Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet server on Trend blacklist

RobDickson
Grafter

Re: Plusnet server on Trend blacklist

Quote from: Rob
I've just had an email to a Yahoo.com email address rejected.

Quote from: Anotherone
I've just sent several messages from Plusnet using Squirrel Mail,  Roundcube & Outlook Express to several yahoo addresses with no problems.

I'm still having problems sending to a yahoo.com email address. I get error 552 "message rejected due to spam or virus". I don't know whether it's being rejected by PlusNet or by Yahoo. I don't have problems sending to any other email addresses.
I "raised a ticket" and got asked for the email headers. I'm probably being stupid, but surely emails in my sent items don't have email headers.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I know Bob is a very busy person, but someone else from Plusnet could have addressed my query in reply #68 which referred to this
Whilst Matt's reply #85 does say that Plusnet now have examples, I still want to know whether the initial information provided by Trend gave Plusnet sufficient detail to look for sources of the SPAM.
Quote from: jesspuss
@jelv : You may consider the PlusNet email service to be a free add-on but to me it is one of the key integral offerings within the service.
In fact when I joined PlusNet in the dim and distant past the separate email addresses was one of the main selling points.
I realise that I'm a bit like Daniel in the lions den with all you technical experts around and thank you for your suggestions (some more plausible than others).
But my point is that I pay PlusNet to sort all this out for me - the email I received from Trend seems to suggest that PlusNet did not respond to requests for action from them (Trend) - is this the case?
I don't believe that I am alone in expecting a fully supported service from PlusNet rather than a semi-DIY one.

Now whilst jelv said earlier that is wasn't  Plusnet's fault, there is a fine line between what is Plusnet's fault and Plusnet's responsibility and if Spam is being sent from Plusnet servers it's undoubtedly Plusnet's responsibility to put a stop to it.
If I was trying to respond to an NHS email about an urgent Hospital appointment and it wasn't getting through I would be more than a bit angry with Plusnet. We had all this nonsense not too long ago with mail being sent to Hotmail addresses and that wasn't the first time, and here we are another user is having problems sending to a Yahoo address as well.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I actually said
Quote from: jelv
The bottom line is it is NOT all Plusnet's fault.

Note the significant word "all".
One of the objections in the past about enforcing authentication for all outgoing messages was the workload educating users on how to reconfigure their mail clients. How about having two sets of outgoing servers, one fully locked down that needs some reconfiguring by users and the other continuing as at present which would continue to be vulnerable to issues like the current one. In time you'd hope to migrate all users to the new servers and be able to shut the insecure servers down. I'd happily reconfigure my end to have a safer service.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
x47c
Grafter

.....and I hope at the end compulsorily closing the Plusnet account(s) from whom this is all traced back to.
MrToast
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
How about having two sets of outgoing servers, one fully locked down that needs some reconfiguring by users

I'd go for that. Add to it some mechanism to enforce password strength and SSL connections. There are a lot of un-encrypted WiFi access points that people use in Cafe's etc.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: MrToast

I'd go for that.

Me too.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
RobDickson
Grafter

I think my problem was unrelated. I deleted two URLs from my email and Yahoo stopped blocking the email.
The two URLs were:
http://shop.summerwinebrewery.co.uk/barista-espresso-stout-48-abv-330ml-9-p.asp
http://www.holbornwhippet.com/
I haven't tried again to see which URL Yahoo objected to.
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: x47c
.....and I hope at the end compulsorily closing the Plusnet account(s) from whom this is all traced back to.

If it is a Plusnet account, and if it's not some poor sucker that's got a spambot !
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: Rob
I think my problem was unrelated. I deleted two URLs from my email and Yahoo stopped blocking the email.
The two URLs were:
http://shop.summerwinebrewery.co.uk/barista-espresso-stout-48-abv-330ml-9-p.asp
http://www.holbornwhippet.com/
I haven't tried again to see which URL Yahoo objected to.

Well now isn't that odd, I just tried send those two url's via roundcube and I got -
SMTP Error: [552] DkkB1j0051sg6PG01kkChP message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.

Too damn right it's in error, what's spam about those two links, they open fine, no virus on the pages
Anotherone
Champion

It's this http://www.holbornwhippet.com/ that it doesn't like  Angry
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: HPsauce
Someone, somewhere is STILL being somewhat "economical with the truth" if that's all today - how long has this been going on now?   Roll_eyes

What's more the service status says nothing about locating the source of the spam
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=post2
And why hasn't it been updated, it's 2 days old
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It may be 2 days old, but there is very little more info to update it with hence the next update being set to 25/05/2012 @ 11:00.
Regarding the URLs being rejected when sending, if a ticket is raised with the full error along with the URLs we can contact Cloudmark for this.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

see reply #99 and
SMTP Error: [552] DkkB1j0051sg6PG01kkChP message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Indeed, but we need the full error message on a ticket from the account having the issue. The team that will look at the ticket don't work on the forums!
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

As helpful as ever.
And there was reply #96