cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible malware after Putty telnet download.

daddybear
Grafter

Possible malware after Putty telnet download.

Good Morning

Yesterday I had help from this forum to solve a problem with Plusnet e-mails  Thunderbird which is now OK.

Separately from this - but connected - I followed instructions the day before from Thunderbird to download Telnet from your website in the section "Testing Network Faults" . From this section I followed the recommendation to download the PuTTY suite to use in testing and tried to implement it with commands - in vain !!

In the event this was not necessary and so I uninstalled the programme.  Since then, however, I have been getting a black box randomly flashing up on my computer which prompts the showing of my Defaults page in Settings - often with Thunderbird highlighted but not aways.

The box is very fast, but seems to say at the top :-

C:\Windows\System32\cmd\exe

I am completely stumped by this. Can anybody help me to stop this happening?

Regards,

Roy.

2 REPLIES 2
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Possible malware after Putty telnet download.

Sounds like there are remnants left of app you thought you removed; try the free version of "Revo Uninstaller".
See if it still finds Putty bits on your hard drive.

If no luck read this article, involving going through your Registry.
https://www.minitool.com/news/remove-remnants-of-uninstalled-software.html
daddybear
Grafter

Re: Possible malware after Putty telnet download.

Hello Gel - thanks for the reply.

When I uninstalled the PuTTY Suite originally the other day I did use my Revo Uninstaller Free and also used the advanced Scan setting which is supposed to remove all remnants - whether it does or not, who knows?

This afternoon I will have a read through the article you linked to me and probably keep the details on hand in case I need to venture into the registry!!

Thanks again for your interest and help.

Roy.