Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems sending emails

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Problems sending emails

I’m sure your son can refine this problem better. There is a country mile difference between I can send but they don’t arrive and they STR not accepted for sending.

Can you successfully log on to webmail and send an email from there? If you can then there is nothing wrong with your account, but everything wrong with how you have configured to the SMTP server on your mail programs. You’ve did nothing about what you have done or how you’ve configured things. Any IT ‘expert’ would understand the importance of being clear about such matters.

Passing thought, is this a simple email you are attempting to send or one with a massive attachment such as a photo?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Veronicawood
Dabbler

I will ask my son for more help later.  He lives in America so he has helped me remotely so far.  He has just gone on a camping holiday so I am out of touch with him at the moment.  I can log in to the website and can read my emails there but if I send one from there people say it doesn't give a proper return address so they can't reply.

Veronicawood
Dabbler

No-one has explained why Windows Mail has the same problem.  It worked for years and then suddenly developed the same problem that Thunderbird had.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Have you recently got a new computer/laptop?

Also, have you tried sending an email from webmail to your gmail account, and from your Plusnet email account to your gmail account, to discover what 'return address' your recipients are getting, leading them to be 'unable to reply'?

John
Veronicawood
Dabbler

I have had this computer for several years.  I tried those two emails.  The one from Thunderbird arrived this time, it does occasionally.  The one from the plusnet website arrived with the wrong email address for reply.

jab1
Legend

Interesting, but confusing.

You say the message sent via TB arrived correctly - does it have the correct 'return' address?

Without giving your correct email address away, how was the return address on the webmail message 'wrong'?

Have you checked that the SMTP (outgoing) server is configured correctly - see post #9?

John
Veronicawood
Dabbler

Yes the one sent from Thunderbird has the correct return address.  The one from webmail has my name where it should have my husband's name.  Not sure how to check the configuration of the server.  I checked it was the right port.  Emails to my gmail seem to arrive, so do emails to my son in America but if I email anyone else they just don't arrive.

jab1
Legend

So your email address in TB is correct.

Do you and your husband have separate webmail addresses set up, or is there only one with your  name? If so, you need to create your husbands in  webmail, and ensure that you select the correct one when sending.

To check you have the correct settings in the SMTP tab in TB, go to Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing Server(SMTP), at the bottom of the left hand column, and click that - you should then get the image I posted in message #9.

John
Veronicawood
Dabbler

Yes, I did check those server settings and they are correct.

My husband doesn't need an email account, he doesn't have a computer.  His name was put in the email address by Plusnet because he pays the bill.  The email address has both our names, his because he pays the bill and mine because I use the email.  Sending emails to the address given by emails sent from the Plusnet website doesn't work, it is the wrong email address.  Plusnet told me what the address was to be it is not my doing.  You still have not explained why Windows Mail has the same problem now, when it used to work perfectly.

jab1
Legend

I'll have to go away and have a think about the main part of your last post, it doesn't make for easy understanding on first reading -sorry.

I personally can't comment on the Windows Mail problem, I haven't used or seen that client since about 1995, and I know it has gone through numerous changes/identities in that time. Hopefully, @Townman, who has more experience in this area, will pick up on this and try and solve it for you.

I'll be back later today or sometime tomorrow when I have digested your explanation above..

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Wrong reply address on webmail arises from you not setting up the identity correctly when you first used webmail. That is easily fixed - in webmail go to settings, identity and correct the email address - it should be of the form youraddress@youraccount.plus.com

As for sending emails with webmail or Thunderbird (neither are the best of email clients) if the mailbox is not the default one, then the username should be youraccount+your address

Server is relay.plus.net port 587 encryption STARTTLS.

We need greater clarity on what the actual issue is here. We’ve had ...

Cannot send
Send but takes ages to arrive
Can send but wrong reply address

Can you please simplify the diagnostic process by sending the test emails to yourself.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Veronicawood
Dabbler

I have described the problem over and over again.  If you read the whole thread you would see.  After questions I have clarified the problem.  The settings are right.  It seems to me that the people on this forum are siding with Plusnet who deny it is their problem.  I give up, we are going round in circles.  I will just use gmail.

jab1
Legend

@Veronicawood You have described what you see as the problem, but have failed to really engage with any of the replies and suggested remedies. If your son is an IT expert, get him to arrange remote access when he returns, and he should be able to solve the problem easily.

Myself, @Gel and @Townman are not siding with Plusnet who are correctly saying it isn't their problem - if it was, you wouldn't be the only one.

Have a nice evening.

John
Veronicawood
Dabbler

I have engaged with all the replies.  I have tried everything suggested.  It was fine while I was using Mailbird, then they said it would no longer be free so I tried to pay but there was a problem with their website so I couldn't.  I started using Windows mail, which had been working but I hadn't used it much.  Then the problem started so I downloaded Thunderbird which had the same problem.  As the problem began on Windows Mail and Thunderbird at the same time how can it be a problem with the settings on Thunderbird?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The problem here is it is not clear what the problem is. You have not described it in any precise terms, no error messages or codes nothing beyond when using webmail addressees who have RECEIVED TGE EMAIL are not able to reply because the reply to address is wrong. That has been explained as being down to your email address identity being wrong in webmail. Have you reviewed and corrected the identity settings in webmail?

Have you read and followed all of the details in the link provided by Gel? What errors does Thunderbird report?

How are you specifying your user name?

For the avoidance of any doubt is this Plusnet email or one of the other Plusnet legacy brands?