Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pointing email to my Exchange Server

geraldholdswort
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Pointing email to my Exchange Server

Hi all,
I've just acquired a server with Windows 2003 and Exchange Server installed. I believe that it is possible to configure the DNS settings to point the mail to my own static IP address, however all the documentation I can find refers to SMTP and not Exchange.
Basically, I want to configure the DNS records on Plus net to point all emails to anything@mydomain.co.uk to an Exchange server at 111.222.333.444
Any help gratefully received.
Cheers,
Gerald.
3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Pointing email to my Exchange Server

http://www.plus.net/support/hosting/domains/domain_management.shtml
You need to enable SMTP delivery for your domain on PlusNet then configure your exchange server to accept mail for your domain. You also need to set up exchange to send via relay.plus.net or use DNS for delivery direct to the recipients mail server.
geraldholdswort
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Excellent - cheers. I had already found that, but was unsure that it would work for me.
Also, I probably already know the answer to this, but does the domain name that is configured on my server (which is a domain controller, as well as an exchange server) need to be the same as the external domain?
Only reason I'm asking is that the server was previously used in a small business (interestingly they also had a Plusnet account, so I'm assuming that the Exchange server is already set up on it), but I won't be using their domain name...and it looks like a right pain in the whossit to rename a domain - although I may be brave enough one day to attempt it!!! Obviously, I'll need to change the email addresses in AD to use the external domain.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Yes, exchange must be set-up with the domain it is responsible for so you do need to change it on the server.