cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems setting up Email on Galaxy S6

DJCUK55

Problems setting up Email on Galaxy S6

I have set my Email account up on various Windows 10 laptops and tablets but I can't seem to be able to make it work on my phone. Using the built in app on my phone I get the following error message. 'The username or password is incorrect or POP3/IMAP access isn't turned on for this account'. I have tried setting it up manually several times using the settings supplied by Plusnet, I have cleared the Email cache and the data but still get the same results. I have downloaded another Email app and tried it with that one but all I get is 'Sign in failed. Please check your configuration again'. I previously had a BT Email account and it worked fine with that one. The last thing I want to do is factory reset the phone so I was wandering if anybody had any other ideas.

5 REPLIES 5
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: Problems setting up Email on Galaxy S6

@DJCUK55,

The information you'll need to input should basically be the same as the other applications you've used, and I'm assuming below that the issues you're having is related to your included Plusnet account email address, if not please clarify the provider. 

When you've got to the section to add a new account in your mail app enter the email address "mailboxname@username.plus.com" and then the mailbox account password. 

You should then be able to choose 'manual setup' or an option similar, and an option for IMAP or POP3. I'd choose IMAP. 

Username will be your Plusnet account username (not your full email address). Password will be account password.

Incoming mail server: IMAP.plus.net (incoming port 143). SSL/TLS should always be set to 'NO'

Outgoing mail server: relay.plus.net (outgoing port 587). SSL/TLS should always be set to 'NO'

Authentication required: 'YES'

Username: account username

Password: account password.

This archived Android guide might help a little although it's quite outdated now. If not and you're still unsure and having issues it might be worth confirming the OS that the phone is on so we can advise the steps better tailored to your needs.

Let me know if you have any further issues. 

DJCUK55

Hi JOLO

I have tried all of this again on both Email Apps but it still doesn't work.

The current Android version installed on my phone is 7.0.

It looks to me that something in the software of the phone is stopping the programs from working.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@DJCUK55 Have you checked the Security Type is set correctly for the incoming and outgoing server . PlsuNet don't support SSL/TLS so it usually needs setting to 'None'

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DJCUK55

These are set to none but it still doesn't work. I tried setting it up on Somebody else's phone using the Gmail App (as he didn't have the Samsung App on his phone) and it worked OK so I did the same with mine. I can't understand why the Email App doesn't work but as I can now get my Emails through the Gmail App I am happy. Thanks for all your help.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

If it helps, I use K-9 email ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9&hl=en_GB ) on my Android phone & tablet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.