Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Problems with Webmail

I took the plunge to get my own domain for email about 6 years ago during an earlier period of mail instability  and have progressively been moving my contacts across since then.  Initially a slow process, but with this new set of problems I've been more aggressive.  Now down to around 5 (inc Plusnet).  Sub accounts closed down and shortly to put an auto-forward on postmaster@..... to catch the stragglers.  It's now just too unreliable.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Here's a new one. I'm currently operating two computers side by side as I'm gradually moving from one to the other.

I've just had two "timeouts" on webmail on the XP machine running up-to-date Firefox - but when I tried on my W10 machine it's working fine.

What would cause the difference - the XP one was working fine earlier...

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

This is a stab in the dark so I might be wrong but since Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft it could be that the operating system is now lacking in important features or updates which Windows 10 has.

I noticed that I got regular time outs in webmail running Windows 7 but it doesn't happen in Windows 10 for some reason. Probably it's just better equipped at dealing with these kind of issues.

cassuki
Rising Star

The XP v W10 is most likely a red herring. I assume there are multiple servers and it depends which server you connect to.I have W10 on both my home and work machines and webmail is dire on both most of the time with odd times when it works but very slowly. I tried setting up access on my iPad but that is even worse, I can rarely get to the inbox, it usually says it cannot connect to the server.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@cassuki wrote:

I assume there are multiple servers

Correct:

C:\Users\John>nslookup webmail.plus.net
Server:  dns2.aa.net.uk
Address:  217.169.20.21

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    webmail.plus.net
Addresses:  212.159.9.164

Not only are there multiple servers but they are on two different sites.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
cassuki
Rising Star

The notifications people are mentioning regarding this are likely just more noticeable now as they weren't sent out as often as they should have been in the past, whereas they are now automated and include more useful information regarding the current usage of each mailbox connected to the account.

I don't think it is a question of them not being sent out as often as they should in the past. I have had them in the past but since this issue started they have become more frequent because I often can't get in to clear out emails and when I do it takes so long to clear them.  Over a 3 week period, I estimated that I spent somewhere in the region of 21 hours trying to clear out unwanted emails to get back under the 1Gb. When I managed to get in and delete a significant number, I usually then found that I couldn't empty the deleted items folder because it kept disconnecting and I'd spend half an hour or so just trying to get back in to empty it.

I had a particular problem with this before Christmas having been in hospital and not able to use my PC and I asked for the threatened archiving and deletion to be postponed. The response was that it wasn't possible to do this because it was an automated process.  I was not impressed with this answer. Automated processes can be switched off or amended. The real issue was simply that they weren't prepared to help.  Given the ongoing issues and the lack of progress, I think this attitude stinks and shows a total lack of respect for customers.

I also don't understand the attitude that the 1Gb limit is fixed for everyone and you can't pay to have a larger limit. That in itself is losing them custom. I know someone who was going to open a business account but didn't when they found out about this limit. With hindsight that particular customer was lucky they didn't sign up.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i haven't seen this for a few weeks   Sad

webmail.PNG

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hi All,

I wanted to make you aware that webmail will be unavailable on Thursday morning between around 6am and 9am, whilst it's unavailable we will be updating the Roundcube software to a new version. This new version does not have a calendar function and all customers that use this functionality have been contacted separately.

Just to be clear and manage expectations, this maintenance will not fix the issues we're having with mail and is just one part of our plans to improve mail performance.

If any of you experience anything unusual after this window please let us know.

Thanks

Edit* added name of software being upgraded

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

@JonoH

Will the Basic (Squirrelmail) still work?

My other car isn't a Ferrari
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@maranello Squirrelmail is not being touched, we're updating Roundcube to a new version.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Is it Thursday already ?Huh

PN webmail.PNG

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
bazzer
Pro

Rather than announcing the days webmail won't be working it would probably be more helpful to announce the days it will be working!

AmigaMan
Rising Star

It looks like PlusNet have swapped the leads round again and it's my turn for poor service. I've been unable to access Webmail since 6.20 this morning!

bazzer
Pro

You must have missed your download slot Grin

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@bazzer wrote:

............. it would probably be more helpful to announce the days it will be working!

But then the posts would be even less frequent?  Undecided

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.