Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet POP server not responding

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Plusnet POP server not responding

@nozzer Correct, I am still seeing bouts of failure, but maybe one in four attempts by Mailwasher Pro succeeds, so it is a case of poy-luck as to which of the virtual servers it hits.

John
Novagal
Grafter

Oh dear, looks like it is an intermittent fault and my praises to the PlusNet fix was a little premature!

Back to where I was this morning......frustrating.

Novagal

BoneMan
Grafter

Yep, POP service is up and down like a ... (choose your own metaphor 😉 ) 😞 Come on PN. Get it sorted please ... and quickly.

jab1
Legend

It is in hand - see earlier posts.

John
weller1500

It worked for a while, but it's now broken again........

PeterSoul
Grafter

I have essentially the same problem, running OE Classic client on a PC and a laptop:

-   From around yesterday, on the PC, 8 or 9 out of 10 email download attempts from my Plusnet mailbox have been failing -- then (randomly) it works and the emails come through.

-   The error message is "Socket Error #10060 - Connection timed out."  It appears after 20 seconds (whether I set the Timeout for the account to 1 min or 2 mins).

-   But simultanously my client accesses & downloads emails from another source with never a problem.

-   On the laptop, trying to download from a different Plusnet mailbox for an hour resulted in the error message every time.

-   On webchat, I was told that as I'm using a 3rd-party client, the problem can't lie with Plusnet: really?

jab1
Legend

@PeterSoul Did you read the topic from the start - PN were made aware of the problem early yesterday morning, and work to resolve the problem equipment was put in hand.

A temporary 'fix' was also advised.

John
PeterSoul
Grafter

Actually, I only read the start -- the OP's message. I confess I didn't notice all the follow-ups until after I had posted!  Anyway, the problem seems to have been sorted now.

vaper
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Just to update as of current time - still having same problem on relay.plus.net but ok using 212.159.9.81 instead. (Using Thunderbird 52.3 (32-bit) )

TrishaM

I'm having the same problem - started today.   I can send from my email address but not receive (checked this by sending a test message to myself which I picked up using Webmail but has not arrived in my 'normal' inbox).   Not really computer-literate so I guess I'll just use Webmail for the time being rather than change any settings, and hope that the POP server starts responding again soon.  

Shack

I'm having this problem also: An error occurred with the POP3 mail server. Mail server mail.plus.net responded: 

Running Thunderbird 52.4 on Win7 64bit with free AVG. Tried shutting down AVG email protection and can now get mail again. This seems to have happened only since a recent Thunderbird update, or is that coincidence?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

just started working here

jab1
Legend

Not for me it hasn't - although Mailwasher Pro is not reporting problems, Thunderbird won't d/l the messages.

John
hungerdunger

I've got intermittent problems here too.  Webmail and my Android email app work fine, but using Pegasus email on my desktop and laptop I keep getting the message

11:20:54.061: Connect to 'pop3.vodafoneathome.co.uk', timeout 120 seconds.
11:21:16.093: 15: Peer connect failure

I can send messages, but can't retrieve any.

vaper
Grafter
Fixes: 1

There is another recent thread opened on this problem at:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Collecting-POP-3-email-not/td-p/1486525.

It seems to be a fairly common problem at the moment.