cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems sending email on Galaxy S3

Tandleman
Dabbler

Problems sending email on Galaxy S3

For the last few days, my Galaxy S3 linked to my plusnet account will no longer send messages to myself, though I can send to my other accounts such as gmail.  I use it mainly to send photos from my phone to my pc to use in other apps - saves downloading.  Guess I could just use gmail, but it kind of defeats the point.
Tried everything.  Deleted account and reset it up again.  Still the same.  Test messages without attachments also just vanish into the ether.  Was working fine until Thursday last week.
Any ideas?
14 REPLIES 14
Tandleman
Dabbler

Re: Problems sending email on Galaxy S3

PS.  For clarity that should have said emails from my plusnet account.  Tried it with the main pc logged out.  Get incoming OK.
Razer
Grafter

This is nothing to do with your immediate email problem, I just wonder:
Of course, you can do things the way you want to, but - you say you send pictures on your phone, via email to yourself so that you can access them on your PC, and that it saves downloading. It doesn't. Accessing your email attachments, you still download them. In fact you're also uploading on your phone's data allowance. Why don't you simply plug your phone into the PC to get the pictures and cut out the middle men? It's less complicated.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

If you're not nearby, it takes a long cable or very powerful wifi, though Shocked Roll_eyes
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Razer
Grafter

If the member is sending to their PC to use on their PC, surely they are nearby? Unless they are using their PC remotely. Guess we'll find out!
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Must admit I generally don't connect the phone to the PC, but use the SD card if I need to move photos Wink
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Razer
Grafter

I have a bias in my head as I often do transfer files, and both ways - I also tend to charge my S3 that way - and use it for tethering when my PN connection goes down (it's been VERY handy for that a number of times).
Tandleman
Dabbler

I use it that way for convenience.  If I'm out and take a photo, later or the next day, when I'm writing my blog for example, it is on the same machine, a click away.  Nothing to plug in and as I have unlimited data, why not?  I only recently did that as previously had a data limit.  Trust me, it is quicker.   Click on link, save as - use.
Now.  About that there problem.  Any ideas?   Roll_eyes
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Which smtp server are you using to send the mail ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Tandleman
Dabbler

smtp.mbb-three.co.uk Port 25.  Tried the others.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Tandleman
I use it that way for convenience.  If I'm out and take a photo, later or the next day, when I'm writing my blog for example, it is on the same machine, a click away.  Nothing to plug in and as I have unlimited data, why not?  I only recently did that as previously had a data limit.  Trust me, it is quicker.   Click on link, save as - use.
Now.  About that there problem.  Any ideas?   Roll_eyes

OK. As I said, you can use your devices as you prefer. I just wondered Smiley ... and I do have my own bias because of the way I use mine. Anyway, my apologies by the way, I didn't intend to hijack your thread. I hope you can get some help fixing the issue.
Tandleman
Dabbler

Solved it myself.  Seems that Three has changed their way of doing things without telling anyone.  smtp.mbb-three.co.uk Port 25  no longer works for outgoing - it does for incoming. You need to change to relay.plus.net port 485 and require passworded sign in.  Discovered it purely by trial and error.
Fine, changing it, but why didn't the silly beggars just tell us all that.    Angry
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

You need to change to relay.plus.net port 485 and require passworded sign in.

I believe it's actually port 587 and the setup guide here http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/android-setup.shtml shows how to setup. You are correct that in the past the only option was to use the three smtp server since PlusNet only supported port 25 access to relay.plus.net and three blocked access on port 25. PN have supported port 587 for a while now and so using authenticated access via relay.plus.net is probably the best method since it will work with all networks.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Tandleman
For the last few days, my Galaxy S3 linked to my plusnet account will no longer send messages to myself, though I can send to my other accounts such as gmail.  I use it mainly to send photos from my phone to my pc to use in other apps - saves downloading.  Guess I could just use gmail, but it kind of defeats the point.

A personal recommendation if I may? Assuming your phone and computer are connected to the same network then give Airdroid a go. It'll allow you to transfer content from your phone to the PC across your wireless network i.e. without having to plug anything in. You can't do this when you're out and about so I suppose it might not satisfy your requirements, others might find it handy though.
Quote from: MisterW
I believe it's actually port 587...

Yes it is. Our relay servers don't respond to requests on port 485.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Tandleman
Dabbler

My error.  It is indeed port 587.  Came about since I was trying so many.  Still think Three could be a lot clearer on this subject.  Sad