Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Email servers giving random SMTP 550 errors for inbound emails

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 84

Re: Plusnet Email servers giving random SMTP 550 errors for inbound emails

@thunderbird6 wrote:

This problem badly affects systems using automated mail. We manage an ecommerce site for one of our clients and PlusNet users frequently don't receive order acknowledgements or confirmations due to Plusnet bouncing them (they are not re-sent).

Are you able to provide us with as much of the below as possible

• Headers
  • Bounce back received 
  • Sender email address 

Along with anything else that you think might be helpful and I'll take a look

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
cerij101
Dabbler

Oddly, this problem seems to have gone away for me (at the moment). I recently transferred my sending domain to a new host, as part of which I set up SPF and DKIM - previously had SPF only. At the moment I haven't had a single bounce...

brianccsw

Like@thunderbird6 I run a large insurance site that is also experiencing the same issues when mails are received via mx.avasin.plus.net.

As a lot of the emails from our system are automatic there is not really a simple method to just 'resend' unless they are manually resent.

There have been a few complaints from Plusnet customers not receiving emails from us and our team are now advising those affected to contact Plusnet directly as the customer is obviously unaware these mails and others are being rejected.

I am more than happy to provide support with help and logs if of any interest to Plusnet.

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 27

Hi Brian,

A warm welcome to the forums.  I have flagged this offer of help to the area investigating the issue.  Thank you.

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 84

Thanks, @brianccsw sorry that you're experiencing this, we'd love a sample of your logs and your server address to help us identify the problem (feel free to PM me).

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Kwak
Grafter

I'm surprised this is taking so long to solve Sad Plusnet can surely just spend like a couple quid to register a domain via someone else with whom it is known to fail, setup email forwarding, then start sending test emails to this domain and watch as they randomly fail? Or setup an email client and start sending emails OUT through plusnet from it with the "from" set to a domain, and again watch that randomly fail? That's if it even IS related to forwarding through a domain and not just a more general problem.

The fact the outgoing fails as well as incoming you would think points to some common DNS component failing on both, you wouldnt't even need to buy a domain to test outgoing failing.

It really is worrying how many emails people must be missing due to this? Sad