cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Webmail : Sent emails missing from sent folder - Shocking customer service

FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

Plusnet Webmail : Sent emails missing from sent folder - Shocking customer service

I keep getting regular error messages such as:

"Server Error: Failed to send Fetch command"

" Server Error : status: Courier Imap server shut down by signal"

"Loading" messages that hang and where I have to close the browser page down and log back in.

"An error occurred when saving sent message Server append courier Imap server shut down by signal"

"An internal error occurred. Please try again"

Also when I try to edit or manage 'Contacts'  and try to save the changes, I get that "Loading" message again and it hangs forever. I can't click anywhere except close the browser and try and log back in again. 

Out of frustration I sent an email to the BT CEO and have not got a satisfactory answer . Basically , the technical support people cannot recreate the these errors via my mailbox so they say they cannot assist. 

Here are their findings:

a.  I am unable to locate any notification we have on record to confirm your sent box has been archived.

b. If using a POP3 mailbox, all information can only be downloaded once and is not stored on our server. Should you be using an IMAP mailbox, this would allow you to store all sent emails on all devices.

My answer:

The problem with sent emails not appearing in the 'sent folder' happens intermittently and usually after various error messages appearing on the screens . I have a copy of the screens with these error messages which I've attached below.
Why aren't plusnet addressing all these irritating and frustrating errors appearing ? I understand you don't wish to spend money supporting this product so why not give the option for the customers to migrate all their emails to another mailbox (like outlook or gmail, etc)? I no longer regard your webmail system as 'fit for purpose' and will be one reason why I will move both my phone/broadband to another supplier once this contract ends. You are not providing an adequate level of service availability and its obvious that your webmail servers are deficient (either because they are poorly maintained or do not have built-in capacity to work in any efficient manner).

Response from Plusnet:

I've now forwarded your screenshot and email to our Network Ops Team, to further investigate the issue you have raised. I'm unable to assist with network issues directly as we do not have the systems available to us, however I will await further instruction from our back office team.

My next reply:

I have just now sent 2 emails and both of them are no longer in my sent folder . I know I sent them because I received 'failed delivery' automatic replies saying the recipients mailbox is full . So your system is somehow not keeping copies of my sent emails even though they are being sent . That is a serious problem for me because I now I have lost an audit of emails relating to a legal matters between myself and my solicitor. If you don't fix this problem soon I will send another complaint to the CEO of BT again.

Response From Plusnet

Your complaint is currently assigned to ourselves in the Advocates Team, as we fall directly within the Executive Department of Plusnet/BT, and we will address any concerns you may have with urgency. We appreciate that this issue is a serious problem for you, and we will do everything we possibly can to further assist you in this matter.I would therefore, kindly request that you direct any further correspondence to myself directly using the contact details provided at the bottom of this email.As mentioned in our previous communication, the issue has been raised to our Network Operations Team to see if there is anything further we can do to address this matter. I understand from our records that your mailbox is currently at 444MB, therefore we can discount the mail account being at capacity. I will chase this issue for you, and we will hopefully find a resolution for you.

My reply:

I am now receiving phone calls from my utility companies saying that they are receiving 'undelivered email messages' to my plusnet webmail address.

Here is the email message they have received:

"Message bounced - Temporary error
We were unable to deliver the message to this email address due to connection issues with the remote server or the recipient’s mailbox is full. Please try sending the message again after some time."

Here is another problem on webmail : You go into 'contacts' and try and try and do anything, like edit or delete a contact and your system hangs forever on a 'Loading' message . You have no choice but to close the browser screen and try and log on again.Today has been absolutely abysmal , with a plethora of error messages and the whole email system is just not fit for purpose

I have attached copies of the screen errors  to prove they are happening.

I've attached a copy of the screen that just hangs on a 'Loading' message . You cannot manage any contacts on plusnet webmail without having to add one person , try and save it , then watch it 'hang' , then close the browser screen and log back in from the start. This is hopeless!!!

