Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems accessing public wifi with Android smartphone

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Problems accessing public wifi with Android smartphone

I have wasted a lot of time recently, both my own and of PlusNet Help assistants, trying to connect a new Sony Android-based phone to public wifi hotspots.
I've used two hotspots, in case one was unreliable and the Incoming and Outgoing settings recommended by PlusNet Help.
At both sites I've failed to be able to send emails and only spasmodically receive emails.
I will not bore you with the events and the results of changing the settings several times, however, the trials revealed that at one site here was a consistently very weak signal and at the other, very heavy activity.
I can only recommend that when setting up the wifi connections for accessing public hotspots, suspect the hotspot first, checking only at obviously quiet times.
Regards...Noel
PS  by the way and as usual, full-marks to the Plusnet Help staff!
6 REPLIES 6
fotobits
Rising Star

Re: Problems accessing public wifi with Android smartphone

Further testing has revealed that although I was correct in realising the poor quality connections I have experienced, I was wrong in assuming all was now well!
In fact, I can neither send or receive emails using public hotspots.
I propose to set up again from scratch the Incoming and Outgoing email settings in my Sony phone, but would appreciate any helpful comments or encouraging noises!
Am I the only one who has experienced such difficulty with smartphone email settings?
Regards....Noel
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Well if I'm right in thinking that plusnet don't use SSL i wouldn't be using public WiFi to send/receive Email.
In fact I wouldn't go near public WiFi without a VPN.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Personally I use gmail for my domain, all mail is "picked up" by gmail and I get it from them.
No problems at hot spots as it is secure TLS/SSL on the in/out.
fotobits
Rising Star

Thank you Daveyh.
Thought provoking!  I guess I'm an innocent trusting in my locally installed security procedures.
Regards...Noel
PS  I've just re-installed both Incoming and Outgoing email settings, observing a hint from Melissa Rocks of PlusNet Help Desk "....ensure to select the option to enter the username and password manually and not use the same as incoming settings as this can sometimes cause some problems...." and I was able to send and receive emails using my phone network....not using my router's connection.  I hope this indicates that I have corrected the email settings...fingers crossed!
fotobits
Rising Star

Interesting HairyMcB.  If my latest efforts fail, I'll look to see what gmail offers, I have an account.
Thanks for your comment.
Regards...Noel
fotobits
Rising Star

I confirm that I have both sent and received emails using my Android-based smartphone, connected to PlusNet at a hotspot.  Therefore, my Incoming and Outgoing Settings are working!
In case others experience the difficulties I had, I summarise my tips for setting up and testing similar connections at a hotspot.
1 Use the settings recommended by PlusNet : http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/android-setup.shtml
2 Enter manually all values.
3 Ensure you really have a connection to PlusNet when you test at a hotspot.
Regards....Noel