cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with IMAP access to emails?

hudd
Hooked

Re: Problems with IMAP access to emails?

Many thanks for getting back to me. I understand what you are saying, but would the lack of an SSI connection be affecting plusnet's webmail site too ?

Thanks too Dave. I think your idea of posting a sticky on the subject is a good idea. It would help plusnet tech support and save time for other users

d8smt
Rising Star

No, it shouldn't affect the webmail at all.

rgds

Dave

hudd
Hooked

Hi Gandalf

Sort of sorted the problem for now. I went into settings on my ipad pro, then to mail, then to set up another account. It gave an option to go for POP3 server as opposed to IMAP. I chose POP3 and was then directed to set up my account manually just like the old fashioned way when setting up my mail account on my windows 7 machine. So I entered the details as per setting up the old way, hit save and it said verifying. Then said I couldn't use an SSL connection try without an SSL connection. I hit yes. Back to verifying ( yawn ) and again, said I could not use an SSL connection, etc. Hit yes again. Verifying ( double yawn ), then hey presto !! account added. Went into "Mail" to check if I could receive emails, hit the all inboxes and there were several emails !!!! Also tried sending and that worked too. I'm not a computer wizz kid, but I hope this helps someone ?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@d8smt can you try setting up your emails on a mail client using the following mail servers?

imap.plus.net:143

relay.plus.net:25 or relay.plus.net:587

@hudd glad to hear you've managed to find a way to fix this for now.

We'll update you when we know more about fixing IMAP for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@hudd we've just sent a test e-mail to you. Can you check if you've received this in webmail?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hudd
Hooked

Hi Gandalf

Wow !!! Yes I got it. That's the only one though. I've received emails from others since though but they haven't come through on webmail yet. I'll check later this evening. Did you alter something at the plusnet end to get it to work ?

hudd

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Glad to hear you've received it

As far as I'm aware we've done nothing.

Our emails team came back to me advising they sent a test e-mail and it arrived in your mailbox as expected.

Let us know if you're not getting mail from anyone else and I'll go back to them with this information.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hudd
Hooked

Hi Gandalf

Sorry to report no other email messages are getting through. I’ve had several incoming messages on my widows machines but none have got through to webmail. Any help would be much appreciated.

hudd

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've added a response to your ticket here with the next steps.

Let us know once you've replied.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hudd
Hooked

Hi Gandalf

Tried responding with a text message as requested but delivery failed twice. I’m away tomorrow for a few days so I may not be able to keep in touch ? I’ll pick up when I get back about changing my password.

hudd

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi hudd.

No worries.

Enjoy your time away and get back to us when you can.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@hudd,

Catching up on posts here...

If you are catching emails using POP3 there is more than a fair chance you'll never see emails in Webmail - by design POP3 REMOVES emails from the server … which is completely unhelpful is you want to access the mail box from several clients.

If POP3 works from your Apple device, then IMAP should work equally as well.

On iPhones / iPads I have seen them completely screw up the IMAP email settings - editing them has not effect.  You need to completely delete the accounts and reinstate them.  That should follow exactly how you described POP3 trying in turn with and without SSL for each of the inbound and outbound servers.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.