Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Problems with Webmail

I recognise you're frustrated, but let's keep this thread specific to the current email issues. If you want to discuss the Ofcom findings, or any other aspect of our service, then feel free to start a separate thread.

Edit: @JonoH beat me to it Roll_eyes

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

The fine has nowt to do with the webmail , we are  losing track,,,,  But @bobpullen is the top guy at PN if he says something he is always correct .

But i do still say this has dragged on far Too long !!!!

Ps Maybe if Plusnet had sorted the billing system years ago as promised they may have not been fined

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
annthomasltd
Rising Star

bazzer
Pro

@bobpullen For the most part of today I have had reasonably quick access to my mails on Webmail but now at 8pm everything has slowed down with the Server Error message displaying.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

bobpullen wrote: 

This was why the website was down. It had nothing to do with Webmail.

Now you tell me! So it's like I suggested previously, the information was tucked away in some obscure place where none of us would even visit on a regular basis. I'm sorry I'm not trying to be dogmatic about this but that link you provided takes me to a web page I've never seen in all my time as your customer. How would I have even known about the existence of this webpage prior to you sending me a link? I don't see it advertised on any other pages.

I mentioned this only recently in ways to improve the website, if your going to make life changing statements about service interruptions or availability the least you could do is advertise them more openly and in a more obvious location. What about a scrolling bulletin on the header of each page alerting to such events? Why should we as customers do all the leg work to find out if our service will be working from one day to the next?

I've been caught like this before.., you lose service/connection and the first thing you try is resetting your router, if that doesn't work you try something else. All wasted time which I'm sure could be sent doing something more important. Nine times out of ten when incidents such as these have happened I'm only able to discover the truth about what really happened after the event and after I've wasted an evening trying to sort out a problem which didn't exist.

Okay so the other nights problem was only a loss of PN's website so no big deal but surely there has to be better ways to communicate with your customers. You have all our email addresses so what about a group email to notify when the service will be taken down?

Just some ideas anyway if you're interested Wink

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@MKSlinky you can subscribe and get notifications of upcoming work on the Usertools site (http://usertools.plus.net/status/email.php)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

... or you could use the RSS feed: http://usertools.plus.net/status/status.xml

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Or you could take a better look around this site!

Forum_-_Plusnet_Community_-_2017-03-22_20.53.34.png

Here's the same information as Bob linked: https://community.plus.net/t5/Service-Status/Planned-Website-Maintenance-13th-March-23-00-14th-March...

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Browni

Thanks for this.., yes I had gathered from Bob's earlier link I could probably subscribe but I have little interest in most of what goes on with that site. I'm sure there are those that do find it interesting though.

@jelv

Yes fully aware of that area of the forum thanks! I'd still like this information displayed somewhere more visible though, we shouldn't have to keep searching for these things. Most of us expect the service to be working and are unlikely to keep checking just in case.

It's a bit like the tyres on your car, you know you can get a blowout but would you think to check them every day just in case? I think not! Now if we had a warning light on the dashboard alerting us of said blowout none of us would need worry.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

@MKSlinky

That board is there, you can subscribe to it so you get emailed every time a post is made in there. You would see the notification count change at the top of the screen beside your name and avatar as well as in the useful links at the bottom of the page.

You've had two other suggestions as to how you can get notifications automatically (one by email and one by RSS).

Your comment about the warning light in the car: it is not uncommon to hear of idiotic people driving on after the warning light came on and then the car breaking down - that is exactly what you are doing by ignoring the totally adequate notifications that are available.

There may be a case for better signposts to the various options, but no new options are needed.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've just realised we've failed to post a link to the actual source of all of these feeds which is the Service Status page (this has a prominent link the main Help and Support page in the members area of member Centre).

http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&%3fhelpheader=servicestatus

The reason Bob posted a link to the usertools site is because you can't post a link to an individual article on the Service Status pages whereas you can to articles on the usertools site.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@jelv wrote:

@MKSlinky

Your comment about the warning light in the car: it is not uncommon to hear of idiotic people driving on after the warning light came on and then the car breaking down - that is exactly what you are doing by ignoring the totally adequate notifications that are available.

There may be a case for better signposts to the various options, but no new options are needed.

Now hang on a minute, are you by any chance saying that I'm one of those idiotic people that chooses to ignore such notifications? Huh 

that is exactly what you are doing by ignoring the totally adequate notifications that are available.

Adequate notifications to you perhaps but some of us have better things to be doing with our lives. Aren't you the one who left PN under a dark cloud? Why do you still continually post here and make sniping comments? 

When I posted that idea in another thread about making important notifications more visible it was agreed by one staff member that the idea was quite a good one and PN have been wanting to change this for some time.

As I already mentioned I'm fully aware of the Service Status pages but I'm mentioning this for other peoples benefit too, not everyone thinks to look in those areas of the forum on a daily basis and neither do I. I have no interest in subscribing to the pages Bob sent in his link, I already get enough spam without anymore. As for RSS, I've never used it and until you mentioned it, I've never really understood what it is for. A quick Google seems to suggest I need to install a feed reader which seems a little overkill just to be notified about one solitary piece of information, 'Service Status'.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

For God's sake stop digging a bigger hole by contradicting yourself.

One minute you are complaining about not being kept informed and the next complaining about the suggestion of subscribing to email, RSS or forum notifications because you get too much spam. Make your mind up!

If you'd actually tried using all (or even any) of the various ways you could keep yourself informed and found them lacking you'd have grounds for comment.

I give you credit for one thing: you have succeeded  in totally derailing this topic about a serious issue with the services Plusnet offer.

@MKSlinky wrote:
Aren't you the one who left PN under a dark cloud? Why do you still continually post here and make sniping comments?

I totally fail to understand what you mean by the dark cloud comment. I've explained why I continue to post: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Why-I-have-left-Plusnet/m-p/1425593#M76545

cassuki
Rising Star

I've just logged into one of my mailboxes and been unable to send an email. It generated an error message I've not seen before:

SMPT Error (452): Failed to add recipient

"username@domain" (<username@domain> too many recipients in last hour).

I thought perhaps the account had been hacked so I checked the sent folder.  No emails have gone out from that account since Tuesday.  I've tried several times but it just won't let me send any emails.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

That does imply you've hit the recipient limit. How many people are you trying to send the email to?

Note that the limit will apply to all email sent via our relay servers, not just that sent using Webmail.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