cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem forwarding Metronet email...

Aliya1234

Problem forwarding Metronet email...

Hi,

I no longer use my Metronet email but occasionally get important emails being sent there...

I'd like to set all emails sent to my Metronet address to automatically forward to my Gmail but can't find any forwarding settings with which to do this...

If that isn't possible, is there a way to send an automated response to every email coming in to my Metronet account that will notify people of my new email address?

I'd really appreciate any help as have spent hours trying to sort this out.

Many thanks for your help in advance and hope you can help!

Aliya

3 REPLIES 3
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Problem forwarding Metronet email...

Hi @Aliya1234, thanks for your post and welcome to our Community!

We're sorry to hear of your email issues.

Can you confirm how it is that you access said email account? For example, are you using webmail or an installed client?

Aliya1234

Hi there, thank you for the message.

We have tried many ways. Via outlook, yahoo, fire fox or just by setting it up on the iphone mail app. 

I've finally managed to get it work but the emails are not all coming through and if they are they disappear. 

We are really struggling and it's a working email so quite important. 

Hope this helps,

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Aliya, sorry to hear you're having trouble retrieving emails from your metronet account. Unlike our more recent accounts, due to the account being a legacy metronet I'm afraid we have no pre-defined ways of adding rules to forwards emails onto other addresses. This best way we'd advise doing this would be setting up a IMAP email client to pull a copy of the email and then setting up a rule within the client to forwards any emails from your plusnet address onto any further designed inboxes. Setting a email client up as POP3 could also work however wouldn't leave a backup email on the webmail side which seems a good option given the importance of these emails you've described.

A guide we have on our Community Forums in how to set up a email via acliuent can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/How-to-get-your-e-mails-through-a-e-mail-client/td-p/1598809

And more specific details you'll need during the set-up are:

Incoming server POP3: mail.metronet.co.uk    (sends the server side email from webmail to your client)
or
Incoming server IMAP: imap.metronet.co.uk   (copies the email from webmail into your client)

Outgoing server: smtp.metronet.co.uk              ( requires port 25 or 587)
Username: full email address
Email address format: [mailbox]@metronet.co.uk

As it sounds like you've managed to set up a email client I'd advise checking over any rules you have set up in forwarding your emails onto your other address to make sure they are forwarding everything coming through from your metronet email address. To best see emails that have come through this way, it may be worth while creating a rule on your main email account for any emails forwarded through this way to go to their own unique folder.
The description of the emails disapearing hint that you may have it set up as a IMAP but another device may be pulling them from the server as a POP3 client is stil lset-up somewhere. I'd advise then making sure that no other devices are taking the emails before your current set up client can pull a copy through?