cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Probelm sending emails

FIXED
sgfj

Probelm sending emails

I am currently in Spain subscribed to a local wifi service that I always use when I am here.

Up until last week I was sending and receiving emails with no issues.  Today, when I tried to send an email, it wouldn't go:  I had a message to say that the outgoing server rejected my login details.  I haven't changed any settings in my laptop.  I am still receiving emails with no problem.

I am using Outlook 365 and the OS is Windows 10.  I keep all software auto-updated and indeed Windows installed new updates today (but after I had discovered outgoing email problems).

Outgoing server is relay.plus.net and I am using port 587 (I have also tried port 25 to no effect).  My outgoing server requires authentication and I've ticked the box to use same settings as incoming mail server.  Encryption method:  none.  I think all these settings are as per Plusnet guides.

The odd thing about it all is that last week outgoing email worked fine - and I've not changed anything.  Can anyone help ?

Rgds, sgfj

5 REPLIES 5
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Probelm sending emails

Hi @sgfj. thanks for your post.

We're sorry to hear of your email troubles.

So that we can determine whether this is a client or Plusnet issue, can you confirm whether or not you're able to send email via your webmail services?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Fix
What is the EXACT message?

“Rejecting login” could be a number of things. Personally I would suspect the local network connection. Are you able to connect via some other WiFi hotspot?

Sometimes network providers inhibit connection to smtp servers. It is often seen in some cells in mobile networks.

Is the problem persistent?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sgfj

Hi Townman,

I suspected that too and late last night I took the laptop to a public wifi hotspot, logged-in and... my outgoing emails went straightaway.  That kinda proved it was a problem with my normal wifi supplier - I contacted them and they confirmed they had had a local problem with their servers which they've fixed and indeed my outgoing emails are flying nicely.

Many thanks for your reviewing this and your comments.  You were absolutely right, it was the local wifi.

Best wishes

sgfj

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Really pleased to hear that you have a resolution.

Sometimes there can also be problems with 'public' network IP addresses - if one acquires an IP address which has a bad reputation, then connection might be refused.  Unfortunately email clients can be unclear as to the exact reason for a failed connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

I am glad to hear it's now sorted @sgfj,

Let us know if you have any further queries.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team