Response From Plusnet:

On reviewing your account further, our Network Operations Team are assuring me there is no fault with our webmail service. I raised this again on the back of your recent correspondence, and was advised a second time that no issues had been identified with your mailbox account.They did however suggest deleting some of your emails to help speed up the mailbox, as they believe the amount of storage could be preventing the mails you have sent from appearing in the folder.No recent reports of our webmail function have been reported, therefore the issue you may be having could be related to the browser you are using.I would suggest clearing your cookies and cache, or try an alternate browser. If the issues still persist I will try raising the issue once more for you.

My response:

I've just sent you the screen copies showing the error messages yet your people say there is nothing wrong!!! That is the most ridiculous worthless reply I've ever received from a supplier. Okay , lets me make a diary of every screen error message I get for the next week .I do not want this ticket closed until the problem is resolved , and blaming my browser is unacceptable. Watch this space because now I am annoyed by your response and I WILL be contacting the BT CEO again. In fact I will send him copies of all the error messages and ask him for his personal opinion.

Response from Plusnet:

I'm genuinely sorry for your the issues you have had with regards to your webmail account. I appreciate how frustrating this matter is, but I will continue to pursue this issue for you until we have an answer.I've raised your feedback on to our Network Operations Team to further investigate, and I will advise them that you are happy to have the password reset in order for them to recreate the issues.

My reply

I've added another screen print showing at least one of several error messaged received today . There was another 'Send Fetch signal' error that I couldn't capture in time. I've noted the approximate time the error in the attachment happened. Some really strange things have been happening all day today with folder screens suddenly going blank (as if the saved emails had all disappeared from the folder). I have to press the refresh button again to retrieve them.

Plusnet Response

Thank you for your recent email highlighting the ongoing error messages you have experienced.

I appreciate your patience in this matter.

Having provided further information to our Network Operations Team, they have remotely accessed your email account via the webmail portal, and unfortunately they have not observed any error messages. This of course maybe due to the intermittent nature of the problem, which makes this all the more difficult to find a resolution.

No issue have been identified when viewing sent items by the above team, and all emails are showing with evidence that mail is being saved. As the mailbox has over 400MB of mail, I'm told that the service will continue to be slow and fail to load at times, and unless the system is updated by Plusnet the webmail function will continue to work the way it currently does.
The Networks Team have advised that nothing further can be done to change this. This is how webmail is at present, and they advise that you remove all old mail which will speed up loading and may reduce errors. The alternative is to use a client via a third party provider should the free mailbox not be suitable in its present form. I'm genuinely sorry that our Networks Team have been unable to provide a better outcome, regrettably there is nothing further we can do with the current webmail functionality.

Another Plusnet response:

Thank you for your patience whilst we've investigated your complaint.

Having provided further information to our Network Operations Team, they have remotely accessed your email account via the webmail portal, and unfortunately they have not observed any error messages. This of course maybe due to the intermittent nature of the problem, which makes this all the more difficult to find a resolution.

No issue have been identified when viewing sent items by the above team, and all emails are showing with evidence that mail is being saved.

As the mailbox has over 400MB of mail, I'm told that the service will continue to be slow and fail to load at times, and unless the system is updated by Plusnet the webmail function will continue to work the way it currently does.The Networks Team have advised that nothing further can be done to change this. This is how webmail is at present, and they advise that you remove all old mail which will speed up loading and may reduce errors. The alternative is to use a client via a third party provider should the free mailbox not be suitable in its present form. I'm genuinely sorry that our Networks Team have been unable to provide a better outcome, regrettably there is nothing further we can do with the current webmail functionality.
We believe we've now fully resolved your issue. I'd like to thank you for your patience whilst we've dealt with it.Should you wish to get back in touch with me in the meantime, please feel free to either respond to this ticket or, call me on 0800 587 2677

Don't think the issue's been resolved?
=============================
If you're not happy with the outcome, or think the issue hasn't been fixed, please do get back in touch and we will do everything we can to discuss this further and reach a satisfactory resolution. If we don't hear from you within 28 days we will class this complaint as fully resolved and close this complaint ticket.

