Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Email servers giving random SMTP 550 errors for inbound emails

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Re: Plusnet Email servers giving random SMTP 550 errors for inbound emails

@thunderbird6 wrote:

This problem badly affects systems using automated mail. We manage an ecommerce site for one of our clients and PlusNet users frequently don't receive order acknowledgements or confirmations due to Plusnet bouncing them (they are not re-sent).

Are you able to provide us with as much of the below as possible

• Headers
  • Bounce back received 
  • Sender email address 

Along with anything else that you think might be helpful and I'll take a look

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
cerij101
Dabbler

Oddly, this problem seems to have gone away for me (at the moment). I recently transferred my sending domain to a new host, as part of which I set up SPF and DKIM - previously had SPF only. At the moment I haven't had a single bounce...

brianccsw

Like@thunderbird6 I run a large insurance site that is also experiencing the same issues when mails are received via mx.avasin.plus.net.

As a lot of the emails from our system are automatic there is not really a simple method to just 'resend' unless they are manually resent.

There have been a few complaints from Plusnet customers not receiving emails from us and our team are now advising those affected to contact Plusnet directly as the customer is obviously unaware these mails and others are being rejected.

I am more than happy to provide support with help and logs if of any interest to Plusnet.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Brian,

A warm welcome to the forums.  I have flagged this offer of help to the area investigating the issue.  Thank you.

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Thanks, @brianccsw sorry that you're experiencing this, we'd love a sample of your logs and your server address to help us identify the problem (feel free to PM me).

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Kwak
Rising Star

I'm surprised this is taking so long to solve Sad Plusnet can surely just spend like a couple quid to register a domain via someone else with whom it is known to fail, setup email forwarding, then start sending test emails to this domain and watch as they randomly fail? Or setup an email client and start sending emails OUT through plusnet from it with the "from" set to a domain, and again watch that randomly fail? That's if it even IS related to forwarding through a domain and not just a more general problem.

The fact the outgoing fails as well as incoming you would think points to some common DNS component failing on both, you wouldnt't even need to buy a domain to test outgoing failing.

It really is worrying how many emails people must be missing due to this? Sad

kitz
Aspiring Pro

You can add my domain to the list also experiencing issues.    It has been affecting forum notifications for a while as that address is unmonitored, but it was only really brought to my attention today as it is also affecting personal correspondence I was trying to send to a Plusnet user.

Error message

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

xxxxxxx@xxxxxx.plus.com
    host mx.avasin.plus.net [212.159.9.200]
    SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<xxxxx kitz.co.uk> SIZE=8090:
    550 #5.1.8 Domain of sender address <xxxx kitz.co.uk> does not exist

From what I can see, the issue appears to be intermittent, in that it will bounce mail for a few days, then go back to normal, for it then to start happening again a few weeks later.

I'm surprised that you are unable to track this issue down.   Plusnet mail users may not be receiving important mail Sad

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

This is not an issue specific to any individual domain. It is quite random.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kwak
Rising Star

I just recevied a paper letter today from my bank saying that they'd had to send me it because, though I'm paperless, their attempts to email had bounced. And we know why that is, plusnet randomly bouncing emails forwarded via domains Sad

I had a friend this week say he had tried twice to email me and only the 3rd attempt had made it.

Plusnet have known about this problem for a ridiculously long time now, I see more people complaining about it today, e.g.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Problem-with-emails-forwarded-to-Plusnet-by-123-reg/td-p/1622836

Do they actually have anyone actively looking at it it all? Everyone understands that issues like this might pop up, what is annoying is serious issues like this going on for months and the feeling nothing is getting done about it Sad

DRWDRW

I'm getting this error too.  Emails from my domain hosted by one.com are being bounced by plusnet with a 550 error.  Chat told me it was being marked as spam (even though spam isn't anywhere in the error messages) and the mails are being reported to the very email address that plusnet says doesn't exist.

Chat told me to email "abuse@plusnet.com" but I've not even had an acknowledgemet let alone any response.  Finally tracked down this thread and find it's a common problem.

As I'm a Plusnet customer I'm able to email myself and see both ends of the problem.

When will this be fixed? Seems to have been going on for some time.

coraledge

Can I add my name to the long list of Plusnet customers whom other people are having difficulty sending emails to?

My credit card company can no longer email me statements.

2 of my customers keep telling me there is something wrong with my email because they get bounces.

A new partner is having the same problem.

What gives Plusnet - why is this so hard to fix?

Mark

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @coraledge, thanks for your post.

We're sincerely sorry to hear that you're being affected by this issue/

Are you able to send over the exact bounce back message you're receiving?

@DRWDRW - Are you also able to provide the same?

coraledge

Sure, here you go.  Sometimes his emails get through, and sometimes they don't:

The original message was received at Sat, 23 Mar 2019 09:55:38 GMT
from cpc134260-whit5-2-0-cust177.know.cable.virginm.net [82.16.216.178]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
[Removed]
(reason: 550 #5.1.8 Domain of sender address [Removed] does not exist)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to mx.avasin.plus.net.:

MAIL From:[Removed] SIZE=63740 BODY=8BITMIME

<<< 550 #5.1.8 Domain of sender address [Removed] does not exist
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

DRWDRW

Reporting-MTA: dns; mailrelay1-2.pub.mailoutpod1-cph3.one.com
Received-from-MTA: smtp; [192.168.1.108] (146.90.254.52)
Original-Envelope-Id: 9f9bb2ca-403f-11e9-8e16-d0431ea8a283
Arrival-Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2019 18:42:42 +0000
Final-Recipient: rfc822; liz@xxxxxxx.plus.com
Action: failed
Status: 5.4.7 (Message could not be delivered in the allotted time frame)
Remote-MTA: dns; xxxxxxx.plus.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 #5.1.8 Domain of sender address <xxxxxxxxx@ravenshome.co.uk> does not exist
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @coraledge and @DRWDRW,

Thanks for providing us this information. We're still investigating this issue and will provide a further update once we know more.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team