cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

ClashingTitans
Dabbler

Re: Problems with Webmail

I feel I've done all I possibly can to complain about Webmail in a reasonable way, including a lengthy letter to Plusnet a couple of weeks ago.

Today, I finally lost patience and rang Ofcom. Don't get too excited about regulators though. Their powers are surprisingly limited. I already knew that Ofcom couldn't act on my individual complaint, but I nevertheless wanted to add it to their ever-growing log of complaints, so that more official pressure can be put on Plusnet. Ofcom publish a quarterly update of complaints. Their latest, from April to June, shows that most complaints about companies are going down. However, BT and Plusnet were the top 2 most complained about companies for Landlines and Broadband. See: www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/latest-telecoms-and-pay-tv-complaints. Their next quarter figures, which must be due soon, will make interesting reading for Plusnet customers I think.

Anyhow, back to Ofcom and Webmail. The very nice person I spoke to, (after just 3 rings!!!), explained that, unfortunately, e-mail services don't come under Ofcom's regulation. This is because many are based elsewhere in the world, such as Google and Yahoo. So, even though PN Webmail is, presumably, based in the UK, it doesn't count. However, problems with broadband and billing are noted, so I'd suggest that, if you are getting these, you call Ofcom on 0300 123 3333 to get Plusnet further up the complaints list until someone listens. Alternatively, put in an appearance on Plusnet's Facebook and Twitter pages, where potential future customers will see your frustration and know to keep clear of Plusnet.

I'm sorry Plusnet. I've genuinely loved your service and Customer Service for years, and even recommended you to other people. Now you've outgrown yourself, but your heart hasn't grown with it.

ClashingTitans
Dabbler

I'm lucky to even get a page, let alone a blank one!

76nil
Grafter

Thanks for tip about PN Facebook page.  I've vented my annoyance there as everyone at PN is already too busy to answer phone (30mins wait) or do chat  (54th in queue).  Must be getting a lot of complaints.  This company isn't as good as it used to be but they are still going on about their great customer service in the adverts. 

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Hi Uncle Bulgaria here I am still confused (just an age thing) but why is PlusNet not making any service announcements about this surely this must be the biggest problem PN has had and yet it seems there is a stoney silence from this company that has been said before prides itself in customer service or so their ads say They obviously don't give a ------  (I edited the comment to save the Moderator who must be very busy) about their customers as I haven't been able to access e mails for two days it would be interesting to hear from someone who can get into their e mails or isn't having a problem. E mails are very important to the people they concern I think the trouble is PN don't regard e mails as very important but there are many on here who would disagree.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fantasticfourum - It may be as simple as they are to busy fire fighting the mail service to respond, and if you don't actually know what's wrong providing an update would be difficult. It as been mentioned that they are working on the system, and more would follow, but knowing what to say may well be the difficult bit.

stablehome

I am in the same situation as most here I suspect.  Have not been able to access any new messages for 2 days now.  I can login and see that I have 32 unread messages in my Inbox but cannot actually see or access them.

The fact there hasn't been any status update from Plusnet since 09:26 this morning is pretty disgusting to say the least.

Once this situation is eventually fixed I will definitely be moving my email away from plusnet and very soon afterwards will be leaving. I did sign up for a new 2 year fibre contract back in September but enough is enough, I am trying to run a business and this is a pathetic situation.

After 15 years of being a relatively satisfied customer (especially the early years) this spells the end of the relationship!!

Bauhaus100
Dabbler

A further suggestion - anyone have any contacts in the press either in South Yorkshire or at national level? If it's a slow news day tomorrow or Friday the outage could get some publicity in one of the national dailies. IT issues of this type usually do.

Something along the lines of:

PlusNet, a major telecomms supplier based in Sheffied didn't take account of the first law of business, "Listen to your customers". The company had received many complaints about the reliability of their webmail service over a period of several months but failed to do anything about them A system failure over the weekend has lead to thousands of customers' email accounts being inaccessible while the company struggles to provide adequate feedback on when the issue will be fixed.

Callers to the Plusnet IT Helpdesk often have to wait around 45 minutes before the phone is answered, only to be told that a solution is not yet available. Statements released by the company over the past few days have been evasive and lacking in any technical advice on how the problem can be solved.

A spokesman for the company stated that PlusNet are doing all that they can to resolve the issue. However, several customers pointed out that similar statements had been made many times by the company on its support website over the past few months yet the service has continued to worsen.

Customers from companies such as Waitrose and John Lewis who use Plusnet to provide "branded" email services are also affected.

Sorry, I'm not a journalist but I do feel that if we can get this into the press, at least it will ratchet up the pressure on PlusNet directors to put some more effort behind sorting this out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stablehome - Well to be honest you should not be reliant on a 'free' email service from your ISP if you're running a business, you should ideally be using your own company mail server, hosted by yourself or a third party.

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Why does everyone keep calling this a free service its not free I pay plusnet for my domain and e mail quite a lot as it happens and I don't actually get my broadband from PN So its not free and anyway surely it is part of a package a package you at least expect to be able to read your damn e mails

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well you will see that my use of the word free is in fact within single quotes. For me it's free as I get it as part of my broadband deal (I run my own mail servers) and as I am aware I pay nothing for this service; unless told otherwise. But I see from your post that for you it is not free, so you, and others like you, have every right to be Ticked_off at the service currently provided.

colintivy
Rising Star

We have been away attending the 70th birthday celebrations of a relative (5hrs drive away!) I took  view that the two day absence of email service just might be adequate for the switching-on and transfer of cables. I now know that I was far too optimistic. Could we be in for a two week pause perhaps?

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I spent several hours last night setting up my daughters new laptop. Outlook would just not set up an IMAP account. No email would appear in the folders. Out of desperation I configured her account as pop3 and lo and behold that wouldn't work. Eventually went to status page to see that there was a problem with all email. It is working on POP3 today but trying to view any sent items using webmail has been impossible all day. I have been with PN since F9 and this is the worst its been. If I don't get a deal beyond belief at renewal in Feb I'm off.

stevemccl
Dabbler

This is not a 'free' email service, it's prvoided as part of the package we pay for. It may be ideal for a business to have their own mail server, however there are many small business out there for which this isn't really that feasible. Thousands of small businesses are one-person operations working from home. The simple fact is that these people are paying for their mail to be hosted and serviced by Plusnet, yet are receiving a sub-standard service. You make it sound almost as if the customer's own fault.

bazzer
Pro

As a Which? member I will be contacting them.

If fellow members do the same Which? must consider the basis of their recommendations.

ClashingTitans
Dabbler

Also contacting 'Which' this evening. Plusnet no longer justify the top spot they, (deservedly), used to hold in the 'Which' ratings.