Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Problems with Webmail

Thursday's incident was temporary and it's back now to tolerable working level. However the "Failed to send message" problem is still very much there. I've found that repeated hits on Send usually gets it to go in 5 or 6 attempts. However one earlier today took 12 hits and I gave up on one just now after 60 hits. I rewrote it, attaching the three attachments and filling in the two recipients and it went first time...

quelquod
Pro

It isn't 'tolerable', it's absolutely shocking. In fact it's the worst performing email service that I've ever used. Not only that, the absolute lack of interest by customer services and the apparent lack of ability of the technical team to do anything gives you very little confidence that PlusNet will be here in another year's time.

It's pretty obvious that BT are running it into the ground to try to drive people towards their premium 'BT' service. I think we'll soon see postings from CS to that effect saying something like 'This is BT's economy service. If you need a professional service (which costs only a little more go to https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-packages/ '

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
annthomasltd
Rising Star

quelquod says - "It isn't 'tolerable', it's absolutely shocking. In fact it's the worst performing email service that I've ever used. Not only that, the absolute lack of interest by customer services and the apparent lack of ability of the technical team to do anything"

And I thought it was fixed! Prob every body [-Censored-] off with PN's behaviour & had better things to do over the hols. 

So come on PN representatives - MattyC , Mav , 

quelquod
Pro

"Webmail is not part of the paid for package/service" is a phrase that crops up fairly frequently. So just to be absolutely clear about this:

I've been a customer (from Force9 to PN) since 1998. The account which I signed up to included email and web hosting. Nothing's changed. For me at least email is an integral part of my contract.

I can't comment on Webmail as I don't use it, but it isn't Webmail itself that's the problem, it's the email service whether you use Webmail, POP3 or IMAP to access it, and the email service has been crumbling for many many months  - you need only look back the forum archives to see just how long!

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Duplicate post caught by the spam filter removed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I honestly belive the problem is the Webmail servers are that Old and cannot be upgraded .

Thus PN would have to Spend some money investing in some new hardware , Hence why nowt will ever get done

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
AmigaMan
Rising Star

I can't access email at all yet again. It just throws me back to the Login Page every time, I Login, it throws me back to the Login Page etc etc.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@rongtw wrote:

I honestly belive the problem is the Webmail servers are that Old and cannot be upgraded .

That couldn't be further from the truth. The servers are certainly beefy enough, and we invested a significant amount of time/money pre-Christmas building and adding new boxes etc. to the platform. Whatever the crux of the issue is, I don't think it's strictly hardware related. Partly because the additional grunt being chucked at the the platform is disproportionate with the improvement that's seen.

Apologies for the lack of updates but we are continuing to work on this. Last I heard we'd been busy trying to debug things at the network layer. We've also had hardware vendors poking around and lending towards the investigation.

Things actually looked a lot better today, so @AmigaMan I'm not too sure why you can't even login Huh

It's worth me mentioning that there's some unrelated work scheduled for the close of the week (Thursday/Friday) that could have a detrimental impact on Webmail performance as it may reduce network capacity to the platform. Any impact should be mitigated prior to the weekend though.

Any substantial developments, I'll do my best to share.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

quelquod
Pro

from BobPullen:

Things actually looked a lot better today

Yes, indeed they did / do. It took Outlook only about 10 seconds to sync with IMAP tonight whereas last night at about the same time it was taking nearer to 2 minutes. Earlier this evening my iPad was taking about the same too which is exceptional. If only it was always like this! It's certainly how it used to be.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@bobpullen  Whilst i agree it did improve for a few weeks , it is now no better than it was when you tried to fix it Sad

Ok yes the page loads are improved and i dont get log in errors , but still extremely slow times opening any Email , and if you delete one it takes forever Sad

And i still get clicking on one Email and a different one opens Sad

And you must admit this has been going on too long now Embarrassed without any permanent fix !!

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
vanessen
Rising Star

Last night (Tue 17 Jan approx 22:00), tried to log in to Plusnet webmail and had to give up after 10 - 15 mins with repeated messages saying fault, login again.  Once or twice the sidebar or the list of messages appeared but clicking on anything then gave the login fault message again.  Completely unusable.  Reason for trying to email, was having forwarded a message the day before, it went over without the attachments (said there were attachments but with 0kB as size, and recipient had nothing to open).  So we were trying to forward the message again - but could not even get the message on the screen.  So here are two serious faults which are still present after about 9 months of problems.

This morning (Wed 18 Jan 09:45) it is still trying to load the first page of Inbox, that's 3 minutes so far.  Ah - it has just succeeded, so I mark 5 messages for deletion ... that alone takes about 30 seconds.  Usable, but only just.

I am ever optimistic that this abysmal service will be fixed, but at the moment the webmail saga is reducing my confidence in Plusnet as a whole.

- Christopher van Essen -

donniem

It sounds daft to say this but I count myself lucky to join Plusnet at about the time that these problems escalated. Fortunately, I hadn't notified my address book of the new email address and can manage with gmail. 

I have a degree of sympathy with PN as the broadband and TV package is significantly cheaper than Sky and BT but the awful email system must be destroying their reputation. In saying that, it has been working fine for the last couple of weeks but I have no faith that it won't fail again. I don't count email as a factor in my package and find the other benefits would more than compensate if it wasn't there. 

bazzer
Pro

I don't think I've ever read someone feeling lucky they joined a company that many have bitterly complained about. 

Dont forget that they are an ISP and not a TV company. They provide TV and mobile services, their latest venture, through 3rd parties. They're owned by BT so any undercutting of Sky will be funded by BT.

People who have been stressed to hell because of the issues caused by the failure to provide email including those running a business and caring for sick relatives won't be sharing any sympathy. 

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Just to rub salt in the wound PN informed me that "We're writing to let you know that your Plusnet email account is getting pretty big, and it's taking up quite a lot of space on our servers. Please can you spend a minute or two deleting or downloading some of your older and/or unwanted messages?"
Well PN if I could I would ! A minute or two ?? I have spent the last hour trying to delete my deleted messages and it keeps bouncing back at me saying the same old same old messages so its a bit rich from PN asking me to reduce my emails when I cant because of the poor service.  I cant spend all day on here trying to delete my e mails I am surprised my 1021mb is generating this e mail maybe over a gig it automatically sends the message. That doesn't seem a great capacity to me but then what do I know I used to think Webmail was a good service. If anyone at PN wants to delete my 1500 deleted e mails they are most welcome to. My deleted messages go back to May of last year I always thought they automatically got deleted after two or three months ?

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Just tried in block again SERVER ERROR after waiting about five minutes so tried again by page SERVER ERROR so I tried individual deletions after 90 seconds SERVER ERROR So thanks for your e mail Plusnet but I cant oblige because you wont let me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!