cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem adding Plusnet Email Account to Outlook 2013

ciesse

Problem adding Plusnet Email Account to Outlook 2013

Hi, I've just joined the forum, so be kind to me!

I've been with Plusnet broadband for a few years but just decided to make use of their email account. I created a new mailbox and received a confirmation that it has been created, with all the info to add it to Outlook. I've tried over and over to create a new account on Outlook, but it refuses to accept the details for outgoing mail. The incoming mail tests ok, but I get this error when testing the outgoing mail:

"Send test e-mail message: Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your account properties.  The server responded: 550 <name@username.plus.com> sender rejected - invalid domain (no MX or A record)"

I also sent my new mailbox some test messages from a different email address, and none are appearing in the webmail mailbox, but they're not bouncing back as undelivered either. 

I tried calling Plusnet support, but all I got was a copy of the instructions that I'd already followed and that didn't work, and someone who admitted she didn't know much about email, which wasn't much help!

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Problem adding Plusnet Email Account to Outlook 2013

Hi @ciesse

"Send test e-mail message: Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your account properties.  The server responded: 550 <name@username.plus.com> sender rejected - invalid domain (no MX or A record)"

lets check the basic outgoing settings first

outgoing server - relay.plus.net

if you're connected to your PlusNet broadband the you can uncheck the 'My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication'

that should allow sending of the test message, does it ?

also sent my new mailbox some test messages from a different email address, and none are appearing in the webmail mailbox, but they're not bouncing back as undelivered either. 

Are you logging into the correct mailbox on webmail, the username for webmail should be <accountname>+<mailboxname>

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ciesse

Thanks @MisterW for your response.

Yes, I've got the outgoing server settings just as you've said, and I'm still getting the same error message.

Re Webmail - I can login using my Plusnet user name & password, but it won't let me login with the username+mailbox name.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re Webmail - I can login using my Plusnet user name & password, but it won't let me login with the username+mailbox name.

Logging in with your main username & password will access the default mailbox (usually username@username.plus.com). Sounds like the mailbox han't been created or you're not using the correct mailbox password (it's different to the main password.

Does the additional mailbox show in 'Manage my mail' https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=configure2&do=showMailboxes&my=EfEcq6QIwQO5agEvRAcpcw%3D%3D ?  

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ciesse

The mailbox shows in Manage My Mail as a Mailbox (default), and it has postmaster@username.plus.com as an Alias linked into it. When I created the mailbox, it didn't ask me to add a password, I just login using my Plusnet username & pw.

I have one email in the inbox - it's from Plusnet support and it was actually sent to the postmaster@ address, which is the Alias, so it's being included in the mailbox for my new email. But I sent 4 test messages, from 2 other email addresses, to my new Mailbox and none of them are appearing in the inbox.

The new Mailbox was created yesterday morning, so should be 'live' by now.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @ciesse

Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with the newly created email address.

I would like to confirm that the username for the incoming and outgoing mail server is just your username for your account (username+mailbox name is only for additional mailboxes.)

Just in case, I have reset any background settings for the mailbox. The best way to test if the account can send and receive is by logging into webmail then sending an email to yourself. If this is successful, use the following settings to set up the mailbox in Outlook.

Username: Account username
Password: Account password

POP3 Incoming mail server: mail.plus.net
POP3 Incoming mail server port: 110

Or

IMAP server(if IMAP is used): imap.plus.net
IMAP server port: 143

SMTP Outgoing mail server: relay.plus.net
SMTP Outgoing mail server port: 25

SMTP Outgoing mail server port: 587 (Only use if you are not sending emails from a Plusnet broadband connection)
My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication: Use same settings as my incoming mail server

SSL: Off for both incoming and outgoing

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
ciesse

Hi @Jubby, thanks for your response.

I tried sending myself a message in Webmail, as you suggested, but it wouldn't send it - the error message was similar to the one I got on Outlook. I tried to copy the error message to paste here, but it wouldn't stick around long enough for me to catch!

SMTP Error 550...if that helps, then 'failed to set sender xxxx@xxxx.plus.com........rejected sender, invalid domain....etc'

Jubby
All Star

Hi again @ciesse

Sorry to hear you are still experiencing the issue.

As you are receiving errors in webmail, I have raised a task to the relevant department.

You can monitor the progress of the task here.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
Jubby
All Star

Hi @ciesse

The department I escalated the issue to have confirm the task is complete and the issue should now be resolved.

They have advised it was a permissions issue on the mailbox and sub folders. Please try to send an email to yourself through webmail and if this is successful, re-test Outlook.

Thank you.

Lewis G
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

“SMTP Outgoing mail server port: 587 (Only use if you are not sending emails from a Plusnet broadband connection)

Port 587 can be used on any connection, including a Plusnet connection.

To be pedantic port 25 should only be used by MTA to MTA relaying, not for email submission. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_submission_agent