Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet email with outlook 2019

FIXED
JW8
Hooked

Plusnet email with outlook 2019

I've just bought a new laptop and installed office 2019. I've setup outlook following all if the instructions for IMAP. I can send from the account but cannot get my inbox to populate and can't work out why. I've entered my username / password, set the incoming server to imap.plus.net using port 993 and SSL/TLS. 

Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Plusnet email with outlook 2019

Hi @JW8, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're unable to get emails coming into your newly set up mail client. Looking over your port number it doesn't seem right and what could be behind the issue you're seeing.

I'd recommend checking out the great guide seen here on steps on how to set up your email client as this may help you resolve the issues seen. Let us know how it goes.

JW8
Hooked

Thanks @BD. I think the problem is that there are too many documents out there with different settings. I have now tried the settings as per the document you referenced but still no joy. I can send, but my inbox still appears empty. I have attached a word doc with screen shots of my settings and would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

There is nothing wrong with the port settings - IMAP port 993 with SLT/TLS is correct. The issue you described suggests that with that mailbox you need to specify the root folder as inbox

I’ve seen this a few times with OL but not found rhyme nor reason why.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JW8
Hooked

Thanks @Townman, how do I do that?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

One of the configuration screen shots had a field “root folder” put “inbox” in it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JW8
Hooked

Thanks @Townman. I have tried putting "inbox" in, but still no joy (screen shot attached). The account settings test without any problem. Can still send without any problems, just cannot see the inbox (screen shot attached)

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Fix
Did you right click the mail folders in the OL navigation bar and do a refresh imap folders?

JW8
Hooked

Thanks @Townman. Just tried that and inbox doesn't appear. All other folders do. Tried to refresh the list but still not there.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Would there be a mail item in the inbox with a massive attachment?

Try increasing the time out.

Does the test settings option in set up report success for both IMAP and SMTP?

What does send / receive dialogue report?

JW8
Hooked

Thanks @Townman. I tried changing from "inbox" to "Inbox" and it appears to be working. Inbox still doesn't appear in the imap folders list, but it is now populating. Thanks for your help.