cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

bazzer
Pro

Re: Problems with Webmail

@HarryB Admittedly I did not see the most recent update but read the updates below it and they all mostly say the same.

This issue has been ongoing for many months so I wonder why the most recent measures undertaken were not conducted a lot sooner.

I hear what you say about the reasons for not giving a timeline but, in all honesty, I'm of the opinion it's because PN cannot resolve it fully and most probably due to costs.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@HarryB    The Webmail storage and severs were supposedly increased / fixed last year Lips_are_sealed

Your replies are just the same as we have had previously ,  nowt new . meanwhile the So called small amount of customers affected

Still experience the same extremely SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW webmail with no improvements !!

i have just tried my webmail ,  2 minuets from log on until Emails were displayed   Sad

690 posts here Sad  and still the same as was on first post Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@VileReynard wrote:

Do you work for Plusnet?

If you're question is directed at me then YES, I'm a secret spy so behave already!!  Funny

bazzer
Pro

He will say zis only once Grin

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Why do PlusNet CS guys persistently talk about 'Webmail problems' as though Webmail itself was the problem. It's not, it's the email service as a whole which isn't performing.

I connect via Outlook and it has just taken 11 minutes to synchronise my IMAP folders but of course it still takes ages to open any single new email. If I try my iPad it just displays the rotating symbol of death while it waits for the server to respond.

I don't believe for a moment that the service is fine for any users (CS keep saying 'some users are having problems'). The service is only fine at times of the day when nothing much is happening but just now for instance it is simply unusable. And this after how many months?

You're certainly not doing ME proud!

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Webmail hopeless to the point of being unusable this afternoon

vanessen
Rising Star

Yesterday, and this morning, Plusnet Webmail was usable - still slow and with occasional log-outs.  But now, I'm trying to reply to an earlier message and I can get the list of folders displayed, but no actual messages.  I get  "Server Error - Request Timed Out" after several minutes.  It is completely unusable ...again.  I've been trying again while I compose this - same Server Error comes up again.  And again.

And now there's a new twist to Plusnet services.  Their sister company, Just-The-Name, which is a Domain Registrar, holding and renewing 5 domains for us, and has been helpful over the years, admittedly with some faults, has just announced that it is closing at the end of June.  They say:

"Just the Name will be closing on 1st July 2017. Due to the increasingly competitive market, we are no longer able to offer a viable alternative to other larger registrars and have taken the decision to close Just the Name. We will be investing in other parts of our overall business, ensuring we offer our customers the best service possible in those areas."  I assume the 'overall business' means BT?

I'm sorry to see Just-The-Name closing, as our domains are tied into websites and also Plusnet's webmail, but it will start me on a process of finding an alternative Registrar, an alternative to Plusnet's webmail, and, because of the problems with webmail, a replacement for Plusnet as an ISP. 

neilhobbs
Rising Star

@quelquod wrote:

Why do PlusNet CS guys persistently talk about 'Webmail problems'....  it's the email service as a whole which isn't performing.

I connect via Outlook and it has just taken 11 minutes to synchronise my IMAP folders...

I don't believe for a moment that the service is fine for any users (CS keep saying 'some users are having problems'). The service is only fine at times of the day when nothing much is happening but just now for instance it is simply unusable. And this after how many months?

You're certainly not doing ME proud!

My Outlook/IMAP access this afternoon is terrible...  I am getting a similar performance and experience...

The Plusnet guys choose not to listen and answer only what they want to...

You just have to look at the number of people that have posted in this thread as well as the countless over 'Email' related posts of this forum to see how terrible the 'Email Service' is performing...  Plusnet are just refusing to acknowledge anything...

From everything that I am both experiencing myself and from what I am seeing the other guys post - the Email Platform hasn't been sized appropriately to do the job - therefore it isn't fit for purpose and Plusnet don't have the money or the interest to resolve the issues...

Like yourself @quelquod Plusnet are not doing ME proud either!

neilhobbs
Rising Star

I have just logged into the Webmail site for a laugh...  it took over 10 mins for the system to log me in and display the content and when it finally did load up, I was greeted with the following;

Webmail Slowness.JPG

As you can clearly see the Webmail site was so slow that it was unable to connect to and display the above five e-mails.  I can see them in Outlook...  however the IMAP access has just completely stopped now.

