Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with MAAF email on iPhone

FIXED
mrmaff
Hooked

Problems with MAAF email on iPhone

Hi there

I’ve been trying to help my father with his Madasafish email account on his iPhone.

It has been working fine for months, but last week he stopped receiving email. So, I suggested that he remove the account from his iPhone and set it up again. But that didn’t work.

I have had a look today and every time I set up the account there is a problem verifying the out going server. The username and password are being reported as incorrect. But they are not.

I’ve tried adding my old MAAF account to my iPad and am getting the same issues.

Settings are:

Incoming: mail.madasafish.com

Outgoing: mail.madasafish.com

What are the recommended settings for Madasafish?

Thank you

Matt

11 REPLIES 11
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Problems with MAAF email on iPhone

Over 4G or over Wi-Fi connected to a Plusnet network? Just sending?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mrmaff
Hooked

I tried using WiFi (connected to Plusnet network) and 4G at my Father’s and just WiFi (connected to Plusnet network) at home.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sorry!!!

Just reread your previous post - the outgoing server is smtp. Not mail. See https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/How-to-change-your-outgoing-server-on-a-mail-client/m-p/1606155#...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

PS: the previous not receiving mail was more than likely due to the mail box being full.

mrmaff
Hooked

Thanks Townman.

I’ve tried setting up my account on my iPad, using smtp for the outgoing mail server, several times and each time I get the Incorrect username or password message.

I logged into Webmail using the same username and password, successfully.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Just on the out going?

Is the iPad trying encryption? Smtp needs to be port 587 with Use SSL.

Have you confirmed you are able to send via webmail?

mrmaff
Hooked

Yes, smtp on outgoing only.

iPad suggested trying to verify without SSL, but it failed. I’ve tried with SSL on, port 587, and it still fails.

Email sent successfully from Webmail.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

This is getting into the twilight zone, so it is important to have a very precise assessment of what is happening here please...

• What version of iOS is in use here?
  • Please confirm that this is being configured as IMAP for inbound?
  • Please confirm that inbound verifies OK?
  • Please confirm that the iPad is connecting to a WiFi network connected to the Plusnet Network
  • Will the iPad let you save the account settings even though there is an error?
  • If yes, what happens if you try to send an email regardless?

iOS has a bad reputation for screwing up email settings.  Explicitly unloading the email program and settings programs can sort that out.  Alternatively you might find that deleting the email account on the iPad and starting again might be required.  I have a vague recollection of needing to reset all of the network settings to fix one problem or another with email.

See also...

Unable to send email from Iphone - Plusnet Community

And looking back at other histories ... is there a VPN involved here?

mrmaff
Hooked

Thanks for your help. To answer your questions:

• iOS 14.4
  • yes IMAP
  • Inbound doesn’t verify, I get the message ‘cannot connect using SSL. Try without? Yes or No’, then after selecting Yes try without, I get ‘Cannot get mail. Username or password for mail.madasafish.com’ incorrect’.
  •  Connected to Plusnet via WiFi on Plusnet router
  • yes, account is saving ok and I can edit afterwards
  • Attempted to send email from MAAF account, but got ‘Username or password incorrect for smtp.madasafish.com’
  • no VPN is being used

i have deleted the account and recreated several times now, but get same problem each time. There seems to a primary server and two secondary servers (one with password set and one without). I’ve tried switching primary off and the secondary with password on, but no joy. Now, I can’t turned the secondary servers off. It seems to keep the smtp server as secondary server ever time I delete the account.

When you say unload the email program, do you mean uninstall Mail?

iPad has been restarted and I have turned iPad WiFi off and on again as well as renewing the lease. 

Just restarted the router to force new IP address to be used. Still no luck.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Fix
Ah - inbound not being recognised either.

Are you using the full email address as the server user name?

mrmaff
Hooked

Bingo! That was it!  Thank you so much.