Did you mean: 

Plusnet no longer offer an email only account

FIXED
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Plusnet no longer offer an email only account

It might be easier if you were to describe the problem you are encountering.  Things do not work quite the way you might presume.

1. Emails sent to the mailbox will sit on the server
  2. You can set up an email client using whatever email address you chose and have it access whatever mailbox you chose if you can specify the mailbox user account separate from the email address
  3. Your email client can reply to any received email using any email address at its disposal

All of the above being potentially do able probably does not answer your real (unasked) question!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chrisbrown2106
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Sorry @Townman I think I have caused confusion! I have got my mail client set up accessing the email account I want it to use. My question about the default mailbox was because I noticed while using plusnet webmail my username@username mailbox was not working correctly and as a first thought I wondered if this was not a usable mailbox. Since my earlier post I think it may have something to do with identities in the mailbox. Thanks for taking the time to answer but I will try changing the identities information and see what happens. Sorry to have wasted your time.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Fix
Time is never wasted if it helps with understanding.

This might help further …

In respect of the default mailbox if CATCHALL is enabled anything@ which is not an otherwise identified mail address will be delivered to that mailbox.

In webmail you can have other identities on a mailbox and sent mail can be made to come from any of those identities.

In outlook you can change the from address to be any address you have configured and it will be sent via that account’s SMTP service.

You can also use “other” addresses and send using an already configured address.

I use catchall so that I can have unique addresses for each organisation I give an email address to (if it gets abused I can kill it). All such mail arrives in the default account. If I need to reply to it, in webmail I use / create an identity for the address, in outlook I create an “other” address and send using the default mailbox settings.

Does that help any?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chrisbrown2106
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Thanks @Townman I have had a look at the default username@username setting and it has retained an identity I had previously used which I thought would have been deleted when the default mailbox was renamed to "username@username" when my account was recreated - hence my confusion.  Again thanks for the info and your help.  Hopefully I wont need to both people here again with a problem I could have sorted if I had thought a bit more about it!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sometimes we all need a guiding hand.  On other occasions, you finding an issue and a solution will help someone else - possibly without them needing to ask at all.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483
Moved:

collinsdesign
Dabbler

Gandalf,

Prodding as suggested! The 'phone number has moved, the account is showing as closing down, and email has stopped. 

(For reference, the ticket I raised requested email, domain hosting and registration and webspace to be retained)

Regards,

Steve (Collinsdesign)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks Steve, I've raised the NetOps task now (ref: INFOPS-76871) and I'll let you know once they've picked it up. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Steve,

Looks like we've reactivated your account tonight and you've recreated your mailboxes etc. 

I've asked our NetOps folk to restore any mail which was present in those boxes at the time of the cancellation. 

Once I've heard back, I'll let you know. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
collinsdesign
Dabbler

Gandalf,

That was a lot quicker than I expected, so thank-you for helping things along. The webspace is back, and the domain is working for email, although it is not showing up yet in the hosting section of the account settings. I assume that it will reappear as the account changes filter through.

Regards,

Steve (collinsdesign)

collinsdesign
Dabbler

Gandalf,

I'm not sure if this is expected behaviour, but the new email accounts cannot be accessed from webmail or Outlook this morning (login error). The default mailbox is working though. My plusnet account page is still showing "Your account is closing down,...." so possibly just needs some more time.

Regards,

Steve (collinsdesign)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Steve,

Having a look we're definitely still hosting your .com domain and doing a who.is check shows the records are still there. The domain is also showing on our side in the domain control system. 

If you go to Manage Account > Manage my domains, do you see it there? 

Regarding the additional mailboxes login failures, sometimes that can happen after restoring. I've refreshed the mail component now which should fix that. Could you try logging in after half an hour?

Let me know how it goes. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
collinsdesign
Dabbler

Gandalf,

The "Domains on this account" list under "Manage your domains" is still empty.

Regarding mailboxes, two of the three are accessible again, but the w*@ mailbox shows "ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server." when using webmail.  The password os OK because if I change it the message is "Unknown user or password incorrect."

Regards,

Steve (collinsdesign)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Steve,

Hmm. I can't figure out why the domain's not showing up in the portal, but try clearing cache & cookies in your browser and/or logging in through private browsing mode (incognito, if you use Chrome).  I'm thinking that the browser may be showing an old cached copy of the domains page in the portal. Let me know how it goes. 

The error "ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server" is somewhat normal unfortunately and can happen. It's part of a known performance issue with webmail which we're aware of and there's no known fix currently. 

Does your w*@ mailbox work when logging in via a mail client? 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
collinsdesign
Dabbler

Gandalf,

I have tried Opera in normal and private mode, firefox and chrome, but no domain!

Regarding the w*@ email account, in Outlook I get 

Task 'w*@* - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings.  The server responded: -ERR Temporary problem, please try again later'

Regards,

Steve (collinsdesign)