Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Probably a silly iPhone question!!!

GE90
Grafter

Probably a silly iPhone question!!!

Hi
I changed from a Windows 7 laptop to a Mac recently, and set up Mail with my Plusnet account. All good!
However, I'm thinking of changing from my Android to iphone, and want to be certain how the mail syncs. If I send an email from the iphone, will it go into my sent items on my Mac etc?Huh
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Probably a silly iPhone question!!!

What settings did you use to set up the Mail app? Primarily what is set for the incoming mail server, mail.plus.net or imap.plus.net?
That's RPM to you!!
GE90
Grafter

Hi
Thanks so much - just looked in Mail on the Mac, and the account type is POP, incoming server is mail.plus.net, and outgoing is relay.plus.net.
Under advanced, under 'Remove copy from server once retrieved', I have - Once removed from Inbox selected.
I am not sure whether the above needs changing, and where to start with the iPhone!!!
Thanks again, and look forward to any thoughts....
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Ok, in your current setup messages sent on the iPhone will not be added automatically to the sent folder on the Mac.
There is one way of getting them into the folder on the Mac, as long as you don't need to keep them accessible on the iPhone.
First you need to create an additional account in Mail on the Mac, this time using IMAP but using the same login details as the other account. Then when setting up on the iPhone, also using IMAP, make sure the sent messages are to be stored in the sent folder on the server rather than have them stored on the iPhone itself.
Once that's all set you can periodically, in Mail on the Mac, copy (or move - ie delete) over the sent messages stored in the IMAP sent folder into the POP account's sent folder.
I hope I've explained myself in an understandable way to you. If not, just ask anything you don't quite 'get' and I'll try to explain further.
That's RPM to you!!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: GE90
Thanks so much - just looked in Mail on the Mac, and the account type is POP, incoming server is mail.plus.net, and outgoing is relay.plus.net.
Under advanced, under 'Remove copy from server once retrieved', I have - Once removed from Inbox selected.

Hi Tony,
As per PM, it is much better to set EVERYTHING up as IMAP...
One thing I did not clearly explain was that with IMAP set up there is a kind of two stage configuration required...
1. Set up the incoming server to be imap.plus.net etc.
2. Connect the client to the server and synch the folders#
3. Go back into the settings and "map" the "local" SENT / DELETEd (trash) / DRAFT folders to those on the SERVER
If you do this for all devices, every device will see all email - received, sent or drafted.  Anything deleted on one, will be deleted everywhere.  I have email accounts accessed like this by 2x ipad, 2x iphone and 2x Windows (Win7 & Vista) using Outlook 2007 & 2010.  The user experience can be a little varied (OL2007 does not move deleted items to the trash folder) however it all largely works as I think you are looking for.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

GE90
Grafter

Kevin - thanks again.
I'm trying to do this now! I have just set up IMAP on my Mac, and also on the HTC One I'm using at the moment.
Getting stuck on lines 2 and 3 of your instructions!!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Tony,
Do the devices successfully connect to the IMAP servers?  Can you see the mailbox contents?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

GE90
Grafter

In progress Kevin..... still!
Yes, in Mail I have:
MAILBOXES HEADING with Inbox, Sent and Trash (with 2 mailboxes - one is my email address, the other says on my Mac).
MY EMAIL HEADING with various folders I have created
ON MY MAC HEADING with my previous folders
I am in the process of copying over from ON MY MAC folders to those under MY EMAIL HEADING, which are seen on my phone
No sure why I have 2 Trash folders under the first heading, but cannot play around while the emails are still copying over.
I guess I will need to manually copy over emails from the first 2 set of mailboxes to the ON MY MAC folders are archive.....?
Guess I will now more about how it is all going to work once I can have a play....
Thanks