cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem opening Plusnet webmails on my mobile phone

br1anstorm
Rising Star

Problem opening Plusnet webmails on my mobile phone

Using my laptop - at home or when travelling - I have had no problems visiting the Plusnet webmail site, loggin in and viewing (and sending) emails via the webmail site.
I have recently acquired a new mobile smartphone (a Motorola G, which runs the Android OS).  I am still working out how to use all its features!  But I have come across what seems to be a problem - and I have no idea how to troubleshoot it, so would appreciate any advice.
I can access the Plusnet webmail site or indeed any internet site using my phone, with the Chrome browser and an internet connection.  I can log in, and see the list of emails in my Inbox on the webmail site.  But I cannot open any of them to see the text!
I am assuming the issue is not a Plusnet matter, but something to do with the phone, or maybe the Chrome browser.  But I just wonder if any Plusnet gurus can explain what might be preventing me from opening the emails.
EDIT - MORE INFO: 
This gets more puzzling.  I have experimented with accessing one or two other webmail accounts via my mobile phone.  I have had no difficulty in logging in and opening my accounts with various other providers (eg Fastmail and Yahoo) using their website portals, and have been able to open and read individual messages on my smartphone screen.  But the problem with Plusnet webmail persists, and it seems to affect only Plusnet webmail. 
I can log in to the Plusnet site, and into the webmail page, and I can get the list of messages in my Inbox up on screen.  But when I click/tap on any individual message, it will not open.  Instead (and this seems to be unique to the Plusnet webmail page) when I tap on a specific message in the list in my Inbox, it either highlights that entry in the magenta colour..... or it enlarges a small square of the page (almost like zooming in).  But whatever I try (tap, click, swipe...) no message will actually open.  So I am now beginning to think that it may indeed be something specific to the Plusnet webmail site rather than something to do with my phone or the Chrome browser.
14 REPLIES 14
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Problem opening Plusnet webmails on my mobile phone

I have a Moto G, running Android 4.4 and use Chrome.
I've just tried the PN webmail site and both the Advanced Webmail (Roundcube) and the Basic Webmail (Squirrelmail) work fine for me...
br1anstorm
Rising Star

Thanks pwatson.  Your message crossed with the extra info added to my original post which describes in more detail exactly what I am finding.  
My Moto G is a 2nd gen one, and recently updated to Android Lollipop 5.0.2.  I have always used the default webmail option which appears on the Plusnet webmail login page.  I don't know if it's Roundcube or Squirrelmail - i didn't even know there were alternative options! 
Having had a quick further look, it seems that I may be using the Roundcube option, as there is a button on the login page which says "basic option".  I have never tried that....
br1anstorm
Rising Star

This is turning into a self-diagnosis exercise.
I have now experimented with both the basic webmail option (Squirrelmail) and the advanced option (RoundCube) on my mobile phone, using the Android Chrome browser.
I have also checked my other webmail accounts via my phone.  I can access my Fastmail, GMX and Yahoo webmail acounts without difficulty.
In Plusnet's webmail "basic option" (Squirrelmail) , I can login to webmail, see my list of webmail messages, and open each one without difficulty.  One tap on the screen enlarges (zooms in) on the message-subject, and a second tap opens the message itself.  Which is good.
In the Plusnet advanced option (which incidentally works fine on my laptop) I can log in via my mobile phone and see the list of messages in my Inbox.  One tap on the screen enlarges the message-subject, but a second tap fails to open it:  instead, it simply highlights in magenta the entire message-listing line (sender, title, date and size).
This appears to suggest that there is indeed something specific to the Plusnet Roundcube advanced webmail configuration which doesn't play nicely with Android Chrome.  Perhaps this is an issue for the Plusnet techie people to check out?  I'd be interested to know what the problem is, whether it can be replicated, and what solution, if any, can be suggested.  Meanwhile it looks as if I'm limited to the basic Squirrelmail option if i want to see my Plusnet webmail messages on my mobile phone.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

