Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with SMTP/POP servers?

FIXED
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Problem with SMTP/POP servers?

Following an SMTP 'server timed out' problem earlier this morning - which appears to have nearly been rectified - I have noticed the POP servers are also very slow. MailWasher is taking a long while to establish connection for each of my accounts where it is usually instantaneous, and Thunderbird is similarly affected.

Anyone else noticing this?

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Email-not-working/m-p/1648883#M28266 includes my original observation.

John
32 REPLIES 32
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Problem with SMTP/POP servers?

I hadn't received an expected daily email (sent around 6:00) from my NAS this morning at about 8:30 so tried sending a few test emails to various accounts with various results, some failing to send but others eventually going, so I couldn't decide whether it was just outgoing or incoming as well which was at fault.

The ones which didn't fail to send didn't arrive immediately and it wasn't until I noticed a flurry of emails received over a period of a few minutes that I thought the fault/s had been resolved so didn't bother reporting.

However, on sending a test email a few minutes ago it seemed a bit sluggish at sending, but arrived promptly.

jab1
Legend

Thanks for confirming, @RobPN  - so there IS a problem, albeit maybe intermittent.

My receiving is still very sluggish, but as said in that linked post, sending seems to work - for the moment, and not as quickly as it should.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I do @jab1, when I select my Plusnet account on Thunderbird I get a busy 'wheel' that hangs around for varying degrees of time and as noted this is not the normal behaviour.

jab1
Legend

Thanks, @Anonymous . Hopefully, a clued up PN staffer will maybe start some investigation.

John
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Hi, 

We're looking at this.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Fix

We attempted some work on the mail platform last night (hands up here I forgot to add the Service Status). We're currently rolling back that upgrade as it's caused some unforeseen issues. Apologies for the issues experienced.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable

+10 to @JonoH for being honest here, if only it were always* this way.

* I don't mean you @JonoH but in general.

jab1
Legend

@JonoH Marked your reply as a 'fix'. All seems to be okay now.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jab1, @JonoH Are you sure this is fixed? If the delays I'm having are anything to go by then the answer is No.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Can you send over the headers on the delayed mail so we can have a look?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
jab1
Legend

@Anonymous wrote:

@jab1, @JonoH Are you sure this is fixed? If the delays I'm having are anything to go by then the answer is No.

Seems to be for me, @Anonymous , although MailWasher is a tiny bit slow to connect to the server. No delays between time sent/received and most importantly (for me) no lag on Thunderbird.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kelly, I assume that’s directed at me? If so see below.

@jab1, It does appear to be intermittent, some times the connection is instant while at others there is a noticeable lag with the Thunderbird status bar telling me its sending login details for example.

And just to clarify, I don't get / send much email on this account so I don't really know if it's being delayed. The point I'm making is down to the delays I am getting while connecting to the server.

jab1
Legend

The TB delays I was having yesterday have gone, like you, yesterday I was having those noticeable delays on TB - but not today. MailWasher, though, does still seem to be struggling for the initial connection.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just selected my Plusnet account in Thunderbird and it took 10 seconds to connect 5 of which were sending the login details. So how odd is that!