cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Problems with Webmail

For me there is no change as I am still getting the blank screen I posted in message # 139.

Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Worked fine for me at 7.00am but now is just as bad as yesterday. Suspect that it falls over as more people try to use it. PN have probably taken on more customers than their physical and support infrastructure can cope with. Not good.

whalleyman
Hooked

My mobile successfully accessed my email log at 8am but everything else has since  failed(laptop,ipad etc). Just contacted customer service and still no knowledge of the cause of problem so fix time is indefinite. Very poor service given difficult to change email address on my paypal,ebay,bank accounts etc as they send a confirmation to existing email . I have been with plusnet for many years and this problem is shocking and will reluctantly force me to consider changing as I am now locked into a vortex whereby it is difficult to change my contact details on accounts

whalleyman
Hooked

Just downloaded Thunderbird and this has worked for me. During the set up it gives a warning message that  imap server is insecure which is a worry but  it does work so it gets me by.Not a terrific solution as PlusNet need to raise their game

Fibreflop
Dabbler

It's somewhat comforting to know so many other PN customers are having the same issues with Webmail - I have also been a customer for many years and although I had months of problems when I upgraded to Fibre Broadband once this was resolved I was happy again, only to now have email issues. I had a very off hand response from an online chat 3 weeks ago and was told this was only affecting a few customers (which clearly isn't the case) I have been trying to access my email for 2 days now and as you say whalleyman all my important contacts (Bank, solicitor, doctors and so on) have this email address so it's a huge issue as you say they email passwords. On the topic of "it's free so you get what you pay for" mentioned on other posts, as far as I am concerned it was sold as part of the whole package and therefore it should have as much priority as anything else. It's like saying you bought a car that had air con included but when it stops working we can't be bothered to fix it because it came with the vehicle??? Sorry but PN really need to sort this out quickly. I had considered the new mobile offering but after this I think I will go else where ... sorry PN

steam_age
Hooked

On the one hand, I'm pleased to see that Plus.net have (at long last) started to do something about their chronic web-mail problems (as described here: http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=maintenance&ispservice_id=email). On the other hand, so far, it hasn't made any difference to performance and reliability of this essential part of their service. It looks as though these outages are part of a programme of work. If so, it would be really helpful to know how many similar outages are planned and when the work is expected to finish. However, given their approach to customer service so far, I very much doubt this information will be forthcoming.

I'm going to give Plus.net another month to sort this out. If things are still unacceptable come January, I'm going to take my business elsewhere. 

steam_age
Hooked

On a slightly different topic, I can suggest an alternative to the problem of mail addresses tied to your ISP. You can register your own domain name and, for a small annual fee, have all mail forwarded to a mailbox of your choice. When you change ISP, all you have to do is change the forwarding instruction. I own "steamage.co.uk", registered with Nominet, and I pay UKservers.com £10 every 2 years for their forwarding service. Of course, you still have to tell all your contacts your new address when you first set up your own domain, but thereafter you can change ISP whenever you like without having to change your e-mail (or web-site)  address.

southerner
Aspiring Pro

Is it just webmail that's being worked on or are the servers underneath it being worked on too? I just wonder whether it might be worth using my Plusnet email again? I walked when the servers underneath it kept failing (no or slow response) under the load during peak times.

pwilliams62
Dabbler

I am now incommunicado on the internet because I have been unable to access my emails for a few days. This situation must be very frustrating and costly for anyone running a business. It is pathetic. Why do they not hire someone with the knowledge to fix it?

Plusnet says it may be better if I set up an email client but I do not understand the principle of it or how to do it. I wasted time looking at their link to Windows 10 mail but got nowhere. Some community members say an email client does not work anyway.

I have read that I could access my Plusnet webmail using gmail or Windows mail but I am lost. Many thousands of users out there must be driven crazy over this. Plusnet should at least supply some simple instructions for people like me who are left stranded. To give you an idea of my standard of ability, I cannot even see how to post on the forum so I have just used "Reply" from the last post.

pwilliams62
Dabbler

Many skilled intelligent people I know just want to use email like a tool in the same way as sending a mobile phone message. They do not know any of the basic technical stuff such as setting up email clients. Some forum members might find it hard to believe that there are webmail users who would not even have the ability to find this forum, sign on to it or understand many of the posts. They just rely on Plusnet to provide them with a system that works. How will we survive a cyber war? I have just ticked "Email me when someone replies". How, if email does not work? 

FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

I've redirected all PN webmail to my gmail service. I think PN webmail administrators need to put a block on the automated email notifications that get sent everytime someone posts a new comment on the forum threads (especially if it regards a generic service issue). I didn't know this was happening until I successfully logged on early this morning. Obviously , there were literally 100 emails in my inbox all relating to comments/complaints on webmail threads. If this is happening unknowingly for all other forum members (who may not know how to switch off email notification generation for each thread comment) , then obviously the servers will keep crashing . Don't the PN webmail experts realise this?

FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

I've just done the opposite and gone into my 'My Settings'  and ticked 'Do not email me'  . If we all did this then we will stop literally 1000's of 'thread comment'  email notifications being sent at the same time (which is overloading PN's fragile server capacity thresholds).  This seems like a perfect catch 22 situation. We don't have access to our inbox, so can't see the massive number of notifications relating to comments on this thread about lack of webmail service. So we do not realise that we have to switch the notifications off and keep complaining about lack of service. This is an insane self-perpetuating error because no-one at PN has thought this 'scenario /unhappy path' in their internal processes. And by me just posting this comment, means that hundreds of emails have just been generated to help crash the server again. Nuts!

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

This morning Webmail was working ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, BUT ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, its now extremely SNAIL mail

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
annthomasltd
Rising Star

Pathetic, unprofessional, disorganised, condescending, and scammers are all very suitable when talking about PN and this subject. And don't be fooled by ALL representatives of PN. That means staff AND moderators. Whether you like it or not (Anoush,Mav,Bob Pullen,JonoH,etc), you are performing tasks for PN, you therefore REPRESENT PN, you are all in the same shoddy ship lost at sea. What PN (don't) say and do is a direct reflection on your reputations. As I have challenged one of these via pm, c’mon & do something for the community, get some answers. Help the community by providing links to ONE of these posts instead of letting various customers go round and round on different threads repeating the same frustrations. You’ve done it once, and that was to get rid of the longest running thread on this subject without consulting those who had input. And yet you still allow newcomers with the same issues to go it alone across various threads. Show some community spirit and do something to empower the community & yourself. (Now await Cartman response quoting rules & regs whilst waving Harry Potter wand of censorship and quoting spell of being “only a customer”).

For a while now, ANY response/communication from  ANY PN representatives (yes that includes you mods as well) has been read in my head with the voice of Cartman (youtube southpark clips if you dont know you "Uncle Bulgaria's"), and I suggest all you out there do the same just to see through the fog of avoidance and lack of commitment. C'mon mods, honestly come back to confirm you're doing this for nothing....not a discount nor a free subscription....no benefits/promises of any kind??? The vast, vast majority doesn’t do anything for nothing these days.

Anyway, having worked in similar environments, as a lot of us will have, we have to realise PN are working solely to percentages and tolerances. If we are in the % of customers they are prepared to lose going forward, then they will just keep showing no interest or care towards this % of customers they are prepared to lose. So long as they met their true schedule of launching the mobile phone service, then they are happy to gain market share there whilst losing a % of already unhappy customers. And the sharp suited senior managers will just have been paid a huge bonus, out of our monies paid, for achieving a deadline set for the launch of mobile phones.

So I/we challenge the Customer Services Manager, who so far remains anonymous, to come on here and do their job by talking to unhappy customers, showing some empathy, and giving some proper answers to ALL questions asked here instead of sneaking out a statement on some obscure part of the website where nobody goes. C'mon PN, you will know exactly how many customers are signed up to receive service announcements on email?  Not a lot. A professional company would email ALL its business partners/customers (which we are supposed to be, by contract) to inform of any disruption to a service provided in a business environment. I also state AGAIN - we came to you for a business package, all under one roof, and TRUSTED you to provide the FULL service as advertised, as paid for.

Let’s presume that we could get a straight answer from a PN representative – let’s presume they would actually answer a question – do you believe PN is a professional business? – let’s presume they would say yes (although we know they would start “we believe that as per clause .....”) -  then a professional technical communications company would investigate & assess any problems to identify causes & rectification. Then plan/schedule any maintainence & repairs to rectify – let’s presume they would say yes (some chance!) – then here it is PN   -  WHAT’S THE PROBLEM & WHEN WILL IT BE FIXED?  WE’VE BEEN WAITING (and paying our bill as per contract) SINCE MAY !!!!!

WHERE’S THE SCHEDULE? WHERE’S THE PLAN?  WHERE’S THE CUSTOMER SERVICES MANAGER?

WHERE’S THE MORALS? WHERE ARE YOUR MANNERS?

Taking money for services advertised, then not providing said services is a scam. FACT.

So look, they just don’t care. Good advice has been given on here by customers – ring,write, call, email, and leave honest reviews wherever you can across the web and your social time.

“96% OF UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS WON’T COMPLAIN TO YOU, BUT WILL TELL 15 FRIENDS”  is a common rule in customer services. I’m going to increase the value of 15, and already have. Working around the country in retail, I have already used the gossip chain in all the dept stores & other outlets I visit across the country to spread the word of PN’s abysmal service and false advertising. Also informed ALL business & private contacts the reason(s) why we HAD to change email address last week. To my delight my brother, who is an I.T. projects mngr travelling the north of England & Scotland, in the field of communications no less, is gleefully spreading the word. A colleagues' brother who owns the franchise to supply workwear to a multi-national is also spreading the word on his visits around this country.  The more of this, the more their atrocious behavior will become known. And as said before, like Npower we will then just have to wait a while for the snowball to gather momentum, and then fines & apologies whilst we all snigger at PN/BT management. And hopefully PN regular staff can stand at the window sniggering at the sharp suits handing over company car keys in the car park.

Lot’s of good posts/responses/info shared here on this subject from many customers for many customers. Keep at it.

craigmundy

Yes, I am really struggling now. My husband is disabled and I use email to keep in touch with a number of health care professionals on his behalf/ for his continuing care.  I've not been able to access webmail for over 3 days now.  Help....as if I haven't got enough to contend with....