For information on our complaints code of practice please see here:

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/

If your complaints remains unresolved for more than 8 weeks (56 days) or we are unable to reach an agreement we will inform you of your right to use our ADR Scheme. Please note you will need an ADR (alternate dispute resolution) notification from us in order to use this service. This correspondence is not classed as signposting or an ADR notification. For your information the ADR scheme we use is below:

Ombudsman Services: Communications
PO Box 730
Warrington
WA4 6WU
Email
enquiry@ombudsman-services.org
Website
ombudsman-services.org/communications
Telephone
0330 440 1614
0330 440 1600 (textphone)

My reply:

After our phone call, it seems I couldn't access the internet . Somehow your people messing around with my password lost me access for most of today . I had to spend 30 mins with your technical support to try and gain access . Because my router was old , they could not get it reauthenticated so I would have lost access until a new router was installed (which would have taken several days). Thankfully I already had a new router which I hadn't installed for several months which was part of my new contract with plusnet . The support person got me access back to the internet in the afternoon for it to fail again this evening . All the buttons on the router were green except the internet one, which was red . I tried contacting your customer service helpdesk but it was closed . I then tried resetting the router back to factory mode and by luck managed to gain access to the internet.
I wish to understand why I lost service to the internet twice when all I wanted your people to investigate was a webmail problem? The fact that you could have risked my access to the internet for many days because of a webmail issue is quite astounding. It was only by luck that I had a new router available.

Response from Plusnet:

I'm sorry to hear that you had to call back through to our Technical Support Team with loss of broadband. It appears that your router had lost authentication, as the password had been changed due to our Network Ops email investigations. The email password is linked to the account you have with us, and is the same password for connecting your router to the local network. Although the above team had changed the password, this usually will automatically update itself, and regrettably this was not the case. Please accept our sincere apologies for this loss of service. As a good will gesture I have applied a credit of £25 to your account, this will be visible on your next invoice.

My reply 

Thanks for the £25 which I will happily accept considering the still ongoing issues I am having with my webmail today . Again I have lost important sent emails to my solicitor and I am now getting every angry indeed . I would like this ticket re-opened regarding sent emails not being captured in my sent email folder . Please note that I will not be wasting any more of my time going through the ombudsman because they do not deal with webmail issues . I will be sending another email to the BT CEO with copies of the all the dialogue of this ticket . It is shocking that confidential emails are being lost in your systems and I cannot even retrieve them or the attachments.

So there you have my torrid customer service experience with Plusnet.   The bottom line is this

"No issue have been identified when viewing sent items by the above team, and all emails are showing with evidence that mail is being saved.

As the mailbox has over 400MB of mail, I'm told that the service will continue to be slow and fail to load at times, and unless the system is updated by Plusnet the webmail function will continue to work the way it currently does."

How would anyone in their right mind ever become a customer of Plusnet !!!!  

Message to the admin person on this forum :

I HAVE KEPT A COPY OF THIS POST AND THE DATE AND TIME - I KNOW YOU ARE DELETING MY POSTS SO PLEASE STOP OR I WILL ESCALATE TO THE BT CEO .

14 REPLIES 14
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Re: Plusnet Webmail : Sent emails missing from sent folder - Shocking customer service

Hello,

Try the steps here https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Standard-Webmail-Round-Cube-slow-performance-mitigation/m-p/1715... as that’s been proven to improve the performance.

FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

Re: Plusnet Webmail : Sent emails missing from sent folder - Shocking customer service

Hello - Yes I read your fix over a year ago and implemented it and had no problems . I've just checked again and 'blimey'  the box for 'none' is blank again - why has that happened ?  I've just flagged  the 'none' button again and saved it.

Many thanks again for your assistance but why are the 'Technical Support' unaware of this fix?

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

I’d imagine a knowledge gap possibly. Do you still get issues with errors and sending mail?

FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

I'm not getting as many signal failed or fetch errors . Although I am sometimes getting 'internal server' errors.

