Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet email via POP on desktop, IMAP synch on mobile

wanderyonder
Grafter

Plusnet email via POP on desktop, IMAP synch on mobile

Hello
Currently, I am receiving my Plusnet email on my desktop PC via POP, and have my email program (Mozilla Thunderbird) set to leave the inbox messages on the server for 7 days before deleting them from the server.
Now I also wish to setup my Android phone (version 4, Ice Cream Sandwich) so that its email program synchronises by IMAP just those recent 7 days of emails in my inbox.
Should this work, or is there a reason why I couldn't have this POP access on my desktop as the same time as this IMAP on my phone for the same Pusnet email account?
(Hope I haven't confused the issue with my description here.)
Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Plusnet email via POP on desktop, IMAP synch on mobile

IMAP access on as many devices as you like should show all the messages currently in your inbox. Since your desktop computer is deleting messages older than 7 days then "all the messages" should be just the last 7 day's worth.
So using IMAP on your Android phone should show just messages from the last 7 days. However the IMAP and POP3 lists might not be exactly synchronised until the mail box is compacted so IMAP might list messages which technically have been deleted. Is it that which is puzzling you?
IMAP usually provides means to compact the mailbox which would permanently remove 'deleted' messages.
David
wanderyonder
Grafter

Hi spraxyt
However the IMAP and POP3 lists might not be exactly synchronised until the mail box is compacted so IMAP might list messages which technically have been deleted. Is it that which is puzzling you?

I haven't yet set up on my Android phone the IMAP access to my Plusnet email.  I just wanted to ask beforehand if what I wanted to achieve would create problems, to save me from wasting time.
Thanks for your advice.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I see no problems with what you propose but what's the point?  You could have both devices using POP3 and leaving a copy of the messages on the server for 7 days.  Or you could set your PC to also use IMAP in which case you should also be able to read messages sent from either device on either device.