cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet mail not received in gmail

FIXED
Foulksie

Plusnet mail not received in gmail

I have an issue that my wife and I both have gmail accounts. We can happily send emails from gmail to Plusnet, but mails from Plusnet (via the Webmail or Outlook client) are sent successfully but not received. I have successfully sent to other gmail accounts, and can send to my gmail accounts from say Hotmail either by Outlook or by Webmail. It isn't the end of the world as I use gmail very little indeed but I don't understand if the issue is with Plusnet or gmail (I have tried new emails and replying to gmail emails with the same results). No message filtering on Gmail and both platforms using IMAP.

Has anyone else had similar issues? (p.s. not an IT novice - retired now but IT programmer / consultant for  many years!)  

12 REPLIES 12
dl1

Re: Plusnet mail not received in gmail

I am seeing the same issue with plusnet emails sent to gmail and yahoo. In yahoo the mail is going to the spam folder.

In gmail, the recipient sees the mail as spam and is marked as suspect due to SPF or DKIM.

A possible reason is that plusnet may not  have set up their SPF record correctly or gmail have recently changed something about their use of SPF / DKIM.

Refer: https://www.sparkpost.com/blog/understanding-spf-and-dkim/

One thing to try is to add the plusnet mail address to the contacts list in gmail and/or setup a spam filter in gmail:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/mVnwwvrcISE

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Fix

@Foulksie Are you sure the messages sent to the gmail.com address never arrive?

There is a topic Mail delivery to recipients taking 5hrs plus covering delayed delivery. Messages referenced there have been delayed for various periods from 3 minutes to over a day. My own experience runs from instant delivery (once) up to 160364 seconds delay (that's 1 day, 20 hours, 32 minutes, 42 seconds). However every message I sent was eventually delivered,

Plusnet are investigating this behaviour under Incident Management Team reference IMT-2206.

David
Foulksie

Hi Spraxyt.

You are right - the messages arrived in gmail in the middle of the night last night!

Thanks for the feedback.

Foulksie

Foulksie

Thanks dl1.

I have added my PlusNet address to my gmail contacts, but so far this hasn't made any difference to the delivery speed.

The messages just turn up (eventually!).

Other recipients on Gmail seem to get them right away....

Thanks for the advice.

Foulksie

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Hi @Foulksie

Thanks for the update - glad to hear the messages did eventually arrive. Smiley

Plusnet have acknowledged the delay problem and are continuing to work on it.

David
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

I recently sent an email to a contact's gmail address. We've had no problems in the past but this email finally arrived in her inbox 48 hours later. The mail bore the exact time/date that it was sent from my Plusnet email client.

I have tried sending test emails to my own gmail address. One went missing completely while two arrived in my inbox at 0400 - a good 8 hours after I had sent them.

My latest test email sent fron my Plusnet account took 2 hours to reach my Gmail account.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@dl1

A warm welcome to the forums.

A possible reason is that Plusnet may not  have set up their SPF record correctly or gmail have recently changed something about their use of SPF / DKIM

If it were the case that ALL emails sent from ALL Plusnet accounts to ALL gmail accounts, then that could be the case.  However, as discussed in detail in the topic liked to in @spraxyt's post...

1. These standards are not mandatory and Google has no place to impede the delivery of said emails UNLESS the SMTP server is otherwise black listed
  2. Emails sent to PAID FOR gmail accounts are not being impeded, therefore I would have reservations that this is due to SPF / DKIM concerns - if Google were so concerned as to not accept mail from a domain not having SPF / DKIM then they would be doing that in respect of all recipients
  3. If this were a SPF / DKIM problem, then one would expect email sent through the same SMPT servers … but using a user's own domain name … would also be delayed - they are not

The cause is less than clear and Google are not being overly helpful on their support forums.

@mods might this topic be locked in favour of the linked one please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SwissRoll
Dabbler

Can anyone refer us to anything that Gmail has pubished on their support forums or elsewhere. ? What is the best place to complain to Gmail about this? Incidentally, for those thinking that they can get round this by setting up an independent email account at hotmail or gmail and sending from that: it doesn't work. It is not the sender's e-mail address that Gmail doesn't like - it's the fact that the message is being sent by plusnet's SMTP server. Or so it seems to me.
SwissRoll
Dabbler

Incidentally, the problem is *not* fixed despite this thread being marked as such.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

I have an open thread with Google support.  Unlike this forum, staff do not appear to be present offering help.  See https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/d/msgid/gmail/bc4c4fd1-2a32-4193-9525-19a515cc7c...

If this was the simple “it’s Plusnet’s SMTP servers” as you seek to suggest, then there would not be the inconsistent behaviour between sending to paid for / free Gmail accounts, nor sending from @Username.plus.com and @mydomain.co.uk

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Incidentally, for those thinking that they can get round this by setting up an independent email account at hotmail or gmail and sending from that: it doesn't work. It is not the sender's e-mail address that Gmail doesn't like - it's the fact that the message is being sent by plusnet's SMTP server.

@SwissRoll

That's interesting information, could you possibly confirm that and maybe post in the main thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Mail-delivery-to-recipients-taking-5hrs-plus/td-p/1549161/page/7

AFAIK, from previous testing , it appears that the problem is related to sending from <username>.plus.com accounts. Sending via the plusnet SMTP servers from other domain accounts hasn't shown any problem.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note:

Thread locked in favour of the one linked to by @MisterW above.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine