL/TLS for imap/pop/smtp... So I would stick to webmail.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@VileReynard wrote:

Why are domain names so expensive?

I could learn to setup my own mailserver & I'm sure it would work better than Plusnet's effort.

It's one thing to setup an email server. It's another to have and maintain a secure email server. Unless you want to learn about it, or make a business out of it, it's not worth the hassle... unless you're a glutton for punishment.