cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Android Email setup guide produces faulty smtp configuration

vodsoft

Plusnet Android Email setup guide produces faulty smtp configuration

New phone: Alactel One Touch S'Pop/4030X.  Android 4.1.1.  Email 4.1.
Following the recently updated Plusnet setup guide for Android mail leads to a faulty smtp configuration.
    http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/android-setup.shtml
I have repeated the setup following those instructions several times, reading all the text and notes.  Always the same result.
In the explanation below I am using nigel@birdseed.plus.com in place of the real address.
IMAP works.  SMTP does not.  Messages stay in the Outbox.  They will not send.  I found where send is failing.
The phone does connect to the Plusnet server, but the smtp session fails as follows:
    MAIL FROM: <birdseed>
    550 <birdseed> invalid address
The Plusnet mail server requires an email address there.  This is using Thunderbird:
    MAIL FROM: <nigel@birdseed.plus.com>
    250 <nigel@birdseed.plus.com> sender ok
I have tried changing every option I can find in the Androied Email client to 'nigel@birdseed.plus.com'.  None solve the problem.  Android Email appears to be using the IMAP username in the MAIL FROM: command.  This leads to a problem.
* IMAP login requires 'birdseed+nigel'
* MAIL FROM requires 'nigel@birdseed.plus.net' (any email address with a valid domain)
A single string can't be both at the same time. 
So the question: Is there any way with this phone to configure the Android Email client to use birdseed+nigel as the username and nigel@birseed.plus.com in the MAIL FROM command ?
Either I missing something obvious, or this is a problem affecting relatively few people.  If this was a general problem with Android Email and Plusnet smtp, it would very conspicuous.
Some bits of additional information:
I tried the MAIL FROM behaviour of a few major smtp servers.  I found just one that did not require an email address, gmail.
K-9 mail works.  So I am not stuck for a solution.  But this is weird enough to enquire about.
This is the only Android phone I have.  I can't easily compare to another working Android Email setup.