cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet webmail problems when using ipad

seagull2006uk

Plusnet webmail problems when using ipad

Hello,
I am totally new to the forums, please bear with me!
I have a problem when checking my mails using webmail on my ipad. I login no problem but when I try to scroll through the mails by flicking my finger this does not happen, I can only see the first nine mails, if I uncheck the preview pane obviously I can see more mails but again I cannot scroll. Everything works fine on my pc and mobile (android).
I have contacted Apple and they say the problem lies with PlusNet and vice versa, its rather annoying.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18
shipley22

Re: Plusnet webmail problems when using ipad

It is not going to be a problem with an ISP if it is only the device having this problem and only specific for the use of the scrolling feature.
I would say to check that the reading pane on your Ipad is not selected to reading mode (open with a book in the address bar) to see if this improves the issue.
Alternatively try using 3 fingers together to scroll down assuming it does not let you scroll down on any other page/pane but if this does not work, i have no other suggestions, other than to not use web mail and maybe attempt a set up on the mail application on the Ipad.
this link may help if you decide to do that.
http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/ios-setup.shtml
Cheesy

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Welcome to the forum seagull2006uk Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Welcome to the forums.
Webmail uses frames ipad doesn't like frames.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hello Seagull,
Welcome to the forums.
I have just looked at this and can assure you that this is an Apple Safari issue for which you are unlikely to get a remedy.  There are functional limitations of touch screen interfaces.
1. The iPad does not show a scroll bar for the mail items - touching the area in an attempt to scroll the list selects an item to be displayed in preview.
2. The iPad does not show the content in preview correctly - instead of keeping it within the screen and showing a scroll bar, the preview content overflows off the screen. Attempting to scroll email list then shrinks the screen.
Best option is to turn preview off!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Midnight
Webmail uses frames ipad doesn't like frames.

In what way?
Websites I have developed using iframes appear to work fine on the iPad.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

seagull2006uk

Thanks for all your repays, much appreciated. From what I have read the problem appears to be Apple related, I shall try them again.
shipley22

From what you already said about them passing you back to Plusnet I doubt they will be able to give a satisfactory answer, an alternative I would say is can't you get a different browser on the ipad like Google Chrome? If you get this and it fixes the problem the proof is in the pudding and that makes it apple's lovely safari browser that is the cause of your upset and undoubtedly many hours of wasted time between companies searching for solutions and ending up in frustration.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@MidnightCaller, I know what an iframe is thank you, I do not heed a tutorial.  The question asked is from where do you assert that iPads do not support iframes?  That statement is not valid.
@Shipley22, I do not think this is an issue with safari, so much as it is an issue with the touch screen UI.  Touch screens defeat a lot of ruch functionality on web pages, especially in respect of hover and scroll functionality.

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I've tried it works on Hudl but does no work on iPad with Google Chrome or Safari  Undecided
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
shipley22

Quote from: PeterLoftus
I've tried it works on Hudl but does no work on iPad with Google Chrome or Safari  Undecided

In this case i would give it up as a limitation to the Ipad and hope that it gets sorted in some update to the Ipads system possibly?
Dalesman
Grafter

Uh-oh, just seen this.  Just bought my OH an ipad to replace a much-loved Samsung netbook, which is used constantly for browsing, social media and webmail.  We both use webmail on any portable devices to 'check' emails, later downloading to Outlook on our desktops, so important email can be stored indefinitely and backed-up.  Non-functioning webmail is going to take the shine off the ipad on 25/12!  It's a pity as I'd come to the conclusion it was the best option, rather than Windows 8.1 or Android tablets, after a lot of research!  Can anyone think of a workaround?
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

The IPad email client is very good and we do what you say. Our emails are all backed up on outlook  Cool
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

The simplest way to get around this issue is to set a number of emails to display in the frame, low enough to show up all without any need to scroll the list. Then just use the page views to see the rest in the folder.
That's RPM to you!!