Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Problems with Webmail

@bobpullen wrote:

if you're so heavily reliant on your email account then I'd strongly suggest you consider setting up direct access using a dedicated email application like Outlook or Thunderbird.

@bobpullen

This advice appears regularly in response to this issue, but are not the problems with Webmail also affecting performance of email clients set up using IMAP? I regularly get timeouts, delays moving messages to Trash and other folders, delays or incomplete deletion of the contents of the Trash folder, using Windows Live Mail or stock Android-based mail clients on tablet and smartphone.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
metalsman
Hooked

I use an email client (Office Outlook) on IMAP and since last year have had continual problems.  Strangely however, the last few days have seen a  great email service for me unlike what others have been seeing. Why the difference?

bazzer
Pro

Rather than being told what to do to avoid using Webmail I'd like once and for all to be told that the issues have been fixed.

Why not tell customers to go to another provider if PN can't sort this mess out?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Clearly, [-Censored-] are incompetent in all things related to emails.

Interesting.

[removed] gets censored.....

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Avoidance of forum rule edited.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@bobpullen

I have to agree with others here I'm afraid, the suggestion to use an email client to get around the problem of Webmail doesn't make the slightest bit of difference if I'm honest. Granted we might be able to access our email client more easily but the same problem exists.., i.e. our mail clients still cannot sync and download messages from the Webmail servers.

Since his problem began many moons ago my experience with Plusnet's email service has been pretty inconsistent, some days it seems to download messages to my email client relatively quickly whereas other days it doesn't download messages at all. Quite often as other people have mentioned we get 'time out errors' in our mail clients.

More recently it seems this problem has gotten much worse and the frequency and inability to download messages has become more evident. Today however I would say the server response time is slightly improved and is taking around 50 seconds to check for new messages which again is not quick by any means.

Unlike some people here my mail boxes are relatively empty and I stay on top of my mail as it arrives. The only mail folder which does have a large amount of un-deleted emails (around 252) is the 'Old Trash' folder which I still cannot empty due to the server 'Acl' error notifications I contacted you about in a recent PM.

It might be useful to know if this problem is directly related to congested email folders? A few people here have mentioned recently that they've been contacted by PN and asked to clean up some congested folders or risk having them emptied for them. Is this truly the case?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

My Suggestion for whats its worth , PN has increased its customers BUT not increased their webmail servers !

they are hoping webmail from 10 or more years ago will suffice in present day Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@maranello wrote:
@bobpullen wrote:

if you're so heavily reliant on your email account then I'd strongly suggest you consider setting up direct access using a dedicated email application like Outlook or Thunderbird.

@bobpullen

This advice appears regularly in response to this issue, but are not the problems with Webmail also affecting performance of email clients set up using IMAP?

Yes, but to a lesser degree. In my personal experience, I have an IMAP account that's nigh on inaccessible via Webmail, but works moderately well using an email client (Thunderbird in this case).

@rongtw, your suggestion isn't accurate. Additional server capacity has been introduced this calendar year.

@MKSlinky, I've asked one of our engineers to get rid of that redundant trash folder for you. Regarding the congested email folders, it's not directly related but it certainly won't be helping.

@bobpullen wrote:

@rongtw, the software update has been rescheduled to next Tuesday. Early this morning, a different change was scheduled - I'm trying to establish if it went ahead or not because things still seem pretty dire to me Sad

This morning's change didn't happen because we ran into problems. I'll let people know once it's been reattempted.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

cuke
Grafter

Today all I wanted to do is read one email and reply to it and the process has taken me 40 minutes to complete. Basically plusnet's webmail has turned my 40Mbps connection into dialup and yet they still come up with the same excuses. Plusnet? Patheticnet more like...

bazzer
Pro

Dialup was never that slow.

vanessen
Rising Star

Briefly, at 07:00 on Thursday morning, webmail was quite fast and we were able to get that important message and respond.

Since then, it has been next to useless. 

bobpullen:  It is not helpful to advise using an email client.  We access webmail from a variety of portable devices when away from home, which is often.  Apart from the opinions that using IMAP would make very little difference anyhow.

And another unhelpful thing is the repeated request to 'spend a minute or two' deleting emails, with the threat of PN deleting my emails  (which they have done in the past with virtually no warning), when

- there is no convenient way of monitoring the size of usage - you have to go to Personal Setings, Folders, select one folder, the 'Click to get Folder Size' and this is currently taking about 4 minutes per folder, and this is before trying to select the largest messages and decide what to do with them.

- trying to select and delete (or forward) mails currently takes some minutes each, with constant danger of 'service unavailable'.

What would be helpful, would be for PN to turn off the threats (that your emails will be deleted unpredictably by PN), at least until there is a reliable and fast webmail service again. 

Worth considering, Plusnet?

cassuki
Rising Star

Good luck with that request. I have made the same suggestion via the messaging facility, by phone and online chat. I was told they cannot do that because it is an automated process. That response really means they are not prepared to do it. Automated processes can be switched off or amended. They simply do not want to help customers who are suffering as a result of these problems. I think their stance is grossly unfair and has irrevocably tarnished my opinion of them. In the past I have recommended PlusNet but won't ever do so again.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@vanessen wrote:
bobpullen:  It is not helpful to advise using an email client.  We access webmail from a variety of portable devices when away from home, which is often. 

The vast majority of portable devices have IMAP clients available to them. I'm not suggesting it as a solution, I'm just trying to be helpful. If I was currently reliant on a Plusnet mailbox for anything critical, then I would not be using Webmail, I'd be using a direct IMAP connection which is far more reliable and resilient to errors.

And another unhelpful thing is the repeated request to 'spend a minute or two' deleting emails, with the threat of PN deleting my emails  (which they have done in the past with virtually no warning), when

- there is no convenient way of monitoring the size of usage - you have to go to Personal Setings, Folders, select one folder, the 'Click to get Folder Size' and this is currently taking about 4 minutes per folder, and this is before trying to select the largest messages and decide what to do with them.

Whereas with an IMAP client like Thunderbird you just right-click the folder and select Properties Wink

folder-size.JPG

- trying to select and delete (or forward) mails currently takes some minutes each, with constant danger of 'service unavailable'.

Again, this is likely to be much less cumbersome using a mail client.

What would be helpful, would be for PN to turn off the threats (that your emails will be deleted unpredictably by PN), at least until there is a reliable and fast webmail service again. 

Worth considering, Plusnet?

Switching off the mail policing will further exacerbate the problem due to the incremental load caused by customers logging into over-saturated mailboxes. I can see where you're coming from, and share your frustration, but this really wouldn't be a wise move.

Save

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

kenm
Grafter

Our email is virtually non existent today 10/03/17.

Cannot even compose an email. The message box has shrunk to a quarter of the normal size and is partially concealing the people I am replying to. Tried to send anyway and even that failed.

colintivy
Rising Star

For some time I have been dealing with all routine matters Webmail on Saturdays and Sundays and ,so far, with complete success! All day the basic system runs quickly and smoothly. I do not use any of the other gambits to get round the difficulties because I am unclear of their own difficulties and can live with the weekday nausea if things are really urgent. But I fully understand the feelings of most of the loyal members. The sooner the problems are satisfactorily overcome the better but the lack of clarity about what actually has gone wrong is quite alarming.

SadHuh

mrob
Grafter

We shouldn't have to be putting up with a webmail service that for so many people is only properly usable at weekends, though...and this has gone on so long.

I find myself back with what so often is the webmail norm...error messages/ sometimes can't log in/ pages not loading/ service unavailable messages/etc, etc.