cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem sending (trying to send) email with small pic attached

DTEG
Rising Star

Re: Problem sending (trying to send) email with small pic attached

Hmm, not so good to hear. Exactly the same error and behaviour as I was getting last night, but definitely now working here on both Thunderbird and mobile email. Could be down to the specific gateway, if there's a fix being rolled out. I'm connected via core2-hu0-18-0-0.southbank.ukcore.bt.net for what it's worth.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

This is getting ridiculous..... I have removed the attachments,... hoping to send them later...but... the message still shows. even after it declares the message has reached 100% ...

sent a plain test message to me...  message appears to have been sent.. ( not yet received )..

Sent a test with a small pic   and got the same message about time out... AGAIN>... Angry

Edit Edit Edit........ plain test message received after about 12 minutes...   ( about 4 times longer than usual wait )..

DTEG
Rising Star

If this is a Plusnet issue (as seems most likely, given last night's experiments) it will be interesting to hear what has happened and why, since it would point to a deeper inspection/management of data than they usually admit to. I'm not fully familiar with the implications of STARTTLS security, but I would have assumed that they would have no ability to snoop inside connections with my third-party server, unless they were (as they have strenuously denied in the past) intercepting connections in the first place.

shutter
Community Veteran

deleted, due to the reply system hanging, and duplicate reply postings.  is plusnet going down the pan  ?

shutter
Community Veteran

Just been on Live Chat.... and got no real help... however, the guy did let the following info sneak out....

**************************************************************************************************************************************

It is being tracked I believe by our Incident Management Team and it's being worked on by the Networks Team

When asked " Since when"..... apparently , the answer   "Since last Thursday"...   and yet, NOTHING has been posted on this board, or this thread, to admit that there is a PlusNet problem... and it is being worked on.

When pressed, the "assistant"  suggested I use an alternative SMTP email client.. or put the attachments on an external site, such as drop box..

.**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Webmail is "Hanging" as well,...so that is not an option either..  

(are those red boxes in the street still operating? ? ? ?  )

colourqueen
Dabbler

for chasing this shutter - it's driving me nuts the fact that I cannot send emails with attachments. Everything has been fine for me up till last Sunday evening and it has been downhill from then onwards. I have been unable to sent anything with an attachment via Plusnet (maybe it should be [-Censored-]!) so had to revert to the webmail of a different ISP to send things. Not good

JimLep
Hooked

For what it's worth, I have just sent out three multiple mailings with (the same) attachment, and there were no problems (I'm thankful to say). Everything seems to have been fine for me since last night, when I rebooted my computer and sent an attachment while there were very few other programs running. Today I have the usual number (i.e. quite a lot) of programs running in the background.

DTEG
Rising Star

Coincidence this apparent interference happens, without official comment, at the same time as Teresa "Snoopers' Charter" May is coronated? Eh, eh...? >:-)
colourqueen
Dabbler

Sadly mine is still failing despite a reboot

Task 'xxxxxx@xxxxxx.com - Sending' reported error (0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

shutter
Community Veteran

@colourqueen  your post was 3 hours ago, prior to this post... I have been "out and about" to 3 garden centres, and travelled about 65 miles, during that time, my computer was switched off.... booted up on return to home, and tried to send a short test email with a small 68kb attachment ...

Progress bar shot up to 99% then hung there,........ again... 2 minutes later... ..... you guessed it... the following message appears..

********************************************************************************************************************************************

Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) relay.plus.net timed out. Try again.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

I know it is Saturday... but surely "someone" should be doing some commenting on this thread from PlusNet... 

Not exactly "Award winning customer service"...   ... is it  ? ? ? 

shutter
Community Veteran

DELETED     again.... Due to lagging on this system when clicking on POST... the action does nothing, then posts two copies.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

well its  NEW and Improved Wink

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
street7cat
Dabbler

I have also been unable to send photo attachments since yesterday.  My message is 'Unknown error Ox8007007A'.  On trying to get advice from 'Chat' I was informed that I was No. 26 in the queue, so gave up!  I have managed to send a message with no attachments to myself, although speed was sluggish.  I also found the e-mail advice page on Plus-Net is now non-existent.

shutter
Community Veteran

After re-booting the computer yesterday, after posting... ... I still got the same message...  I also re-installed, again, thunderbird, and still got the same message.

Going on the premise, that I had done all I could, at my end, and with the system still rejecting said message with attachments, I surmised that it MUST be something to do with the gateway that I was connected to... 

So I re-booted my router.... got the same gateway..  pcl - bng 01  ( SNR 91dB.  Speed 6851kbps)   so waited for about 15 mins, then rebooted and got a different gateway...  this time it was   PTW - BNG 01   (SNR  8.9dB and speed 6891kbps )  ( note the speed is about what I expect on my line ).. 

So I tried to send again, the short test message with a 61kb pic attached...  YAY !.. it worked... ! ! ... proving to me... that it MUST have been a PLUSNET GATEWAY PROBLEM... ...

and yet nothing has been said about it on the status reports..... not even a mention of what the "assistant" told me on the Live Chat... just a couple of old notices about webmail having problems... 

Having had success with the short test message, I then sent my original message with 8 attachments to my friend in America... he reported back that he had finally received it. 

So... Thank you, PlusNet for that Award Winning Customer Service you keep bleating on about... ...

Please... next time... try a little bit harder... and perhaps you will be able to "Do me proud"..

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just to throw some flak into the diagnosis

I am on pcl-bng01 and I have no problems

However I am on a fixed IP address so it may be something to do with the IP related problems as discussed at length on here