cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

ClashingTitans
Dabbler

Re: Problems with Webmail

I'm in a county next door and I'm afraid Webmail is still struggling to open as I write. If this were to last for a week, then a month, and then a couple more, I might have more confidence in the system. Not a chance I can take at the moment.

neilhobbs
Rising Star

@Ronski wrote:

@neilhobbs no idea what you mean about in a hotel on a contract and no other option

I mean I took on a contract role, got on with my life and forgot about Plusnet's issue...  In regards to the 'No other option' comment - I want a service is both reliable and looked after, Microsoft provide both and Plusnet don't

Once I'm back in work...  I will be registering a domain name, switching to Office 365 Business and leaving Plusnet...

annthomasltd
Rising Star

Over last couple of days I've had a good chat with a good PN staff member, (it took a while to get there), and here it is:

"A new platform has has/is being introduced to PN mail", when asked to explain in layman terms = "new server platform has/is being introduced, and has to be tested (ongoing, keep giving feedback) to ensure a positive outcome which cannot be guaranteed at installation. What has made things worse is that an old/legacy platform that was thought to be capable of being added to, and remain part of the upgraded platform, has turned out to be not up to the job and in fact caused more issues. Further work on the platform is ongoing and promises on timeframe cannot be given, as when tests continue they cannot guarantee a 100% positive outcome and may have to undertake more work." 

They don't want or expect further work/issues with the platform, but cannot make guarantees until they have success. 

I obviously stated (I didn't ask, cos I knew I wouldn't get a proper answer) that it is unacceptable to have to wait over 9 months for any tangible info as just given, and that due to lack of professionalism and communication from PN on the subject, it's time for me to join in with the assumptions and theories. I stated that (without any grounds nor facts, cos we don't get any from PN) the strategy of PN has been to launch the mobile phone network at all costs to other areas of their business, If it means/meant failure elsewhere, so be it. PN had to launch the mobile network on specific deadlines from above (BT/sharp suits), so as to keep their jobs and/or to receive their monetary bonus. "If we lose customers elsewhere, so be it, so long as we gain new market share in a new sector". Bigwigs love the phrase - "the only worthwhile type of company is a company showing growth", and if they can twiddle their figures to show this, it hides the amount of custom they are in the process of losing elsewhere. It all comes out in the long run, and eventually even their statistics will start to show the facts. Then they just go get a job at another company (Npower?) and repeat the same old blarney.

So there you go PN, I've just done your job for you - communicated the issue(s) to your paying customers. Quite easy really? But I know I'm not as tech minded as some out there, so go ahead and ask relevant questions on the above to PN representatives who may be able to help/answer, or correct myself where my wording doesn't fit the bill.

neilhobbs
Rising Star

@annthomasltd that's correct... I am aware that this has been done...  however the issue I have is, I work in IT and design have overseen the deployment of infrastructures much, much bigger than what Plusnet have got...  however I have never had issues like persist for longer than two weeks...  I have had investigations and remediation actions completed by that time...

the issues that Plusnet have, have gone on for at least 12 weeks and they refuse to comment or provide any updates, they say they aren't allowed/can't and when they do, its pathetic...  then they revert to silence...

The only thing I can think is, as you say Plusnet are more interested in this new phone network and they will let every other part of the business fail...  all this could be resolved, by getting some staff to look at things, engage their supplier's Professional Services resources who put in the new platform...  but they aren't willing to do that...  So they remain silent...

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@annthomasltd wrote:

Over last couple of days I've had a good chat with a good PN staff member, (it took a while to get there), and here it is:

"A new platform has has/is being introduced to PN mail", when asked to explain in layman terms = "new server platform has/is being introduced, and has to be tested (ongoing, keep giving feedback) to ensure a positive outcome which cannot be guaranteed at installation. What has made things worse is that an old/legacy platform that was thought to be capable of being added to, and remain part of the upgraded platform, has turned out to be not up to the job and in fact caused more issues. Further work on the platform is ongoing and promises on timeframe cannot be given, as when tests continue they cannot guarantee a 100% positive outcome and may have to undertake more work." 

They don't want or expect further work/issues with the platform, but cannot make guarantees until they have success. 

So Plusnet have outsourced their email?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

neilhobbs
Rising Star

@VileReynard wrote:

@annthomasltd wrote:

Plusnet have put in a new/expanded their mail system with new servers and a new storage system and its not working correctly...

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

@neilhobbs                         the issues that Plusnet have, have gone on for at least 12 weeks and they refuse to comment or provide any updates, they say they aren't allowed/can't and when they do, its pathetic...  then they revert to silence...

Much much longer than 12 weeks - try nearer to 9 or 10 months including several months of denials that anything at all was problematic.

Amusing to see someone @annthomasltd daring to suggest what we all have felt that getting the mobile service going was more important - new customers invariably take precedence over existing ones because  whilst they may whinge a bit most will stay and continue to pay.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
neilhobbs
Rising Star

@quelquod wrote:

@neilhobbs                         the issues that Plusnet have, have gone on for at least 12 weeks and they refuse to comment or provide any updates, they say they aren't allowed/can't and when they do, its pathetic...  then they revert to silence...

Much much longer than 12 weeks - try nearer to 9 or 10 months including several months of denials that anything at all was problematic.

@quelquod thank you for the clarification on the time frame of these issues...  I only became aware of the issues back in November, when I was working in a client's offices and had to use Webmail to pick up my mail during the day.  Previous to that I have only used IMAP through Outlook and the Webmail site.  Saying that, I did notice that more than often when using the Webmail site, I was having repeated issues with the site - namely sending mail, as the Plusnet SMTP server wasn't working.

Now the both the IMAP and POP3 services is playing up and is down as much as the Webmail service...

If this has been going on for 9 to 10 months, then Plusnet are being utterly pathetic and it looks even worse and unforgivable...  they should have resolved things a lot sooner than ignore their customers for this long...  There really is no excuse for what they are doing...

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

VileReynard wrote:

To the in house BT Email services?

I should say, I have no experience of these.

But that's another (and very long) story. Wink 

samuria
Grafter

Same problems today cant load took me 30 mins to get and sort emails if you try and delete emails then it crashs and says go to login page email client takes forever to load on any device is a basic simple service I was in IT at Barclays Bank a few hours to set up a new mail server

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Update from PN yesterday https://community.plus.net/t5/Service-Status/Email-Webmail-connection-issues-96159-UPDATE/m-p/140894... ??????

We’re aware that a small number of our customers are continuing to experience issues Cheesy

Understatement again from PN

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've halved the number of emails in my Webmail Inbox from 1200 to 600.

Access time has gone from 20 seconds to 5 seconds so I find it workable now.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
grannypen

Excruciatingly slow Plusnet email

It's taking me minutes to even download a 'Create a New Message' page.  Its been going on for months.  What's going on???

mrob
Grafter

I consistently only have about 50-80 emails in my inbox and have been suffering the variety of problems others have for months.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

That's probably half the trouble for some people, to many emails clogging their folders. I try to stay on top of emails and keep them to a minimum wherever possible. Unsubscribing from unnecessary SPAM messages is a good place to start, at least you can reduce the number of less important messages. Of course it would have helped if webmail had been fixed sooner. I was trying to setup IMAP folders and not being able to access them in Webmail made life difficult.