Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet server on Trend blacklist

Frogger
Grafter

Re: Plusnet server on Trend blacklist

Looks like Spamcop have our mailservers blacklisted as well,,,
Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.
<[DELETED]@o2.co.uk>:
Remote host said: 550 mail not accepted from blacklisted IP address, see: http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml [77.238.189.210] [MAIL_FROM]
--- Below this line is a copy of the message.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I've just done a lookup against all of our mail server IPs using Spamcop's lookup tool and none of them are listed?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Frogger
Grafter

Thanks Bob,
I have rechecked with the original receipient, it failed once, but now is working again. I think O2, may have had a transient issue, now cleared.
Sorry for the scare
Frogger
stuartp
Grafter

Is there any evidence of access to some web sites being blocked by this blacklisting as well as emails being rejected? I have one site that I regularly access and have found that  database lookups fail or succeed depending on which PlusNet gateway I'm connected to. The site maintainer states:
"Unfortunately you seem to be another victim of this problem which affects some of Plusnet's routers. From your follow up post, it appears you are familiar with trace route. There are three groups of routers, pcl, which do not work, ptw, which as far as we know all work and ptn, which are mixed, some work, some don't. The problem started on 28th March.
They have been somewhat reluctant to communicate with me since I am not a customer. As of this morning, I have heard a suggestion that certain Plusnet addresses are being blacklisted, though I don't know if that is the cause. We are extremely frustrated by this and the difficulty in getting anything done to resolve the situation."
Running a surname search at this URL http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html will succeed or fail depending on the gateway. The page does a GET to the main database at:
Request URL:
http://obelix.mdnx.net/cgi-bin/search.cgi?First=&Surname=jones&FatherFirst=&FatherSurname=&event=&lo...
Request Method:
    GET
Status Code:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
It is all calls to  http://obelix.mdnx.net/ ; that are rejected. Unfortunately I get no diagnostics as the page just hangs.
I have just re-connected to lo0-central7.ptn-ag04.plus.net and this one works.  lo0-central5.pcl-ag02.plus.net, lo0-central2.pcl-ag07.plus.net both fail (as do others)
Any assistance would be useful as I can then feed back to the site maintainer.
Stuart

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

This is nothing to do with the Trend issue. It's been known for some time that the routing on some of the PN gateways is borked.
I can't reach http://obelix.mdnx.net/ from ptn-ag02
Windows tracert gets there. I don't use Linux, but if I did I'm sure I'd find that a TCP port 80 tracert would go in to a loop.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
avatastic
Grafter

This is a problem with the IWF filters and certain sites on certain gateways.
There are a couple of threads about this. (But no reference to an internal problem ID being assigned to address the IWF issue in either of them)
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: avatastic
This is a problem with the IWF filters and certain sites on certain gateways.

Stuart's problem with obelix.mdnx.net has nothing to do with the IWF filters or the Trend blacklisting issue. We've been looking into this since back in April (ref: 71240). We've done loads of testing and been in contact with the network admin for mxnx.net. They provided us with some traces back to some of our affected IPs and one thing we noticed was the fact that they seemed to be taking a different route compared to the outbound traces from us. We asked if the routing back and forth through their network is symmetric, but didn't receive a response. We've chased them about this but at present all evidence suggests the problem lies within the mdnx network.
Quote from: avatastic
There are a couple of threads about this. (But no reference to an internal problem ID being assigned to address the IWF issue in either of them)

The problem ID for the IWF/routing issue is ref: 71500.
Anyways ...
Quote from: Bob
avasout01 - 84.93.230.227
avasout02 - 212.159.14.17
avasout03 - 84.93.230.244 *
avasout04 - 212.159.14.19
avasout05 - 84.93.230.250
avasout06 - 212.159.14.18
avasout07 - 84.93.230.235
avasout08 - 212.159.14.20

All of these servers have now been de-listed, so people should no longer have problems sending mail to recipients that rely on Trend's RBL Smiley
We'll close the service status thread shortly ...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