Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Problems with Webmail

@bobpullen

Some people are saying it is OK and for others it is definitely not OK. Is the issue the back-end storage and is it only affecting certain TLKs?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@jelv @MKSlinky

Hi Guys, I know it's frustrating but Plusnet will not be going into specifics about what is wrong.

We know there are problems, we're working to resolve them however there is unlikely to be one piece of work that fixes everything and it's much more likely that you will see a number of incremental improvements.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
bazzer
Pro

@JonoH Why? What's the big secret and why is it causing PN so much difficulty to resolve.

PN's lack of openness is now a big part of this issue because PN is making such a big deal of keeping whatever the problem is under the covers.

I don't get what the big issue is when all I'm asking to do is retrieve small amounts of data from one hard drive to another.

Given that people can go on YouTube and watch HD content in a second the act of receiving email via Webmail consumes a fraction of the broadband required.

Why don't PN just tell us what the issue is and provide some sense of hope that it will be resolved soon?

Bauhaus100
Dabbler

Ok JonoH, if you can't go into the specifics of what's wrong (and has been for the last year or so) can you let us know why you're unable to provide this information? Is it that you still don't know what the problem is? or a commercial confidentiality issue?

To be clear, I appreciate that you can't tell us what's wrong, but why can't you tell is?

bazzer
Pro

To my mind if PN can't say what the issue is it will be because commercially it will be hugely damaging and fly in the face of all the self advertised greatness that PN purports.

The issues we have been complaining about for the past year have been grossly mismanaged and communicated by PN which adds to the dissatisfaction that at least I have with PN and this ridiculous saga.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Whatever the problem is , they just cant Fix it Roll_eyes 

it must be a serious problem when all they can do is small incremental test fixes , in the hope eventually it will fix itself Undecided

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@jelv wrote:

@bobpullen

Some people are saying it is OK and for others it is definitely not OK. Is the issue the back-end storage and is it only affecting certain TLKs?

Whilst there is a noticeable difference between certain accounts, we don't believe it to be TLK related. Optimisation/changes have been made to the storage, but bone of contention is network-related we suspect. We've made some routing changes over the last day or so that's resulted in visible improvements from a load perspective. I'd be interested to know if this has translated to a better customer experience for anybody?

We're awaiting some more kit to make further alterations to the network side of things over the coming weeks.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bazzer
Pro

@bobpullen Yesterday, for me, was awful. Today there is noticeable improvement. But, it can be like this time and time again.

One minute things are OK and the next it's back to slow or no access.

There's no uniformity and, therefore, no guarantee as to what is to be expected from one day to the next.

BTW - What's TLK?

annthomasltd
Rising Star

Hang on, that was a direct answer to direct question, in answer to jelv. What's going on 

jelv
Seasoned Hero

@bobpullen

Bob, won't heavily populated TLKs require more network access to navigate the directories? If so I'd expect network issues to affect them more than the sparsely populated ones.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

TLK is a TLA (and that's closer to a full description than it might appear at first).

Here's a post from some years ago where I described it (although as noted at the end I got it slightly wrong, it is 3 not 2).

TLK

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@JonoH

Not wishing to seem cynical but aren't you just conveniently dodging your customers questions here ?

What about my previous posting and that evidential screenshot showing that Plusnet DID take the website down?

It was mentioned quite recently by PN that taking the website down to fix this problem with Webmail is NOT going to happen so WHY was it? Was it done during the early hours in the hope nobody would notice you did a u-turn on your decision?

We're constantly told in this thread that we as customers are encouraged to continue posting our concerns as it provides valuable information to your engineers, I did believe that to begin with but again not wishing to seem cynical what I think is really happening is a little reverse psychology, i.e. while we continue to post comments it takes the heat off you guys and you can continue with your campaign of silence. 

@annthomasltd

I agree with your comments, @bobpullen seems like the only person here offering any sensible comments, the rest of the staff input seems geared to 'non disclosure' and a general apathy towards saying anything of any sense.

I've seen all this before with a company much larger than PN and who have global dominance in the technology market. Customers were continually fobbed off over faulty products and yet that company did nothing to resolve those issues. Moreover it continually lied about the problems in the hope that customers would simply tire of complaining. Does that problem still exist? Yes and if you were to read their forums the threats of legal action against this retailer are many, I even made similar threats for what good it did. 

Sadly it seems like with the company above, PN are just another faceless organisation who take comfort in hiding behind their wall of silence.  

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@bazzer wrote:
BTW - What's TLK?

@See @jelv's post up there ^

@annthomasltd, sorry you feel so passionately about the situation. The recent Ofcom announcement has nothing to do with Webmail though. It affected ~1000 customers over the last decade or so, we reported it to Ofcom ourselves and we've made every effort to issue customers with a refund (plus interest).

Where we couldn't get in touch with customers, we've donated the money to a number of local charities and steps have been put in place to avoid a recurrence.

@jelv wrote:
@bobpullen
Bob, won't heavily populated TLKs require more network access to navigate the directories?

You're right to a degree but we've seen noticeable differences between test accounts that all sit under the same TLK. 

@MKSlinky wrote:
What about my previous posting and that evidential screenshot showing that Plusnet DID take the website down?

It was mentioned quite recently by PN that taking the website down to fix this problem with Webmail is NOT going to happen so WHY was it? Was it done during the early hours in the hope nobody would notice you did a u-turn on your decision?

This was why the website was down. It had nothing to do with Webmail.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

annthomasltd
Rising Star

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager