Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Problems with Webmail

Speedtests are only a rough indication and the results depend on a number of different factors and whether any other network activity is taking place during your test. I've just compared mine with Speetest.Net and then ThinkBroadband, the results are not too dissimilar.

So did you give your review for Plusnet while you were at it? I also did a broadband comparison between the top named providers and Plusnet were well ahead of most of them bar one for customer satisfaction. It's the reason I chose Plusnet based on those figures.

Screenshot (89).png 

mickledore
Dabbler

"So did you give your review for Plusnet while you were at it? I also did a broadband comparison between the top named providers and Plusnet were well ahead of most of them bar one for customer satisfaction. It's the reason I chose Plusnet based on those figures."

I am quite happy with the way the bulk of the service works. For me it has been largely trouble free and as fast as I need it to be.

The let down is the email system. The Web mail page is out of the Ark and should be scrapped immediately. It is so user unfriendly that I use Thunderbird instead. That too works well except that PN are messing about with my mail supplies and dont seem to care two hoots about it.

Are PN covered by Offcom? As they are taking money and not providing the service is a complaint justified?
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@mickledore

Looking at the Offcom website I would say yes they are regulated by Offcom but no chance of a complaint being heard about the webmail issue. Besides Plusnet have said they are working on a fix so despite everyone's anxiety and upset I suppose we have to be more patient or move on.

Here's what they do cover:

Our main legal duties are to ensure:

• the UK has a wide range of electronic communications services, including high-speed services such as broadband;
  • a wide range of high-quality television and radio programmes are provided, appealing to a range of tastes and interests;
  • television and radio services are provided by a range of different organisations;
  • people who watch television and listen to the radio are protected from harmful or offensive material;
  • people are protected from being treated unfairly in television and radio programmes, and from having their privacy invaded;
  • viewers of video on demand services are protected from harmful content;
  • a universal postal service is provided in the UK - this means a six days a week, universally priced delivery and collection service across the country; and
  • the radio spectrum (the airwaves used by everyone from taxi firms and boat owners, to mobile-phone companies and broadcasters) is used in the most effective way.

And what they don't cover:

We are not responsible for regulating:

• disputes between you and your telecoms provider;
  • premium-rate services, including mobile-phone text services and ringtones;
  • the content of television and radio adverts;
  • complaints about accuracy in BBC programmes;
  • the BBC TV licence fee;
  • post offices; or
  • newspapers and magazines.
ClashingTitans
Dabbler

@MKSlinky wrote:

And what they don't cover:

We are not responsible for regulating ...

• disputes between you and your telecoms provider;
  • premium-rate services, including mobile-phone text services and ringtones;
  • the content of television and radio adverts;
  • complaints about accuracy in BBC programmes;
  • the BBC TV licence fee;
  • post offices; or
  • newspapers and magazines.

True unfortunately.

I rang Ofcom before Christmas and complained about Plusnet Webmail. They were very understanding, but regretted they could not deal with e-mail problems. Their main reason was that many e-mail providers are not UK-based, (Google and Yahoo for starters I imagine), so would fall outside their jurisdiction. 

I also wonder if Plusnet, by stating that e-mail is not part of their service, but effectively a free extra, are also able to sidestep Ofcom. Don't know.

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@MKSlinky wrote:

Speedtests are only a rough indication and the results depend on a number of different factors and whether any other network activity is taking place during your test. I've just compared mine with Speetest.Net and then ThinkBroadband, the results are not too dissimilar.

I did that speed test three times - every time upload was slow. I only did the Speedtest test once but it gave exactly the same results as I've previously had. Clearly for me the tests must be acting differently.

@MKSlinky wrote:

So did you give your review for Plusnet while you were at it? I also did a broadband comparison between the top named providers and Plusnet were well ahead of most of them bar one for customer satisfaction. It's the reason I chose Plusnet based on those figures.

I did - and to be honest I gave them "Very Good" for all elements. OK so there was a problem with webmail but it's largely now fixed - and I much prefer PN's webmail to any of the other services I have (Gmail, outlook.com and Yahoo).

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@ClashingTitans

I think Offcom already answered that question for you, i.e. 'but regretted they could not deal with email problems'.

Also if you look at what they do and don't do in the information provided on their website above email does not get a mention. 

I'm not taking sides but I think Plusnet have done all they can. They've told us that the problem is being looked at and they have kept us informed with regular updates. Had they done neither of these things our complaints would be wholly justified. My only one criticism would be that Plusnet have failed to treat their customers with any level of intelligence, it's not good enough to keep repeating the same message with each new update, I'm sure we are all tired of reading this...., I know I am!

We’ve been working hard to improve the slowdowns some customers have been experiencing when using our webmail service.

