cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fixed IP is blacklisted -stops email

brunomartelli
Dabbler

Plusnet fixed IP is blacklisted -stops email

I can't get email, after being online with website support it turns out that my fixed IP is blacklisted.
They say "due to low ISP reputation". So Plusnet - can you improve your reputation and/or make sure the fixed ips you give out arent already on blacklists?

Tags (3)
14 REPLIES 14
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Plusnet fixed IP is blacklisted -stops email

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Email.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Which 'website support' ? And I'd query the 'due to low ISP reputation' claim - if that were true, there would be more than you complaining.

John
brunomartelli
Dabbler

Bluehost

I have previously had the same issue to do with the IP being blacklisted and had to change the fixed IP.

jab1
Legend

Obviously not via the forums. I still think you are being misinformed, or Bluehost are wrongly blacklisting PN IPs.

John
brunomartelli
Dabbler

I'm being misinformed by who? Bluehost?

jab1
Legend

Yes.

John
brunomartelli
Dabbler

In my experience, every provider of a service always goes to great lengths to make sure that if a problem exists, it is always somehow the users fault....

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

When you say "I can't get email" do you mean you don't receive e-mail or you can't send it?

And is it to/from one particular e-mail address or all?

jab1
Legend

@brunomartelli ?? Don't understand that comment. If Bluemail are blacklisting a Plusnet IP (or range of IPs, as that message implies), it is up to them to sort it.

John
brunomartelli
Dabbler

send or recieve

brunomartelli
Dabbler

Bluehost say that my fixed IP was blacklisted elsewhere.
As I said I have literally had this problem before with a Plusnet fixed IP being blacklisted and also the owner was listed as someone else (not plusnet) because plusnet got them in bulk from wherever they get them from which is what i was told by plusnet support. PN support told me that in the past if the previous owner had spammed a lot then the IPs could be on a blacklist e.g SpamHaus. 

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

OK, I'm not quite seeing the whole picture yet. 

You use Bluehost e-mail, not Plusnet e-mail?

But you are using it from a Plusnet account?

And Bluehost are blocking their service for you because you have a Plusnet IP address?

If you PM me your static IP I'd be interested in checking what blacklists it is on.

jab1
Legend

@brunomartelli wrote:

Bluehost say that my fixed IP was blacklisted elsewhere.
As I said I have literally had this problem before with a Plusnet fixed IP being blacklisted and also the owner was listed as someone else (not plusnet) because plusnet got them in bulk from wherever they get them from which is what i was told by plusnet support. PN support told me that in the past if the previous owner had spammed a lot then the IPs could be on a blacklist e.g SpamHaus. 

Blacklists - if reputable and correctly maintained, will periodically release IPs, but if Bluehost use lists which are not correctly maintained, they will get dodgy/incorrect information. When IP blocks are transferred between ISPs, the location provider  companies are so advised, and they are supposed to keep those records up to date. If they don't/can't be bothered, or their customers can't/won't pay for the updated records, then they are failing in their duties - IMO.

John
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

@brunomartelli What's the IP address? (PM it if you prefer) From this we can dig deeper into what reputation it has and what you might be able to do help clean it up.

Further details on your setup would be helpful e.g. are you running a mail server or just a client connecting to an external mail provider?

When I got my static IP (for running a mail server on) I had to put a bit of effort into getting it a good reputation. It wasn't 'dirty' as such, but there was a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation of someone who can't borrow money because they don't have any credit history.