cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet server on Trend blacklist

jesspuss

Re: Plusnet server on Trend blacklist

OK - can accept that this is not all PlusNet's fault ... but at the moment the service that I'm receiving in relation to email is less than adequate.
I've noticed several workarounds described in this thread which I'm sure are excellent ones ... but that's not really the point either. I'm paying PlusNet to provide a service and in relation to email that service is falling short of what I have come to expect.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jesspuss - have YOU contacted the NHS or Exeter Uni technical support to find out what THEY are doing about resolving the problems caused by THEIR email service provider failing to provide working communications, and ask if THEY can provide an alternative route through their systems which can deliver your emails ?
[quote=jesspuss]I'm paying PlusNet good money to provide a service and in relation to email that service is not currently being provided.
Plusnet are accepting your emails and correctly delivering them, it is NOT really Plusnet's problem if you happen to be sending messages to a recipient who chooses to reject your messages because their filtering method is flawed by design.
Your argument is the equivalent of my mother-in-law blaming BT for me not answering the phone when I see her caller ID displayed  Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you lucky my Mother in Law puts number with held on mine Embarrassed Undecided Sad Angry
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: jesspuss
I'm paying PlusNet to provide a service and in relation to email that service is falling short of what I have come to expect.

1. Plusnet are attempting to deliver the emails - it's the recipient that is refusing to accept it them. I suggest you ask the recipient for an alternative email address.
2. Email is a free add-on to the service - you are paying Plusnet for an internet connection only.
If you want Plusnet to fix it get hold of the admin login and password on the NHS and Exeter Uni servers so that Plusnet can go in to their and remove the blacklist check!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jesspuss

@jelv : You may consider the PlusNet email service to be a free add-on but to me it is one of the key integral offerings within the service.
In fact when I joined PlusNet in the dim and distant past the separate email addresses was one of the main selling points.
I realise that I'm a bit like Daniel in the lions den with all you technical experts around and thank you for your suggestions (some more plausible than others).
But my point is that I pay PlusNet to sort all this out for me - the email I received from Trend seems to suggest that PlusNet did not respond to requests for action from them (Trend) - is this the case?
I don't believe that I am alone in expecting a fully supported service from PlusNet rather than a semi-DIY one.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Sorry about how long this is going on. We're continuing to ask for examples of the spam that's being sent so we can track it back and find the relevant servers etc so we can lock everything down but are so far still waiting for a response, we will update as soon as there's any more information.
Are you following the service status thread on the issue? It's at http://status.plus.net, there's also an RSS feed for updates that you can sign up to which is at http://usertools.plus.net/status/status.xml
Hope that helps.
Robtheplod
Grafter

Hello, I've just had this reply from Trend:
Hello,
This 84.93.230.250 was listed because we received spam coming from this IP address and because no action was taken when we reported this to your ISP.  We still continue to see spam attempts from this IP address.
Please contact your ISP or mail administrator, and have them contact us for removal as we need those who have a direct access to the mail server to fix the problem. If you have further questions, you may contact them directly regarding the status of this IP address. Thanks again.
Kind regards,
Spam Investigations Team
Trend Micro Inc.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Trend:
Hello, This 84.93.230.250 was listed because we received spam coming from this IP address and because no action was taken when we reported this to your ISP.  We still continue to see spam attempts from this IP address.

And..
Quote from: Matt
We're continuing to ask for examples of the spam that's being sent so we can track it back and find the relevant servers etc so we can lock everything down but are so far still waiting for a response,

Someone is being "economical with the truth"  Cry
And the customers (of both organisations) are "piggy in the middle".
Someone needs to bang a few heads together!  Angry
Robtheplod
Grafter

I have 16 customers who can no longer email any NHS clients and it's really starting to cause problems......  Cry
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aren't the examples of SPAM for the stated IP addresses on the TrendMicro website good enough ?
http://www.mail-abuse.com/cgi-bin/show_listing.cgi?5188053
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Unfortunately that one's from back in May, we need recent examples so we can track the sources.
Out of the 8 we have, 2 servers are still sending spam. Trend have provided us with examples of the ones that they're collecting, these have been forwarded on to our anti-spam partner who we're liaising with to see if there's any way we can improve the automated detection of these.
We're continuing to work on getting the remaining two servers removed from the blacklist.
HPsauce
Pro

Trend:
no action was taken when we reported this to your ISP.  We still continue to see spam attempts from this IP address.

And..
We're continuing to ask for examples of the spam that's being sent so we can track it back and find the relevant servers etc so we can lock everything down but are so far still waiting for a response,

Now...
Trend have provided us with examples of the ones that they're collecting,

Someone, somewhere is STILL being somewhat "economical with the truth" if that's all today - how long has this been going on now?   Roll_eyes
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I generally accept what Plusnet have said and done about the current situation, and that users of the Trend blacklist are partly to blame for using such a blunt instrument alone in their anti-spam attempt.  I don't think it's fair of Plusnet to "wash its hands" of the situation by saying the email service is a free addition, so we shouldn't expect as much support for it: it might be how Plusnet see email, but it's not how its customers do.  I realise that, in this current situation, Plusnet are doing everything they can - and it's a case of waiting for Trend to give them information and to act on Plusnet's actions and remove us from their blacklist.
However, in the longer term, isn't there something that can be done to improve the Plusnet email system?  I'm not all that knowledgeable about these things, but there are a few ideas on the Plusnet Usergroup Issue Tracker (PUGIT) that seem to offer the potential for the Plusnet email system to more easily prevent spam being sent through Plusnet, which would mean anti-spam services like Trend would trust Plusnet servers more.  For example, Sender Policy Framework and Authorised outgoing SMTP email and Encrypted SMTP and Changing rDNS to ip.plus.com.
HPsauce
Pro

It's difficult to interpret what's going on, but having seen very many such "events" I'd say it was more likely Trend being inflexible/obstinate (compared to other blacklist operators) combined with certain customers of Trend being blinkered/inflexible in their approach to procurement of IT services.......
(or dare I even suggest a "might is right" approach  Lips_are_sealed )
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Since I had my original problems I am able to get through to the NHS addresses I use without difficulty.