Many thanks for finding this fix and I've asked the senior managers why their Technical Support didn't know. 

FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

The technical support team doesn't know about your fix even though I gave them your link . But for some reason, while investigating all these internal errors they have managed to do 2 things:

1. Lost my access to the internet messing around with my passwords 

2. All my folders and saved emails have disappeared. 

You are correct , the technical support people don't seem to have the knowledge and skills to manage their own webmail system. This is a shocking indictment on BT /Plusnet and I want OUT !!!!!  

I've sent another email to BT CEO Jansen with a copy of the ticket transcript - I hope he feels proud.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Message to the admin person on this forum :

I HAVE KEPT A COPY OF THIS POST AND THE DATE AND TIME - I KNOW YOU ARE DELETING MY POSTS SO PLEASE STOP OR I WILL ESCALATE TO THE BT CEO .

@FAILSAFE01 

As far as I can see we have not deleted any of your posts.

I have checked the spam filter and found none of your posts in there.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

That's good to know.

Anyhow , this will be the last time I post anything on this forum as I've had a gutful of Plusnet

FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

Just to add that I ended up finding and fixing the missing folder problem myself. 

It seems the technical support people in their wisdom unsubscribed my folders , therefore I went into 'settings/folders' and ticked all the boxes next to my folder names (which were present in the Settings screen). 

Hey presto , all my folders appeared again  when I clicked back on 'Mail' . 

I've sent an email to Mr Jansen thanking his technical support for wasting so many hours of my time.  Wondering whether he will offer me the option to leave Plusnet in the middle of my contract ?  I certainly do not wish to be a customer anymore to a third rate technical support team.

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Good morning @FAILSAFE01 Smiley

I am sorry to hear about this ongoing issue, my understanding is that this matter is already being case handled by Ken in our Advocates Team. I've updated the question on your account with this forum post and let your case handler know. They'll be in touch.

Have a lovely day! Cheesy 

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

Actually you did not publish my original post because I just found it . You delayed publishing it because you thought it was SPAM.

I basically proposed that all plusnet webmail customers send a complaint email en masse to the BT CEO . It is truly a shocking service (if you can call it a service!!!).

FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

Being sorry doesn't help your customers considering you've been parroting the same insincere apologies for over 15 months . Maybe you should try being proactive for a change and put some fixes in to make the webmail run more efficiently rather than spending your time dealing with frustrated customers .  It's false economy thinking you can offer a mix of services and hope that customers will turn a blind eye to ones that are below any acceptable standard. It will damage your brand and your customers will leave (like I will ) forever.  

Have a lovely day 😂

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

@FAILSAFE01 wrote:

Hello - Yes I read your fix over a year ago and implemented it and had no problems . I've just checked again and 'blimey'  the box for 'none' is blank again - why has that happened ?  I've just flagged  the 'none' button again and saved it.

Many thanks again for your assistance but why are the 'Technical Support' unaware of this fix?

It will have changed, because at some time or another you must have changed the sort sequence by clicking on one of the column titles.

Clear technical support do know of this, for they provided the mitigation, it might though not be the first thing front line agents think of.  Such however does not explain emails being missing from the sent folder.  To be clear, these are emails sent using the browser based webmail application?  If yes, which one standard mail or basic mail?  Is this Plusnet branded or a legacy brand email service?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

Apologies for not replying as I very rarely access the community forum .  I just have basic plusnet webmail service and usually access it via my broadplus login. 

The last few months has proved to me that the plusnet webmail is unworthy to be called a service .  Anyhow , I've given up complaining to their Customer Service people and am now arranging a different contact email address for my utility and financial services. (and any online registrations) .  In 6  months time I will be free of this truly awful Plusnet company forever .

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

The problems you describe relate to the web browser interface to email, not the email service itself.  Why do you not consider the use of an email client.  Most devices come with one pre-installed, however I would not recommend Win10's Mail program.

If you do not want to subscribe to OUTLOOK 365 there are a number of fairly good free email clients, such as Thunderbird, which could be used as an alternative interface to email.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.