Rising Star

Re: Problems with Webmail

Works before 8am, then broken for rest of the day

--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
mof

For me, webmail broken yesterday and today; my settings have always been at 40 per page and that clearly hasn't helped; also I've split into many folders and it's failing on any folder with more than 40(ish) items.

I seem to be able to log in to webmail without problems now, just can't get the contents of any folder with more than 40 items to display.

Boz
Rising Star

@MrSilver wrote:
Agree it needs fixing, but for quite a few of us it has and is much quicker, that doesn't help the likes of yourself who it isn't working for though.

Is there any way of archiving emails, i.e. copying them to another location where they can be read outside Webmail?

Boz

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

All email clients AFAIK can do this.

Boz wrote: 

Is there any way of archiving emails, i.e. copying them to another location where they can be read outside Webmail?

Boz

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

@Boz wrote:

Boz

I am not aware of any plusnet webmail specific download options, but you dont need that.

Quickest was if you want on your local PC is to use IMAP client (any email browsser e.g. thunderbird, outlook etc).

The second way I had done with other mail accounts I dont want to log into is create a gmail account,  then go into settings and configure "Check mail from other accounts" where you can select an imap server of imap.plus.net and put your details in, then google will get your mail for you and store it on google, so when you log in all your mail is visible via their webmail. It can also be configured to sent mail by your existing email address - ive not tried that with plusnet but works for other ISPs as you put you username and password in and so authenticates sending.

Security note though: you are storing your plusnet credentials in google!

might sound complicated but it is really easy to setup 😉 

http://www.howtogeek.com/school/gmail-guide/lesson9/

Boz
Rising Star

The second way I had done with other mail accounts I dont want to log into is create a gmail account,  then go into settings and configure "Check mail from other accounts" where you can select an imap server of imap.plus.net and put your details in, then google will get your mail for you and store it on google, so when you log in all your mail is visible via their webmail. It can also be configured to sent mail by your existing email address - ive not tried that with plusnet but works for other ISPs as you put you username and password in and so authenticates sending.

I did what you suggested, and Gmail came back with this:  " We were unable to locate the other domain. Please contact your other provider."    Seems like Google is having the same problem with Plusnet as we are.

Boz

colintivy
Rising Star

Well now! email performance very slick today. Loading is faster that I have seen for months. Not a single hiccup 10am to 2 pm. Let this be a sign that something like normal is becoming usual! I will be watching with hope. The general output on service maintenance reported from above suggests that something might fall over for a bit I guess.

Cool_smiley

drj
Aspiring Pro

@MrSilver wrote:

The second way I had done with other mail accounts I dont want to log into is create a gmail account,  then go into settings and configure "Check mail from other accounts" where you can select an imap server of imap.plus.net and put your details in, then google will get your mail for you and store it on google, so when you log in all your mail is visible via their webmail. http://www.howtogeek.com/school/gmail-guide/lesson9/

Have you actually tried that - I can't find an imap route - it's saying:

Yahoo, Outlook, or other email service

Make sure your other account has POP access. Then, change your Gmail settings.

The linked article also appears to be using POP

MrSilver
Pro

drj wrote: 

Have you actually tried that - I can't find an imap route - it's saying:

Yahoo, Outlook, or other email service

Make sure your other account has POP access. Then, change your Gmail settings.

The linked article also appears to be using POP

Hi - yes, sorry my mistake, its used pop3 before, so use pop3.plus.net in the mail server URL it asks for and not imap.plus.net

Tick the box for leave mail on server and it will all stay on plusnet too to access if need it too. (Last checked: 0 minutes ago.9 mails fetched)

Just added my pop3 account to google to check it works this time, and all mail left on pnet webmail too. 😉

Thanks

MS

drj
Aspiring Pro

Thanks - I'd already tried the POP route and set it all up correctly. 

I then had to turn off the present auto-forward I have on my Gmail account since they were batting emails back and forwards between them!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is becoming tedious, as I tried logging into Webmail this morning but I am unable get access as the connecting (busy) icon on the browser tab simply rotates counter clockwise, when it eventually gives up there is no error message, nothing simply a blank ‘New Tab’.

This morning I changed my router to route the traffic from my Mac out on my second interface, however, when I disable this I instantly land on the login page when I click my toolbar’s shortcut for Webmail!

What I have also noticed is that when I do a search using the first interface Google provides a location for me at the bottom of the page however, when I swap to using the second interface I get this:

Location or lack of it!

I normally get a location when using this interface so why it says 'unknown' I don't know, but I also noticed that my second interface was re-started about 40 minutes ago, which may explain this; I don't know. However, it is now getting to the stage that this also affects my access to this forum so does anyone have any thoughts on this anomaly?

drj
Aspiring Pro

@drj wrote:

Thanks - I'd already tried the POP route and set it all up correctly. 

I then had to turn off the present auto-forward I have on my Gmail account since they were batting emails back and forwards between them!

HOWEVER... I've found a significant problem. When I now look at PlusNet Webmail the posts are all "read" - except very recent ones. But those soon become "read" too. I presume it's when Gmail accesses PlusNet and copies them over.

This means I'd either have to just use Gmail for webmail - or cut the connection. Since I MUCH prefer using PlusNet Webmail than the really cumbersome Gmail I think I'm going to have to do the latter.

It helps that PlusNet Webmail seems to be working perfectly again.

bazzer
Pro

@drj I have the same issue with using Gmail that marks all mails within Webmail as Read. The other issue is that when deleting emails in Gmail they do not get deleted off the PN server.

If this was possible I could use Gmail as I do Webmail by reviewing the emails I have on the PN server, deleting those I do not want and then downloading the remainder to my PC.

MrSilver
Pro

@Anonymous wrote:

This is becoming tedious, as I tried logging into Webmail this morning but I am unable get access as the connecting (busy) icon on the browser tab simply rotates counter clockwise, when it eventually gives up there is no error message, nothing simply a blank ‘New Tab’.

This morning I changed my router to route the traffic from my Mac out on my second interface, however, when I disable this I instantly land on the login page when I click my toolbar’s shortcut for Webmail!

What is your second interface? Does it go down a different dsl line or something?

One good test is go to www.whatismyipaddress.com on both links and see if they give the same result.

If you have 2 interfaces you may have somehow got asymetric routing where traffic goes out of one and trying to get back in via another, depending on what setup you have this could easily break as firewalls don't like it etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two 80/20 fibre lines coming in to my house both provided by Plusnet, each of which has a static IP address and is using a DrayTek Vigor 130 Modem which is then connected to a DrayTek 2925 Load Balancing router.

At the weekend in order to maximise gaming for my sons I tend to route my own traffic out the second interface and disabled the load balancing. Using the routers’ management interface I can see the unique (static) IPs and the gateways I am connected to and I’m thinking that this issue is related to the gateway the interface (line) is connected to, so I’m going to do some testing tomorrow.