cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet server on Trend blacklist

prichardson
Grafter

Re: Plusnet server on Trend blacklist

It's not possible to do this unfortunately due to the way the systems operate.
Those IPs operate as the out interfaces for mail those systems have processed. Their in interfaces reside behind a load balancers, so not accessible directly.
dazzledoc

Just like to add my note of frustration at the inability of Plusnet to sort this out after over a week. I too need to contact an NHS establishment to conduct business and to say this is inconvenient is an understatement. Are Plusnet going to to offer to reduce our monthly payment or some other compensation for their inability to provide a full service?
MrToast
Grafter

Quote from: P
Those IPs operate as the out interfaces for mail those systems have processed.

OK.... why can't the 'out' interfaces be given alternative IP's?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dazzledoc,
If you have a gmail/yahoo account etc you could use their outgoing mail server for now. We're doing everything we can to get the owners of the blacklist to remove us but it seems they're being more aggressive than usual.
@Mr. Toast if there was a workaround we'd have put it in place, but sadly it's not that simple.
Jojo Smiley
avatastic
Grafter

I don't see why not.
Unless there are SPF rules which list the outgoing mail servers which would need the new IP addresses adding, it really is just as simple as changing the ip address on the last hop in the chain.
Its not like MX records need updating for Outgoing mail.
Unless there's something I've missed?
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

A workaround that users can try has been suggested.
Quote from: Rich
Thanks James.
For anyone else having problems, I used "Free SMTP Server" from http://www.softstack.com to re-send the problem email.  This allows the black-listed PlusNet servers to be bypassed.
Richard

This may not work if the recipients email server rejects emails from dynamic IP ranges.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
RobDickson
Grafter

I've just had an email to a Yahoo.com email address rejected. I haven't seen Yahoo email addresses mentioned in relation to this problem. Hopefully things haven't got worse......
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: avatastic
Unless there are SPF rules which list the outgoing mail servers which would need the new IP addresses adding, it really is just as simple as changing the ip address on the last hop in the chain.
Its not like MX records need updating for Outgoing mail.
Unless there's something I've missed?

All of our Madasafish domains have a text entry for SPF so yes that would need updating. That's pretty trivial though to be honest. The main problem with changing the IPs is that new IPs don't have a reputation and won't be known as a legitimate source of heavy email traffic. Ironically this causes problems where the servers end up getting blacklisted or throttled. We saw a lot of this the last time the IPs changed when the outbound Cloudmark devices were introduced. We shouldn't really have gone for a 'big bang' approach and instead should have gradually phased the servers in to allow enough time for the reputation of the IPs to 'warm up'.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I've just sent several messages from Plusnet using Squirrel Mail,  Roundcube & Outlook Express to several yahoo addresses with no problems.
Can you answer this query please Bob?
MrToast
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
The main problem with changing the IPs is that new IPs don't have a reputation

Thanks Bob, there had to be a reason why you were not changing IP's and that clearly explains why.
I still think we can be distracted here as to the real problem. The main issue, it seems to me, is with crude inward SPAM filtering at some ISP's. The idea that a legitimate email source IP will never have any SPAM on it is naive and counter productive to the overall usefulness of email communication.
Most of my correspondents are receiving my email fine. I've encouraged those on Optusnet (an ISP in Australia who use the Trend list) to consider an alternative email provider. Its not just PN servers that end up on that list. Thats the area I would look at as a customer to improve email.
Simon
Grafter

.. 3 weeks and counting.
What about telling Trend you'll block access/communication to their sites from Plusnet connections..?
That's basically what they're causing.
jesspuss

Like some of the other contributors I have been a very satisfied PlusNet subscriber ... but this isse with the Trend blacklist is rapidly turning me into an unsatisfied subscriber.
My wife is unable to communicate with colleagues in the NHS and my daughter with her University tutor.
And I'm unable to use a listserv based at Exeter university.
Is this issue receiving high-level attention within PlusNet management?
What Severity level is assigned to this issue?
Given that this has now been ongoing for nearly 2 weeks I would be very hard pressed to feel that I can recommend PlusNet to anyone at the moment ...
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

This http://blog.wordtothewise.com/2011/08/a-disturbing-trend/ makes interesting reading regarding the Trend blacklisting policy

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI guys,
we are doing all we can with this but sadly at the moment we're at the mercy of Trend as to when they remove us.
Jojo Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The bottom line is it is NOT all Plusnet's fault.
If you read the link provided by MisterW it would be so easy to get any ISP's mail servers listed if you knew the address of one of Trend's traps.
Totally to blame are the administrators who place total reliance on the blacklist; it should only be used as part of a scoring system. If an email looks a bit spammy AND it's on a blacklist then reject it, but if it doesn't look like remotely like spam it should be accepted.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)