cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet webmail using iPod corrupts sent emails

Tony_W
Grafter

Plusnet webmail using iPod corrupts sent emails

I was unable to use an iPod to send email within Webmail while on holiday as it was corrupting emails.
The 'Display name' was changed to:
}ºÜTÇBïÎ+sçR˹vÛpè€ôãï5yðëï�+ºj@‡

My email address became:
Ý3@force9.co.uk

Also, parts of the email were corrupted to, for example:
--
wfyTuƒ˜¨ð^{E�³È‹&Ic=i‹�skAxn°T); 98èÇÑÁ÷ÊϘÜm©€^ŽT5×ëÄ'Hzhqp‹º¾ßÂz?•Õ @+¶¬¼M�Ú†�ÎFfÈÐ�ú ­{ÏPšëªÚJa±±à7P‘km£'�&�8Jh-Ed5ÁK�ÖÜñÖ‹ñTËpc¦“S�6¶À¸`p:ê¿°

Has anyone else suffered the same problem?
I did a search of these forums, but did not come up with anything useful. It was only sending that was affected, I could check the incoming mail, but then had to answer via an internet cafe (insecure and costly).
Any info would be welcome...
Tony
11 REPLIES 11
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Plusnet webmail using iPod corrupts sent emails

Is it doing the same thing in the UK?
hulls
Grafter

I don't use web mail on my Ipod.  I use the IMAP mail set up instead, and haven't noticed the problem.
John
Tony_W
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Is it doing the same thing in the UK?

Sorry about the delay in picking this up, but it was my son's iPod, and I have only just been able to arrange a try in the uk.
Yes it does do the same in the UK.
As a test, you should use webmail (on an iPod) to send an email to any address. Then look in the webmail 'Sent' folder, click on the message to show its contents and look at the sending address. Mine came out as }ºÜTÇBïÎ+sçR˹vÛpè€ôãï5yðëï�+ºj@‡ <Ý3@force9.co.uk>
Also, the signature is corrupted, in my case to
×:;îa$�hU}àÏhégËåü’5J?õ@²^‹mMA!ˆZ©W3ÍÖñuôå#¦
Can someone else please confirm this effect - there must be many PN customers out there sending emails using Sqirrelmail on iPods?
Tony
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Tony
Can someone else please confirm this effect - there must be many PN customers out there sending emails using Sqirrelmail on iPods?

iPod Touch or iPhone? (Not that I imagine it differs). Matt actually has an iPhone so should be able to replicate the problem fairly easily if needs be. A load of my friends/family have them too. I'll try and get somebody to give it a bash the next time I get the chance.
Not entirely related, but I know from experience a few weeks back that the Blackberry browser doesn't get on with SquirrelMail at all Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Bob
Matt actually has an iPhone so should be able to replicate the problem fairly easily if needs be.

Tried sending an email this morning and was unable to replicate the problem. That was using an iPhone though and not an iPod.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

hulls
Grafter

Probably a daft question - I have a whole bunch of them. Crazy
Does your Ipod have some unusual font running?  This looks like it may be an unknown font issue  Huh
As I said above, I use IMAP on the Ipod's mail program, and it works ok.  I'll try sending an email on squirral mail this evening.
John
Tony_W
Grafter

That was using an iPhone though and not an iPod.

Thank you for getting back to me on this Bob.
The corrupt email was sent was using my son's iPod Touch - so it is using the Safari  browser over a wi-fi link to access SquirrelMail. I can only assume that it is due to some unicode problem.
Since we are in an increasingly mobile environment, is there any way that SquirrelMail can be made to work properly while browsing with mobile devices like the iPod or the Blackberry?
The situation was made worse because I did not know that the corruption was taking place until I had been using it for a few days .
Quote from: hulls
Does your Ipod have some unusual font running?

No unusual font John - my wife has since purchased an iPod Touch and, with the standard setup, it is doing exactly the same....
Tony
hulls
Grafter

Hi
You're absolutely right ( you knew you were!  ;D)
The message is right, but the " from"  field says "Fÿ¥’ö 2pÍ¢¼�+.œ <tuàPµfx@free-online.co.uk>"  it loses the user name after the @ as well.
It also hasn't reached my windows mobile yet (I don't know what the hold-up is)
As I said though, the IMAP function works fine for free-online mail so it's not all doom and gloom.
John
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Since we are in an increasingly mobile environment, is there any way that SquirrelMail can be made to work properly while browsing with mobile devices like the iPod or the Blackberry?

Works fine on my N900 Tongue
To answer your question though, I'm not sure what (if anything) we could do without knowing a little more about the problem. I'll see if I can get somebody here to take a look into things..

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Tony_W
Grafter

Works fine on my N900 Tongue

Having been around computing for more that 10 years before Apple brought out the Macintosh, I am not a fan of the company or their devices.
However, it is one of the most popular mobile platforms, and webmail will increasingly be used with it. Yes, you can use IMAP, but the average user will not know about (or bother with) that - they will just send emails using webmail which they will not know are being corrupted.
So I am afraid that you are right Bob, the choice is to either correct it to work with Apple mobile devices, or change the webmail package to one which will.
Tony
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

However, it is one of the most popular mobile platforms, and webmail will increasingly be used with it.

Not sure about this TBH. I would argue that Safari on the iPhone is, but on the iPod? We've tried replicating the problem multiple times using Safari on an iPhone and we can't. I'm struggling to understand why Apple would have two variants of Safari running on the same OS across two different devices?
So I am afraid that you are right Bob, the choice is to either correct it to work with Apple mobile devices, or change the webmail package to one which will.

Changing the Webmail package is drastic when there are workarounds in place. It's also worth considering that Squirrel was around before the iPhone/iPod touch so should the consensus be on Squirrel sorting the problem or Apple?
It reminds me of another problem affecting Madasafish Webmail and Google Chrome. It was Google to blame in that instance and not our Webmail platform. What's to say it's not a Safari bug?
We could try upgrading the SquirrelMail build as we're a couple of builds behind IIRC.
The latest release apparently contains a few bug fixes, including:
[quote author="squirrelmail.org"]Of those new fixes and improvements not included in our last release candidate, the most notable fix is that for the formerly broken search page, but we've also fixed sorting in the Sent folder, handling of complex mailto: addresses, display of multibyte subjects, quoting of encoded headers, automatic installation address detection (especially useful for lighttpd environments), a privacy issue related to DNS prefetching of email content, and added unread links in the message view and a Gmail IMAP configuration option.
I've asked if we've any plans to upgrade any time soon...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team