Customers should now be seeing a significant improvement to the platform since this problem was raised following a number of changes made including increasing the mail storage and number of mail servers.

I reported earlier in this thread that I am now able to use Webmail and that's still true even today so it looks like things are moving in the right direction for some of us anyway. Hopefully normal service will resume shortly and maybe Plusnet will even give their customers a slight rebate on their next bill by way of an apology? If you're listening Plusnet? Roll_eyes

We your loyal customers deserve something don't you think????

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@drj

Well done you! The rest of the UK will thank you for your honesty Thumbs_Up If you registered ThinkBroadband will ask you to rate your ISP on a monthly basis, I find it's a worthy cause as it helps others when looking for a new service provider and it's useful to you and I should we ever decide to jump ship. As if !! 

As for those speed tests, I wouldn't worry too much about the difference between the two, your results were only negligible and you'd probably yield similar results if you tried any of the other test sites available.

Be lucky!

neilhobbs
Rising Star

@MKSlinky wrote:

I'm not taking sides but I think Plusnet have done all they can. They've told us that the problem is being looked at and they have kept us informed with regular updates. Had they done neither of these things our complaints would be wholly justified. My only one criticism would be that Plusnet have failed to treat their customers with any level of intelligence, it's not good enough to keep repeating the same message with each new update, I'm sure we are all tired of reading this...., I know I am! 

Plusnet haven't been explaining what the issues are or keeping their customers updated - they've been silent about both.  Saying there are issues isn't sufficient and occasionally updating the Status page with vague stuff is just rubbish.  Plusnet treat customers with contempt.  They have no idea about ITIL or Customer Service.

The issue with the Webmail is just one of the issues, they also have IMAP and POP issues and in the IMAP performance thread that I created at the beginning of January, Plusnet didn't provide any information.  The only update was to confirm that they still had issues.

Plusnet are just complete [-Censored-] and its a good job that I'm not on a paying account.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Insult removed as per Forum rules.

colintivy
Rising Star

All the above is, unfortunately, very true and frustrating. Some of us do back to when PN was a friendly, competent unit with staff and users interested in helping out when problems arose. Then it was OR problems with copper/aluminum Ohead cables and BT "engineers" only able to fix phone issues satisfactorily. It would appear that our present climate all started when the PN became part of BT..who seemed to have got rid of common sense as well as competent staff.!

It is unfortunate that simple  users, like me, having PN email addresses, are hanging on to them because the internet marketing industry rely on an email address as an indication of our existence! This makes an easy transfer to a new supplier.problematical. and tiresome. Let us hope for a good solid service in the not too long a wait for a realistic answer to all the reasonable moans above!

Roll_eyes ....Knuppel

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@neilhobbs

Thank you for your comments, I did see your post before it was edited and to answer your question simply.., no I am neither. Clearly you misunderstood my post. I accept that some people here are mad at PN and that's probably justified but there are two sides to every coin as you know. Not everyone is having this issue and as I've already mentioned above the issue is now fixed for me. 

In response to your other comment:

Plusnet haven't been explaining what the issues are or keeping their customers updated - they've been silent about both.

Sorry I don't buy that argument. PN have been showing regular Status Updates but as I already mentioned above, my only one criticism would be that PN have failed to treat their customers with any level of intelligence. 

I think the one thing we could agree on perhaps is that a better communication between PN and it's customers is needed.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Do you work for Plusnet?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

bazzer
Pro

The updates PN provide say next to nothing other than being aware of the problem. 

I don't recall seeing an explanation as to what is causing the problem or date / timeline as to when the problem will be resolved.

This is what angers people just as much as not receiving the service they expect.

neilhobbs
Rising Star

@bazzer wrote:

The updates PN provide say next to nothing other than being aware of the problem. 

This is what is angering people just as much as not receiving the service they expect.

I completely agree with these...  as this is the truth... Thumbs_Up

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@bazzer wrote:

While I appreciate it may not be as much detail as some may like. I have to disagree partly.

Service Status

...Customers should now be seeing a significant improvement to the platform since this problem was raised following a number of changes made including increasing the mail storage and number of mail servers....

@bazzer wrote:

I don't recall seeing an explanation as to what is causing the problem or date / timeline as to when the problem will be resolved.

I'm sorry to say we won't be going in to specific details of a cause of this publicly.

As much as we would like to provide a timeline as to when the problem will be resolved, unfortunately that's simply something we cannot currently provide. In the interest of not setting false expectations we don't want to tell you it will be fixed by X and then not be able to meet this expectation.

@bazzer wrote:

This is what is angering people just as much as not receiving the service they expect.

While I appreciate that, I can assure you we have been pushing to provide timely updates with as much information as we can share publicly.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
neilhobbs
Rising Star

Funny