@br1anstrom if you did a search you could find a thread of mine asking when Plusnet would have a website configured to suit mobile phones I think the same principle applies here. webmail is configured to suit desktops  and laptops and at a strech tablets. Smart phones for the software PN utilise is a step too far IMHO.
I use my android email client and it works brilliantly  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I've never tried webmail on my Nexus tablet before - always used the email client or gmail. However on my tablet (Android 5.0.2) it behaves as described by the OP. It's messy having to do this but clicking the top-menu gearwheel and selecting open in new window does display the message.
David
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Same on my Phone (both Chrome and Android Browser), enabling the preview pane is another (less than ideal) work-around.
Like @PL I use the Android email client so wouldn't normally ever have to access webmail on my phone.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
pwatson
Rising Star

Having reported above that webmail works for me with Android 4.4.4, my 1st gen Moto G has just been updated to Android 5.0.2.
Accessing webmail via chrome still works for me.  As with the OP, the first touch of the message subject opens the magnify window and then a touch of the subject within this window opens the complete message for viewing.
br1anstorm
Rising Star

Thanks to the various members of the forum who have contributed, I think we have at least figured out most of the mystery, although our experiences seem to vary.
In basic (Squirrelmail) mode, I can login, see the Inbox list and with two taps (one to magnify, one to open), read my messages.
In advanced (Roundcube) mode, I can login and see the list.  But then one touch magnifies, and a second touch highlights.  Like spraxyt, I have now discovered that clicking the gearwheel and choosing 'open in new window' does the job - the message opens in a new window.  Messy, and tedious (three clicks just to open a single message!).
Selecting the preview pane as suggested by w23 is indeed another workaround.  But on the small screen of a mobile phone, it's a pain [sic!] since the text is scarcely legible and the screen gets crowded.
So there are explanations and solutions, and it has been an interesting discussion.  I'm now just intrigued as to how pwatson - with a similar setup to me - has a slightly different experience and manages to open his messages directly.  In both basic/Squirrel and advanced/Roundcube?
I shall continue to experiment.  Maybe in the end I will decide to use the Android email app, or see whether Gmail can manage multiple accounts in a user-friendly way.  Meanwhile I hope this thread may be useful to others who, like me, are still fairly new to using smartphone for webmail.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

You need to consider that there are massive issues across many platforms and applications with touch based interfaces.  Many of the touch screen browsers are quite defective when working with applications which need highlight / hover functionality distinct from click functionality.  It is not unlike historical single and double clicks with mice.
I have found Chrome to be particularly bad - applications which work fine on other browsers simply do not work well at all with Chrome on Android platforms.  Given that X works well on a multiplicity of platforms / environments and not well on Androids I would turn to the Android provider for a solution to the problems they are causing.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

A mobile/responsive skin for Roundcube is on the development roadmap.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

kmilburn
Grafter

Does that mean there is an intention to catch up on the version of Roundcube used,  after all it's now only 4 major releases behind!  Wink
Unfortunately,  the mobile/responsive skin isn't due till the next major release, which on previous form, will be next year!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: kmilburn
Does that mean there is an intention to catch up on the version of Roundcube used...

Yes, I think so. The challenge is ensuring it doesn't break any of the plugins in use. We also have a desire to get sieve/filtering working.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

br1anstorm
Rising Star

As a novice user of smartphones, and without much expertise in IT, I stumbled into this particular problem.  I am at least relieved to learn that the difficulty I originally posted about was not incompetence or error on my part!    I'm just slightly surprised that others hadn't come across it sooner (or maybe they had....)
It's evidently a challenge to get websites to interact sensibly with the multitude of clicks, taps, and swipes that are now part of smartphone and tablet use.  I'm impressed that Plusnet have not only identified that there are issues with RoundCube, but that they intend to work out a solution.  Must be hard work keeping up with the advances of technology....
Thanks anyhow to all who posted and helped me to understand what was going on.  Now I'm off to discover what else my smartphone can, or cannot, do.....
pwatson
Rising Star

Just to add to the confusion, I tried Plusnet Webmail on my Nexus 7 tablet (Android Lollipop) and Chrome - No problem opening mails on the advanced interface at all...  I didn't try the Squirrelmail version.
Must be my fingers I guess  Tongue