Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet mail server blocking Lidl Newsletter

FIXED
Planner
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Plusnet mail server blocking Lidl Newsletter

Have been trying to get the regular Lidl Newsletter delivered to my Outlook client using my PlusNet email address. Although I registered to receive these emails nothing was ever delivered. I contacted Lidl support and they said I was set up on their systems to receive these emails. I then set up the Newsletter to be delivered to my Gmail account and then set up a forward to my PlusNet account. However the forwarded Newsletter was blocked with an error message stating 'The response from the remote server was: 552 Spam Message Rejected'

I contacted PlusNet Tech Support about this issue and was told that this is a known problem. According to Tech Support all PlusNet email addresses are not able to receive the Lidl Newsletter and that it is links within the Newsletter that get blocked by the Spam Filters within the PlusNet mail-server. I found this an odd response since the Aldi Newsletter is of a similar format but I receive this ok. 

Would be interested to know if other PlusNet users are similarly affected?

17 REPLIES 17
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Plusnet mail server blocking Lidl Newsletter

Hi @Planner, I am sorry that you are having issues.

I'm not aware myself of any issues that would prevent you receiving the newsletter altogether.

If you log in to the member centre and go to the manage mail section, you can change the spam filters and also add the address into an 'approved address' list. If you haven't already, might be worth giving that a go.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Planner
Hooked

Hi LaurenB, thanks for your response. I've added the Lidl newsletter email address into the Whitelist filtering in the Spam Protection section. I now need to wait for a newsletter to see if it has made any difference. I'll let you know if that works. regards, Planner 

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

OK great, got my fingers crossed for you! Just get back to us if there is still an issue.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@Planner wrote:

Would be interested to know if other PlusNet users are similarly affected?

As a test I've signed up for the Lidl newsletter. The confirmation email came through without problems and I've confirmed my address.

Let's see how things go when they send out the next issue. As things stand I don't have their sender address in my whitelist.

David
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I received my first newsletter from Lidl this afternoon. It was rated as Level 1 spam, so delivered to my Spam folder (I don't have the sender address whitelisted).

I've reported it as Not spam using webmail.

David
Planner
Hooked

Thanks David & Lauren for your responses.

After adding the Lidl UK Newsletter info@newsletter.lidl.co.uk email address into the Whitelist on the Spam Protection section of the PlusNet website I was hopeful that I would receive the newsletter. However I got exactly the same response as before.

I do not receive anything directly on my PlusNet email address but, similar to David, I got the newsletter yesterday afternoon delivered to my Gmail address. But once again, if forwarded to my PlusNet address it fails with the message '.....response from the remote server was: '552 Spam Message Rejected''. Nothing is delivered to my Spam folder (I use Bullguard).

It was gratifying to learn that David can get the newsletter delivered to his PlusNet address which does indicate that there is no inherent reason why I should not also receive the newsletter to my PlusNet address. I have tried reregistering for the Lidl newsletter again but I don't even get the email asking me to confirm my subscription. I don't know if this is because I am already set up on the Lidl system as confirmed by Lidl support some months back.

STOP PRESS: I have just tried setting up an alias to my PlusNet address in the Manage my Mail section of the PlusNet website and I have received an email from Lidl to this address asking me to confirm my subscription. Maybe this will overcome the problem; I will find out when Lidl next send out a newsletter.

I will keep you informed.

Charles    

spraxyt
Resting Legend

It's plausible that Lidl take no action if an email address is already registered in their Newsletter database; however I would have thought they would mention "already registered" on their registration response page if this applies. When I registered I was told to expect a confirmation email.

Registering again with a different address should be successful. Their systems have no means for determining that the new address is an alias of an old one.

@Planner do you have "discard obvious spam" set? I don't but wondered if that setting overrode even whitelisting. I can confirm the whitelist entry you mentioned is the correct one for direct emails; however does the return path get rewritten when Gmail forwards it?

David
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @Planner,

It sounds like there might be a breakthrough with the alias setting, but if not I second what @spraxyt has said and to check if the discard obvious spam setting is on. This is to make sure it isn't discarding the mail before registering it as being on your approved list. If this is set to off the mail that it thinks is spam is marked with [-SPAM-] in the subject line to allow you to determine either way, and depending on any further settings is moved to the Spam Folder.

Planner
Hooked

Thanks all for your replies.

Looking into your advice I found that the 'Discard obvious Spam' within my PlusNet 'Manage my Mail' section was switched 'on'. I have now switched this 'off'. I don't have any Spam protection within my Bullguard Internet Security so there is nothing within this utility which would prevent my getting these Lidl email Newsletter.

I await the next Lidl Newsletter to see if these actions have produced the desired result.

Charles

Planner
Hooked

Fix

Hey success

Today I received the Lidl Newsletter email via the alias address I created on Tuesday. It wasn't tagged as [-SPAM-] which it should have been had it been subject to the PlusNet spam filter. So it must been transmitted through as normal.

I then logged on to my Gmail account and Forwarded today's Lidl Newsletter to my main PlusNet email address and this also arrived in my Inbox without any issues or SPAM tag. Previously these emails had been blocked with  '552 Spam Message Rejected'.

Moreover I then signed up for the Lidl Newsletter using my main PlusNet address and the email requiring me to confirm my subscription came through to this address. I will need to wait for the next Newsletter to see if I receive these emails to my main PlusNet address.

So don't know what was going wrong previously but at the moment everything appears to be working normally.

thanks everyone for your help

Charles   

spraxyt
Resting Legend

As with the previous Lidl newsletter today's was tagged as Level 1 spam for me and moved to my Spam folder. I've reported it as "not spam" again using webmail.

Discard obvious spam is off, and I don't have this sender in my whitelist.

David
Planner
Hooked

Thanks David for the update. Maybe there is something within the Lidl Newsletter that get identified as spam - possibly the links within the newsletter as told to me by PlusNet support when I logged this issue.

Anyway for me the old adage applies 'if it works - leave it alone' so I don't intend to change any of my settings such as switching 'discard obvious spam' back on or removing the alias email address I set up.

Charles  

spraxyt
Resting Legend

The Lidl newsletter I received today came through normally. Not marked as spam at any level.

This is with my spam settings unchanged from those that applied when the previous two newsletters were tagged at Level 1. I reported both of those as "not spam".

David
Planner
Hooked

Yes mine too. But I am getting some obvious spam into my in box so I will reset the 'discard obvious spam' setting to 'on' to see if it has any effect.

thanks

Charles