Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Email servers giving random SMTP 550 errors for inbound emails

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Plusnet Email servers giving random SMTP 550 errors for inbound emails

Hi all, I understand this is taking a long while to resolve but we're definitely still working to resolve this so thanks a lot for your patience. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
acleach
Hooked

Adam, it may give some reassurance if you could say what the cause is, what the resolution is, how you are going to implement that and how long it will all take.

Simply saying "We're working on it" every few months doesn't inspire much confidence, I'm afraid.
JohnSackett

Just to say that we are a Plusnet customer and sometimes people sending us emails get the same thing

550 #5.1.8 Domain of sender address <REMOVED> does not exist

Needless to say, the domain does exist.

Best Regards,

John

lozzer1

Same here.

xxxxxx@xxxxxx.plus.com
    host mx.avasin.plus.net [212.159.8.200]
    SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<xxxx@dtmsoftware.com> SIZE=24174:
    550 #5.1.8 Domain of sender address <xxxx@dtmsoftware.com> does not exist
Reporting-MTA: dns; dtmsoftware.servers.prgn.misp.co.uk

Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;xxxxxx@xxxxxx.plus.com
Remote-MTA: dns; mx.avasin.plus.net
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 #5.1.8 Domain of sender address <xxxx@dtmsoftware.com> does not exist

My domain DOES exist and I can send emails to other people.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

These are intermittent problems. A resend should be successful.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

lozzer1

Hi Townman

Okay, thank you for your advice.

cerij101
Dabbler

Hi Plusnet. Well over a year now and nothing has been resolved. I am a total layman but I fail to see why this issue cannot be resolved. Many of your customers might be losing legitimate inbound mail and you don't appear to be assigning significant priority to the issue. What is actually happening at this time?

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

I am really sorry that it's still ongoing @cerj101, we are working to resolving this but we don't have more info than this I'm afraid.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
gariac

I'm not a plusnet user, but my emails to plusnet are sometimes bouncing as indicated in this thread. This just started in December 2018.

<[redacted].plus.com>: host mx.avasin.plus.net[212.159.9.200] said: 550
#5.1.8 Domain of sender address <[redacted]> does not exist (in reply
to MAIL FROM command)

I run my own email server using virtual domains on postfix, so perhaps I can't make my email as kosher as you want, but I'd like to work on this. Maybe I can be contacted via email? I work hard to make my email as acceptable as possible, i.e. i use spf and dkim. I'm only allowed one reverse pointer for my VPN.

maidbloke
Hooked

@gariac please reply to the thread if you ever get a response from Plusnet to your helpful suggestion. I suspect you won't as their whole attitude to this issue seems to be a general "yeah, we are working on it" without any detail.

cso
Hooked

The fact this item has been going on for over a year gives me a distinct impression that Plusnet don't really care about things like this... 

It's very annoying and ends up causing a lot of extra hassle for the people that are supporting the systems that can't send to Plusnet addresses.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

A warm welcome to a new face here.

If this was a simple issue it would have been fixed a long time ago. This is not the firm easy to define / identify issue your posting seems to suggest you consider it to be. It is an intermittent issue, which anyone encountering typically finds that the problem is not encountered upon reattempting to send the email.

For the avoidance of doubt, this is not likely to be an email service issue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cerij101
Dabbler

Any ISP which has not resolved this issue after more than one year is both inept and negligent.
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @cerij101,

I'm sorry that this issue is still ongoing and I'll pass on your feedback about this.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
cso
Hooked

I’m only new because I don’t spend as much time on the forums as I used to do (and didn’t recall whether previous accounts could be recovered) 😉

The problem is that it sems that Plunet haven’t actually tried to do anything about it in over a year...

Yes, it is an intermittent issue... no, resending does not always work unless you do it two or three times.

However, as a person that’s trying to email a Plusnet user, your first thought when an email bounces is not ”Oh, I think I’ll retry that just in case it’s an intermittent issue at the receiving email server’s side” it’s to give up sending things.

The only reason that the people in the voluntary organisation I work with do that is because one of the addresses it did it too happened to be one of my addresses that go to the Plusnet mail infrastructure and I did some experimentation to see what was happening.