cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet IMAP Service very Slow with Microsoft Outlook 2016 IMAP

neilhobbs
Rising Star

Plusnet IMAP Service very Slow with Microsoft Outlook 2016 IMAP

I use Microsoft Outlook 2016 (latest version available through Office 365) on a Microsoft Windows 10 Home laptop for accessing my Force 9 mailbox via the IMAP protocol and I have noticed since yesterday (Thursday, the 12th of January) is getting slower and slower.  Today it is practically grinding to a halt when sync'ing.

I am connected to the Internet using Sky, over which I connect to your IMAP server and I send via SMTP2Go.  Both the Sky and SMTP2Go services are working absolutely fine.

I assume you are still having issues.  Can you please advise when this will be resolved?

I'm going to guess that you're going to refuse to provide a date...

28 REPLIES 28
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Plusnet IMAP Service very Slow with Microsoft Outlook 2016 IMAP

PlusNet are either unable or unwilling to fix this. The mail service has been teetering on the edge of collapse for many weeks. You'll notice that PN staff have even stopped contributing to the subject (last post was 3 weeks ago saying they would keep us updated - aye, right!)

I'm using Outlook/IMAP too. 60Mbit fibre connection. Top spec PC. Outlook is taking over 2 minutes to synchronise (just timed it). On my Ipad there's no service as the Ipad times out before the mail server has responded.

Come on PlusNet. This is an absolute disgrace.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
neilhobbs
Rising Star

I think you're right...  I was on this forum before Christmas when the Webmail interface was practically unusable and PlusNet staff were being rude and unhelpful.  I did get a lot of valuable help from Bob Pullen though.

I have just tried to download all of mail via another installation of Microsoft Outlook on my Mac, which is configured as a POP3 client and it took over 3 mins to connect and download 100 small e-mails.  That is simply unacceptable.

I agree with you that PlusNet are a disgrace...

neilhobbs
Rising Star

As expected...  there hasn't been any comment from the Plusnet staff on this issue in a week...  the company's tag line is 'We'll do you proud'...  this is a lie...

neilhobbs
Rising Star

I am finding the IMAP Service very much unusable this morning.

I can log into the Webmail service and see e-mails, which Outlook isn't able to display over the IMAP connection - it completes the 'Send and Receive' operation successfully, but the new e-mails don't appear.  I ran the 'Send and Receive' operation twice between the 11:30am and 12:05pm today (Monday, the 23rd of January 2017) and nothing was displaying.

I then closed Outlook and re-opened it at 12:07pm and the 'Send and Receive' operation again completed and this time all of the e-mails appeared.

I can confirm that both my Internet connection via Sky is working fine, as I can connect to any website on the Internet and the SMTP2Go service is working perfectly!

The issue that I am experiencing is with Plus Net's IMAP Service.

I have had this thread open for over two weeks and not one member of the Plus Net Customer Staff has made a comment!  Are you choosing to ignore a customer?

@bobpullen Can I ask you to comment on this please?  As you are the only member of the staff who is providing a service.  Many thanks in advance

neilhobbs
Rising Star

Why did it take over 5 mins for Outlook 2016 to connect to the Plusnet IMAP Service and display 32 new e-mails?  This was at 18:30 today, on the 23rd of January 2017...

@bobpullen  Can you please advise on what is going on?

neilhobbs
Rising Star

@Anoush As you are on the forum at the moment...  Can you please reply to this thread?

No member of Plusnet staff has commented on this thread since I created it...

neilhobbs
Rising Star

And Plusnet are still refusing to update this thread...

What is happening?

neilhobbs
Rising Star

I can see two things...  there is still problems with the IMAP Service and Plusnet are still remaining silent...

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hi @neilhobbs, I'm really sorry that you're still having issues with IMAP, as I advised in the other thread we're aware that some customers are still struggling to access their emails and we are still working on ways to improve things.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
neilhobbs
Rising Star

@JonoH I have just come back in after a few hours out and I have opened Outlook 2016 and it has been sat there for over 10 mins trying to connect to your IMAP Servers.

Both my Sky Internet connection and Outlook is working fine...  What is going on?  What are you doing to resolve this?

neilhobbs
Rising Star

10 minutes later and Outlook is still trying to connect to the Plusnet IMAP servers.  In other words - no change...

That means that Outlook has been trying to connect to the Plusnet IMAP servers for 20 mins... 

neilhobbs
Rising Star

@JonoH I haven't had any access to my mailbox in 5 hours now!  What is going on?

malcolmfowles
Hooked

Same as everyone else. Slow (minutes) or non-existent responses using Outlook. Plusnet, you are on the edge of headlining on consumer websites. BT should not think they'll escape either.

The least you could do is tell us what is happening and what is being attempted.

neilhobbs
Rising Star

@JonoH  Your users are asking what is going on...  You are being silent...  Unacceptable!!