So here is the proof that the whole Email Platform is not fit for purpose!

mickledore
Dabbler

@HarryB

Hi there. I presume you are either a paid employee of PN or are unhealthily close to them in some way. I'll have to tread carefully.

You state that Service Status reports indicate that steps have been taken to correct the faults and there are now imporvements to be seen. Really? Where? My service is getting worse by the day. Just after Xmas there was a full days outage and I was told this was because the problems were being fixed. Lies. Sorry that's the only word I can think of. That word comes to mind a lot with PN.

The problems are increasing with more and more time being needed to get into Webmail, on an increasing frequency. This always seem to be worse in an afternoon. Why? This is when the volume is greatest. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that the infrastructure cannot cope. It doesn't matter what changes have been made; they have failed. The reluctance to adequately rectify this ongoing, and well known, problem must be due to a management decision. A simple one that. Don't spend the money. Keep the profits up. Keep the dividends up. Corporate greed at it's best, or should that be worst?

I'm sorry but I haven't yet found these Service Staus reports, so I can't comment too fully on them. I only found this site on Saturday, but before then had resorted to ringing the laughingly entitled "Helpline". I have spoken to a variety of "helpers" who all tell me that there are no ongoing problems that they are aware of. They have apparently had no notifications of any problems, and as far as they are all aware the system is working normally. This means that either they cannot see the Service Status reports or know that the information in there is a load of [-Censored-]. Should I use the word "Lies" again?

There is also a statement that e-mail is a free add on to the service so we should be lucky that we are given it, and can make no complaint about it. Really? I'm incredulous at the attitude of PN. Can you honestly say that anyone would have signed up if the initial position was that you can have all facilities but go elsewhere for your e-mail provision? You know, I know and everyone else knows that wouldn't wash. It may be that legally and in the small print that is the position. We also know that when companies start quoting small print in response to a problem this means two things:-

1) They know about the problem and can't be bothered to fix it.

2) They couldn't care less about the customers so long as they keep on paying.

So now we come to today's events. You may recall that in my conversation with the aforementioned Helpdesk on Friday I was told that my problem would be passed to the technical guys. They work all weekend and would fix the problem for me, or so I was told. It was also agreed that one of these wonderful engineers would ring me today to confirm that everything had been fixed. Guess what? NO, you don't need to guess because you know. The problem isn't fixed and nobody has rung me. I waited in all day for a call that never came. I think I'll use PN's favourite word again - Lies.

I really don't see how anyone can defend what is going on.The problem is getting worse all the time and the men in suits can't or won't get to grips with it.

What really disappoints me is the posts from potential new guys wanting to bring their e-mail system onto PN, and nobody has the courtesy to tell them that there are big problems. Suck them in guys. Get the money. Sod the service. Very sad.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

LindaB0
Grafter
Fixes: 1

totally agree with all the posts . Service is unacceptable...I have now been waiting 10 minutes for my emails to sync in Windows mail. My upload speeds are as I expect as too are my download speeds...so what IS the problem? Its 1108pm! hardly peak surfing.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@LindaB0

Ah yes but tea break starts at 11 pm until 11:20 pm so you'll have to wait until someone can man the server thingymajiggy. Patience my dear patience Funny

MatrixRob
Grafter

I don't post much on here but, as of the many who are having e-mail problems,

I'm now begining to think that PN are hiding something and fobbing us all off!

Check your settings, refer to the set-up instructions etc..(fob off!)

I hope I'm wrong but, as a precaution, I've moved email accounts elsewhere.

As a service that we all pay for, this is inexcusable in this day and age.

Some, more than others, RELY on email for important things in their lives.

This has been going on for too long now..

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.
Albert Einstein
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I honestly belive that now staff just post updates here to placate customers 😞.
I cannot belive that they Cannot !!! Fix this in the time they have had .
The last attempted fix last year made a minor improvement for 3 days before it returned to normal
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ClashingTitans
Dabbler

Today it's like straining words through a sock. Can it get any worse?