Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet email and EE4G

FIXED
Hazel74
Rising Star

Plusnet email and EE4G

We currently have 2 internet providers as landline broadband is so poor in this part of the country.  So we have Plusnet broadband and also EE4G.

So we are just trying out the EE4G, and my Plusnet email does not seem to work properly with it?  I can receive emails however not send them.  Clearly this is not ideal.  I have an old BT email, so I tried to use this, and it sent no problem with EE4G.

I am using Outlook 2007 client on a laptop and have had no issues with email until today.

I would appreciate any thoughts, I have tried to play around with port numbers to no avail.  If I change back to the Plusnet broadband signal the email goes through no problem. 

Thanks for any replies 🙂

21 REPLIES 21
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Plusnet email and EE4G

When using a non plusnet connection to send mail, you will need to  use smtp  authentication on  the outgoing server ( relay.plus.net ) . Use the same username sand password as for the incoming server.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Hazel74
Rising Star

Thank you so much for that.
Could you be a bit more specific please?
How do I use SMTP on the outgoing server?
Many thanks.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Sorry if I wasn't clear, the outgoing server is already smtp. All you need to do is enable authentication and enter your username/ password

Look at step 4 in this link for an example https://www.authsmtp.co.uk/outlook-2007/default-port.html 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from General Chat to Email. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Hazel74
Rising Star

Thanks so much, I will try that later and let you know if I succeed.
Hazel74
Rising Star

I just clicked on the link provided below however I get 404 Page not found. I tried several times but just got the same.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

@Hazel74 Sorry , try this https://www.authsmtp.co.uk/outlook-2007/default-port.html

Not sure what is wrong with the first one, but it was done from my tablet in a slightly sleepy haze earlier this morning

Aah! its got a couple of stray characters on the end of the link

Hazel74
Rising Star

Thank you! I am on a ferry so will try later and let you know if sorted.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Note: In looking at linked to settings, you are only interested in the OUTGOING server (SMTP) details - ignore the fact that incoming is POP3 if you are already using IMAP.

Also, personally I would use the "use same details as the incoming server" under the log on to SMTP server settings.

After all of that, you still might not be out of the woods.  Even with correctly configured SMTP sever settings you might still see username / password failures over EE4G, but caused by a different problem.

Connections to the SMTP servers, especially from "off" the Plusnet network face sever security profiling.  If the dynamic IP address the EE4G network assigned to your connection has been abused in the past, then access to the SMTP server might be blocked for that IP address.  This will (unhelpfully) be reported by OUTLOOK as a username / password failure, which it is not!

Verifying that you can send emails successfully when connected to the Plusnet network (on port 587) with logon to the SMTP server configured, will ensure that everything is as it needs to be when you then try over EE4G.  If that fails, then we look elsewhere for a resolution.

Hazel74
Rising Star

Whoop Whoop!  Done 2 tests and this appears to have worked!  Am so grateful as it means I won't have to change my email address 🙂

A couple of questions...if I use Plusnet instead of EE, do I need to change those settings back?  And how come I have encountered this problem with EE - when my mobile is Vodafone and there is no change of settings needed to send Plusnet emails with them?

Thank you again 🙂

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

No, you don't need to change the settings back. Although its not necessary, authentication will still work when connected to the Plusnet network. As regards the Vodafone mobile, are you sure you weren't connected by WiFi to the Plusnetvrouter when sending ?

Basically , you can only use an un authenticated connection if on the Plusnet network

Hazel74
Rising Star

Ok that's great 😃

I sure wasn't connecting to Plusnet Broadband when sending emails, only a 4G signal when on the move in Shetland, and even that is hard to find sometimes 😄

Thanks for all your help and posts today.
Hazel74
Rising Star

Further to this, over a week later I am experiencing the same problem again, I cannot send outgoing emails.  I keep getting prompted for a password.  The username and password in the prompt are already filled in and are correct.  I have over written them with the same information and this does not help.

Again, any help much appreciated.  Something has changed since after 4pm this afternoon, it was 1552 hours when I sent my last email.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

As before, you’ll see password errors on sending if the IP address presently in use is on a sending black list, as assigned by the mobile operator.