cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems again with iPhone Plusnet email set up - Plusnet and Apple useless!!!

hackedoff

Problems again with iPhone Plusnet email set up - Plusnet and Apple useless!!!

Can anyone help?  I got my first iPhone two years ago and was unable to set up my plusnet email on it - plusnet and apple blamed each other for weeks.  I then found a blog that offered a quick solution - something extra that had to be typed in on one of the lines - and bingo, done!!!!  I now have a new iPhone and OF COURSE AM UNABLE TO SET UP MY PLUSNET EMAIL ON MY NEW IPHONE and I can't find the old website.  Surely thousands of Plusnet users must have had the same problem - can anyone help?  I rang Plusnet four times today - waiting time for a call to be answered was 30 minutes PLUS, Apple completely useless, don't answer the phone and 45 minutes on a chat and nothing done.  Thank you in advance!!!
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Problems again with iPhone Plusnet email set up - Plusnet and Apple useless!!!

There's an Iphone setup guide here http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/ios-setup.shtml

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hackedoff

Re: Problems again with iPhone Plusnet email set up - Plusnet and Apple useless!!!

Thank you I've tried this already about 10 times - I had the same problem with my then new iPhone two years ago - it just doesn't work.  I found a blog saying that many users had this problem - you need to add something to the plusnet addresses to make the XXXX thing work.  I've been on to Apple, unable to reach ruddy PlusNet and am fed up with having the same - known - problem two years later, when I've got a new iPhone.
If anyone knows the answer, or can send a link to the blog which offers a solution to the problem, I and probably thousands of others, would be very grateful.
I've spent hours on this, no joy and PlusNet and Apple will blame each other, neither knowing how to solve the problem.
Thank you and fingers crossed for the correct info!
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It may help if you could provide some more details (without giving out your email address) of what the problem is and what errors you've seen?
Are you trying to set email up for your main mailbox (username@username.plus.com) or for an additional mailbox (mailboxname@username.plus.com) for instance?  If so, the username you need to specify in the Incoming mail server screen is username+mailboxname rather than just username
Your email username and password
Setting up for the first time?
Email username: Your Account username
Email password: Your Account password
Your Account username and password are the ones you log in to this website with.
Setting up an additional Plusnet email address?
Email username: Your mailbox username (in the format username+mailboxname)
Email password: Your mailbox password
If you're not sure what these are, check the email we sent after the new address was created.[/quote
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: hackedoff
I've spent hours on this, no joy and PlusNet and Apple will blame each other, neither knowing how to solve the problem.

Hi,
A warm welcome to the forums.  Just a nod, but user / display names such as the one you are using at the moment do not engender the most positive responses.
Configuring YOUR device, whatever it is not PlusNet's responsibility, but they will, do, have offered excellent advice.  There are several help guides around here on this subject, one of which I helped to write.  You are correct, there are hundreds of thousands of users happily using iDevices with PlusNet email accounts.
Specifically with iDevices some users do encounter issues because the Apple email account setup wizard makes a number of ASSUMPTIONS about how the email service is configured, rather than asking the user for the information.  Specifically the set up wizard assumes SSL encryption is in use and also makes assumptions about the port numbers.
Normally you are likely to encounter two error messages on each email account set up, asking if the connection should be attempted without SSL.  If you can get past the wizard and it is still not working, then you can inspect / edit the settings.  HOWEVER the iDevices are notorious for screwing up email account configurations, they only way of fixing them being to delete them and start again.
None of this is a PlusNet issue - so if you want help from this community, please calmly report back exactly what you have tried and exactly what error message you are seeing, so that the community might assist you.
PS: Something which Apple support is not very forth coming about is that their software updates can alter (without telling users) the configuration of email accounts such that they no longer work.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I set up an iPad and an iPhone for PlusNet imap email yesterday.  There were no problems except the usual one that the iDevice assumes SSL and tries unsuccessfully to make a SSL connection for a minute or two.  So you may have to respond once or twice that an unsecured (non SSL) connection is okay.