Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems setting up email in the Outlook app on an iPhone

Introspective

Problems setting up email in the Outlook app on an iPhone

Hi,

After a bit of advice please.

I already have my Plusnet email on my iPhone using the standard iPhone email client.

I want to move to using Outlook as I prefer it's interface.

I have set my IMAP account up exactly the same as I've set it up many times before with no issues......however, I'm struggling with the Outlook app.

All settings entered fine.  My IMAP folders start to appear and I do get some emails downloading, however, that seems to be very sporadic.  I keep being asked to enter my IMAP password, which I do, then nothing.  I know the password is correct because if I purposely enter an incorrect one it tells me!

I've contacted Outlooks customer support via the app and so far, the best they can offer via automated reply is reset the account, which I did, and then delete the IMAP account and recreate it.  Both of which I have done and I still get the same issue.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Tim

6 REPLIES 6
scotland731
Dabbler

Re: Problems setting up email in the Outlook app on an iPhone

I'm also experiencing the same issue, this is on iphone and on a Samsung tablet.

ozworx

I'm also experiencing the same issue.  Its been 5 weeks now and Oulook support have been unable to assist other than telling me to reset the account, but that never works.  I was told that it was a known issue and that it would be resolved with the next version of the app.  The new version was released yesterday which I now have, but the problem continues.  I have also pointed out to them that the "edit log-in information" function does not work on the app.

scotland731
Dabbler

I have 2 iPhones, one personal and a work, work runs iOS 14.2, personal runs iOS 14.3 beta.

On my personal iPhone, I've now configured my email account in the default mail app in order to prove where the issue lies.

No surprise, no issue I can send and receive my emails, imap port 993 works fine for incoming, 587 for outgoing.

Configure the exact same setting in the outlook app - no joy.

Removed then reinstalled the outlook app, the issue persists.

On my work iPhone, in the default app I can get emails working, but not using port 993, receive an error stating no response!!

Change to port 143 and voila it now works.

It's so inconsistent, it appears to be a combination of issues, but at least in the default mail app you receive errors to warn you of issues.

ozworx

Anyone managed to resolve this issue yet?  Outlook App Support tell me I have to wait for the next app update....again!  They promised to fix it 3 updates ago...

scotland731
Dabbler

No, I do try periodically this includes reinstalling and setting up from scratch.
Would love to go back to Outlook app but have no choice until they fix whatever isn’t working.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

There is every possibility that OUTLOOK is guessing at server settings, for example, if your mail address is you@account.plus.com OL configures...

• IMAP as imap.account.plus.com instead of imap.plus.net
  • SMTP as smtp.account.plus.com instead of relay.plus.net
  • UserID as you@account.plus.com instead of just account (or account+you)
  • If using encryption
    • IMAP is port 993 with SSL/TLS
    • SMTP is port 587 with STARTTLS
  • It might be necessary to set the root folder to inbox

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.