Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Problems with Webmail

@neilhobbs wrote:

it's time to move on and get on with life...

I agree

My other car isn't a Ferrari
vanessen
Rising Star

As I have had 1200+ emails from Plusnet notifying me that some one has posted to 'Problems with Webmail', or to the previous thread 'Webmail - Extremely Slow', this probably does not help the speed of the webmail system, for me or for Plusnet, and I would like to know how to turn off these notifications.  'Forum Settings' has been mentioned - where's that to be found?  Thanks for any guidance, anyone.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Hi @vanessen,

If you'd like to stop the emails coming from this particular thread you can unsubscribe by clicking on the 'thread options' menu at the top of the page and clicking the 'unsubscribe' option. That will stop emails coming from any replies posted on this thread.

You can review all your email subscriptions on the Community via this page:

https://community.plus.net/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-subscriptions

To turn off all email notifications completely or adjust them to behave differently, you can change those settings here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-subscriptions:notification-settings

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

vanessen
Rising Star

jaread33:

Thanks - just what I needed.  I somewhat overstated the number of notifications I've had - nearer 1100 than 1200 in fact.  Two very big threads with many subscribers, most of whom probably have the default settings - ie notifications of every post.  Self-worsening problem?

Ronski
Rising Star

@jaread83 I'm still getting multiple emails for this thread - see below

https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Forum-email-notifications/td-p/1410675

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Webmail positively racy this evening. Have managed to delete 1000's of old emails in the kids accounts that PN have been hassling me about. Also been offered a pretty decent retention deal. Maybe I'll stay Grin 

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

webmail for was pants Sad  was awaiting a important Email i kept getting timed out error while trying to load it Sad Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
mickledore
Dabbler

Very good service this morning.

I've just been sent a load of mails that I deleted last week. So I've had to delete tham all over again.

Never got a phone call as promised. Instead I was sent a mail saying that there is no problem at all and it must be my fault. They asked for a response. They got one!

colintivy
Rising Star

Sunday (yesterday), emails service right up to top hole. I was able to clear up a lot of junk without any delays at all !!!!

Today things have gone back to normal sadly. This seems to validate a theory that the current hardware is just vastly overloaded and needs replacement with faster kit with a large amount of spare room. I guess that BT will not let PN have the investment to do the job properly, hoping that the loss of a few thousand users will allow the those left to be served by the existing kit with a adequate performance ????

Shocked

vanessen
Rising Star

I am about to depart for some weeks abroad and dread trying to keep up with emails though my Plusnet webmail account.  I can only hope that with the time difference, I can get on in the very early morning (UK time) when there is some chance of success.  Another problem is the complete absence of any variant of Squirrelmail or Roundcube (ie the normal or 'Advanced' webmails), which would help to read and deal with the emails on a phone or small tablet.  Roundcube itself apparently has developed 'skins' for mobile use but nothing seems to be available for us Plusnet Webmail users - or am I wrong?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Why not set up (before you travel) and use the native email app on your phone/tablet?

What make and model of these will you be using?

David
vanessen
Rising Star

David:

Thanks very much for your clue that there is a solution.  The answer to your first question is, because I don't know what a 'native email app' is.  For your second question, between us, Samsung Galaxy y (variant of Galaxy mini), Samsung Galaxy Core Prime, iPhone 4 and iPhone 5.  I very much look forward to hearing more.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Hi @vanessen

The native email app is just the email application that is installed on your phone as a standard way to send and receive emails. For iPhone its simply called 'Mail', I think its called 'Email' on the Samsung devices.

We have an archive of how to set up Android and iOS devices on the following links:

https://www.plus.net/help/archive/email/android-setup/

https://www.plus.net/help/archive/email/ios-setup/

Please be aware that these are archived guides and may not be entirely accurate as software has been updated since these were created. At least in the guides it gives you the important info you need.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

vanessen
Rising Star

Thank you very much for your guidance.  I feel that this is not really a 'problem' so I am reluctant to continue within this 'Problems with Webmail' topic. 
To finish though, if I use such apps, they are POP or IMAP, so they get the emails onto the device - don't they extract them from your servers?
That would be most undesirable of course.  If there's a better place to continue this, I'd prefer to go there.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@vanessen

Quick answer to your question about IMAP/POP. IMAP leaves emails on the server (until you delete them). POP downloads and removes them on access. So you need IMAP which behaves exactly the same as webmail.

-----------------------

To get started I suggest trying to set up mail on an iPhone.

The guide for ios-setup linked by @jaread83 above is a good starting point. As Jack mentioned the process shown needs slight adaptation.

After tapping Settings and Mail (shorter name now) you need to tap Accounts (top right) to get the accounts list displaying "Add Account". Tap Other and continue as described. Leave the selection as IMAP.

When you get to the Outgoing Mail Server section make sure you fill in the same name and password as for incoming.

After tapping Next at the end of Step 5 it goes into a verifying state which might take a couple of minutes before the first SSL message appears. This relates to the incoming server (though you aren't told that) and you need to tap Yes. Wait again and do the same for the Outging server.

After tapping Save as instructed the account will be set up. However to get Drafts, Sent and Deleted to work the same as webmail a small revision is needed.

In Settings-> Mail-> Accounts again, tap the account in the list, then Tap Account at the top to get a pop-up.

Scroll down and tap Advanced at the bottom
In Mailbox Behaviours tap Drafts, Sent and Deleted in turn and select Drafts, Sent and Trash in the Server section.
Tap <Account to go back, then Done and exit.

To try Mail tap the Mail icon (on the Home screens).

David